What's new

John Williams - Leia's Theme - Mockup

rudi

A beautiful piece of music... besides the clarity quality of the audio, the one thing that stands out to me is the emotional and human content of your rendition - that transcends the technical details.
Thank you.

novaburst

such a great build and such a feel made me forget it was samples your using, very skilful work you did, and such a beautiful theme from Star wars loved it.

Paul T McGraw

@Ocme very nicely done. A very musical and emotional performance, which is good enough to stand on it's own merits. I'm glad you did not exactly duplicate the original, as you gave us another version that is extremely worthwhile and memorable.

OP
0cme

0cme

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback, woah. Here's the latest version, with a somewhat more wet mix and a few changes.

The original had a ton of control curves on practically everything, this doesn't really change them too much. In some places, particularly the double reeds, I felt (and still feel) a bit constrained by the 'switching' that takes place in intensity... there's sometimes a narrower window of useful expression than I'd like, beyond which it gets out of character for the phrase. I'll try another library on them someday.

In some places I've shortened the breath/rearticulation or bow-change time on repeated notes, which has a big effect on this piece's main melody. I've also rethought some dynamics and expression in the violins, and made like a million other tiny tweaks...

brunocoliveira

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback, woah. Here's the latest version, with a somewhat more wet mix and a few changes.

The original had a ton of control curves on practically everything, this doesn't really change them too much. In some places, particularly the double reeds, I felt (and still feel) a bit constrained by the 'switching' that takes place in intensity... there's sometimes a narrower window of useful expression than I'd like, beyond which it gets out of character for the phrase. I'll try another library on them someday.

In some places I've shortened the breath/rearticulation or bow-change time on repeated notes, which has a big effect on this piece's main melody. I've also rethought some dynamics and expression in the violins, and made like a million other tiny tweaks...
Man it really sounds better now! It's more "spacious" however I still feel the instrument levels a little odd in the beginning. Repeating, it still sounds awesome and I think the articulations are really realistic! But I keep imagining myself in the concert hall and even if the violins are in piano dynamic, it should be a little louder. In the opposite hand, the horn should sound a little bit farther and now I perceive it really close to my ears. I imagine like if the horn is close to me and the strings are 10 meters away.

Repeating, I think you did a really great job! Congratulations! I am just telling you my impressions :)

OP
0cme

0cme

Thanks! I think I feel where you're coming from, no worries. :) If it's the horn/violin balance, yeah... that is something I sort of wrestled with. In some of the performances I've listened to the violins recede to practically *nothing*, like the Williams/Skywalker Symphony recording, and I kind of wanted to see how far I could take it to real pianissimo. And I think maybe subconsciously I'm still like, "woah look at what this samplemodeling horn can do, holy crap!" and hesitant to hide it. I could experiment with the early reverb on the horn a bit and see if I can push it back further.

Scamper

Sample Hooter
Sounds great and I especially like the changes for the woodwinds, which seem to sit much better with the rest of the orchestra now.
Can you list the libraries used for it all?

OP
0cme

0cme

Sounds great and I especially like the changes for the woodwinds, which seem to sit much better with the rest of the orchestra now.
Can you list the libraries used for it all?
Sure, it's Samplemodeling for the solo horn, Hollywood Orch. for most everything else, Spitfire Solo and Chamber strings for the solo bit at the end, some divisi voices, and general layering on the violins. Oh and the piano is the Granduer, but the piano part is super subtle, it's almost inaudible in some performances I've listened to.

Bonus: here's David Cripps with a little anecdote about recording the horn solo back in the day.

FreddieM007

Dirk Tomandl
I made a mockup of Leia's Theme from Star Wars... not trying to recreate the original London recording or anything. I love that recording but it's very unique, I was going for more of a straightforward "orchestra in a nice hall" sound. I'd be particularly interested in feedback on how the final mix sounds, mastering feedback, anything that jumps out, etc. Thanks!

Fantastic! Sounds better than most real orchestras. Very musical and emotional interpretation of John Williams' music. Well done.

Top Bottom