What's new

Joshua Bell Legato Issue?

tim727

Hey guys, I just bought the Joshua Bell Violin yesterday and seem to have noticed an issue with some of the legato samples. I've noticed this issue in the transitions between various pairs of notes, but the most glaring one so far seems to be between Bb3 and Eb4. If you listen to the brief demo of the issue, you'll see that I start by alternating between F3 and Eb4 ... then I go to F#3 and Eb4 ... and so forth all the way until I get to Bb3 and Eb4. I did this so that you can hear the difference between this full set of note pairs and how all the other pairs sound fine while in the Bb3 --> Eb4 transition there's clearly something amiss. The issue first manifests at 0:14 in the recording and can then be heard frequently from that moment until the end of the recording. It seems that roughly 50% of the transitions are afflicted.

I should mention that I'm certainly no musician ... and only a hobbyist composer. I do not know how to play an actual violin and don't consider myself an expert in its sound ... but to my ears something does sound wrong here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Try going into the intuition section and turn off or change slur / bow variance to suit.

This does allow one to avoid the issue. Good call. That being said ... this is indeed an issue, right?

it doesn't sound real if that's what you mean

I did mean that, yes ... but I think I meant a bit more than that as well. Maybe some will disagree but to me it seems like a non-trivial issue, especially since there are cases where it occurs on both legato types. Considering that the library does so many things so (!!) well it's just a bit of a bummer that the samples are not as pristine as I'd hoped.

I do still really like the library as a whole though and despite this issue I'm not regretting my purchase. I already own Bohemian Violin and do think highly of that lib but this one can do a lot of stuff that that one cannot.

Last edited:
I did mean that, yes ... but I think I meant a bit more than that as well. Maybe some will disagree but to me it seems like a non-trivial issue, especially since there are cases where it occurs on both legato types. Considering that the library does so many things so (!!) well it's just a bit of a bummer that the samples are not as pristine as I'd hoped.

I do still really like the library as a whole though and despite this issue I'm not regretting my purchase. I already own Bohemian Violin and do think highly of that lib but this one can do a lot of stuff that that one cannot.
Agreed. They are both excellent and different.

Top Bottom