What's new

Joshua Bell *Essential* ????

My guess is that this isn't allowed - just like you can't buy Komplete 12, upgrade to K12U, then sell your K12 license. The upgrade license requires the "base" license.

OTOH, if that's the case, I'm not sure I actually see any benefit to having the option to keep both licenses.
I'm guessing the Essentials takes less RAM in a project which can be great if you have limited RAM and don't need the extra articulations on a project.

I'm guessing the Essentials takes less RAM in a project which can be great if you have limited RAM and don't need the extra articulations on a project.
You do have the option to unload unused articulations manually, though I suppose the lite version has the advantage of also taking up less disk space.

You do have the option to unload unused articulations manually, though I suppose the lite version has the advantage of also taking up less disk space.
It's one of those programs where I'd like the Essentials for my laptop and the full version for my desktop. :)

Just wish I bought Essentials first rather than the full at $139. Only because for about $20 more I could have had both.

Does the full also come with any “lite” or individual patches or is it just one massive patch? If one mondo patch, what’s the RAM footprint when initially loaded?

We decided to bump the price down on the upgrade as an incentive— $90 to upgrade while swapping licenses, $100 if you want to keep both.

We’re not trying to screw anyone. We didn’t expect people would want to upgrade so quickly after buying the Essential.

Alex

@Embertone would this $90 upgrade price be possible any time of year, or just this week?

@Embertone would this $90 upgrade price be possible any time of year, or just this week?

Just this week - it will resume normal pricing after the sale. We may extend by just a few days, but beyond that, our intention is to keep the upgrade from Essential --> Full the simple difference between MSRPs. Otherwise, users could buy the Essential without the intention of using it, and immediately upgrade to Full. And it's more "paperwork" for everyone!

Thanks!

-Alex

Just this week - it will resume normal pricing after the sale. We may extend by just a few days, but beyond that, our intention is to keep the upgrade from Essential --> Full the simple difference between MSRPs. Otherwise, users could buy the Essential without the intention of using it, and immediately upgrade to Full. And it's more "paperwork" for everyone!

Thanks!

-Alex

Embertone, wonderful you have essential versions for some of your libraries. For me, I just go right in and buy your full edition libraries because they are quality. Please continue with your solo woodwind instruments. I hope you continue focus on the winds and that we may see Flute, English Horn, and Piccolo. Also hope you have some nice updates soon for your Intimate Strings series. Fantastic!:emoji_slight_smile:

Thanks!

-Alex

Thank you for following up? So does that mean Sunday December 8 or a few days after that?

Super Simple Josh Bell Essential track I just laid down. Tina Guo Cello on the lower register. Olafur piano. 2 ambient pads, that's it. Criticism/questions welcomed.

Reactions: ism
Can any of you speak to the controller keyboard(s) you are using for expressive playability?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting radically different results (on Essential) with my semi-weighted Novation SL MkII and my hammer-weighted MAudio KeyStation Pro 88. Both are older keyboards. But on this library, it seems they are 2 completely different instruments. On the semi-weighted Novation, it is hard to avoid portamento. Smooth legatos are far easier on the fully weighted keyboard. Also, dynamic control is easier on the heavier keys. I have to POUND the semi-weighted keyboard to get louder dynamic responses. While every keyboard responds differently, I am noticing a larger difference than expected for this library. I'm feeling deficits with both, but finding my standard smaller keyboard (usually preferable) largely unusable on this library.

I am unable to achieve the smooth playing of the videos. (And I am a keyboardist who can usually coax what I desire). Maybe this library simply requires more keyboard practice than most.

Can any of you speak to the controller keyboard(s) you are using for expressive playability?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting radically different results (on Essential) with my semi-weighted Novation SL MkII and my hammer-weighted MAudio KeyStation Pro 88. Both are older keyboards. But on this library, it seems they are 2 completely different instruments. On the semi-weighted Novation, it is hard to avoid portamento. Smooth legatos are far easier on the fully weighted keyboard. Also, dynamic control is easier on the heavier keys. I have to POUND the semi-weighted keyboard to get louder dynamic responses. While every keyboard responds differently, I am noticing a larger difference than expected for this library. I'm feeling deficits with both, but finding my standard smaller keyboard (usually preferable) largely unusable on this library.

I am unable to achieve the smooth playing of the videos. (And I am a keyboardist who can usually coax what I desire). Maybe this library simply requires more keyboard practice than most.
Most keyboards allow you to adjust the velocity curve in some way. A search suggests like the Novation offers a few different curves. (I don't have a novation, but pretty much every keyboard offers this). Go to Novaiton's site, find the manual and search for velocity, you should be able to find the instructions on how to change the curve easily.

Most keyboards allow you to adjust the velocity curve in some way. A search suggests like the Novation offers a few different curves. (I don't have a novation, but pretty much every keyboard offers this). Go to Novaiton's site, find the manual and search for velocity, you should be able to find the instructions on how to change the curve easily.
The older Novations don't. I have a first gen launchkey. You can't change the velocity. However, I believe Kontakt may have some ability to change things.

Thanks so much!
2 Adjustments on the Novation and 1 adjustment on the M-Audio, and they are much more in-line with each other now.

I bumped up 2 velocity layers from the Default MED-2 to LOUD-2. (With Loud 1 as the highest). Mainly, I was trying to match the M-Audio for being able to play softly and loudly, with similar playing styles (which is a challenge as the keyboards are so completely different in feel). But, the 2nd loudest on the unweighted Novation seems to pair with the 2nd softest on the weighted M-Audio 88. Go figure.

For semi-weighted keyboards in general, I've been pretty happy over the years with the SL mkii. Of a dozen or more keybeds I've tried over a couple decades, I'd place it 3rd: just behind the NI S-Mk 2 keybeds and (both) quite a bit behind the Kurzweil PC3 (which has 1/2" longer keys, so they balance so much better than shorter keys). But the Novation SL mkii and NI S Mk2 keys are a good 1/4" longer than most short keyboards, making them superior to most. The short key lengths are simply a very real problem -- particularly for black notes.

I'm still having significant portamento issues on the Novation. Mind you, I'm new to the Joshua Bell library. I can imagine I will need to learn to play it like a real instrument and learn how to coax the keys to get what I'm wanting. But, it's definitely easier for me to get standard legato transitions (instead of portamento on nearly every non-fast note) on the weighted keyboard. I have 2 other keyboards I will try it on. It's usually not an issue. This library has such sensitivity and responsiveness that it seems to be highlighting the limits of my keyboards and the rust in my playing technique.

I'd still love to hear from anyone who feels like their keyboard keybed is working well for this particular library.

At the moment, I'm staying with Essential.

I bumped up 2 velocity layers from the Default MED-2 to LOUD-2. (With Loud 1 as the highest). Mainly, I was trying to match the M-Audio for being able to play softly and loudly, with similar playing styles (which is a challenge as the keyboards are so completely different in feel). But, the 2nd loudest on the unweighted Novation seems to pair with the 2nd softest on the weighted M-Audio 88. Go figure.

For semi-weighted keyboards in general, I've been pretty happy over the years with the SL mkii. Of a dozen or more keybeds I've tried over a couple decades, I'd place it 3rd: just behind the NI S-Mk 2 keybeds and (both) quite a bit behind the Kurzweil PC3 (which has 1/2" longer keys, so they balance so much better than shorter keys). But the Novation SL mkii and NI S Mk2 keys are a good 1/4" longer than most short keyboards, making them superior to most. The short key lengths are simply a very real problem -- particularly for black notes.

I'm still having significant portamento issues on the Novation. Mind you, I'm new to the Joshua Bell library. I can imagine I will need to learn to play it like a real instrument and learn how to coax the keys to get what I'm wanting. But, it's definitely easier for me to get standard legato transitions (instead of portamento on nearly every non-fast note) on the weighted keyboard. I have 2 other keyboards I will try it on. It's usually not an issue. This library has such sensitivity and responsiveness that it seems to be highlighting the limits of my keyboards and the rust in my playing technique.

I'd still love to hear from anyone who feels like their keyboard keybed is working well for this particular library.

At the moment, I'm staying with Essential.

This might be helpful. Transform / MultiCh Change Velocity can be found in the Factory ksp library. You can adjust min/max/curve, or draw your own. One advantage is that this scaling is
on the software side, so you don't have to adjust your hardware if it plays fine for other libraries, can save as a multi with JB when you like the response.

1670222514205.png

1670222612612.png

Top Bottom