JBL LSR 308s... anyone used these?

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by asherpope, Mar 8, 2019.

1. asherpope

asherpope Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Hey learned folks, I'm looking for some monitors and some JBLs have come up. Anyone had experience with them?
    I'm in the process of setting up a new studio and am in the market for some decent reasonably priced monitors

2. Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1 Stroking The Frog

Jan 31, 2012
    La La Land
    Those are widely regarded as being the best you can get in their price bracket.
    I use them at work and am very satisfied with them.
    I have them calibrated with Sonarworks, but A/B with their un-calibrated state for a slightly more hi-fi sound.

elpedro and asherpope like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    asherpope

asherpope Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Awesome, thanks for your input!

4. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    i have used the 305s for a 4 channel installation - they were amazing value for money. I would buy them again

5. brynolf

brynolf Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Stockholm
    They are now Mk2, and pretty much changed their name to 308P. But many stores still call them LSR. Very confusing.

But regardless of the name, they are great for the price.

6. wst3

wst3 my office these days

Apr 2, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I do not like "for the price" or "in this price range" as qualifiers, but in this case I will make an exception. I had a pair of the 305s in my studio for quite a while. I will probably add them back one of these days. They are good loudspeakers, not necesarilly honest, but not so hyped that you can't make a decision with them. If you like a mix on these it will most likely translate well to other places.

elpedro likes this.
  7. Fab

Fab protect your ears!

Feb 18, 2016
    They are Ok and cheap, you won't be so mad when your little cousin pokes in the tweeter.

I have the 305s as my main monitors, though mine are a bit noisy with the hiss.

8. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

Oct 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    same here w the 305. i tested agains my focals and held up pretty nicely.

elpedro likes this.
  9. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Have 305s personally and love them. My ear is not nearly as perceptive as most around here though.

elpedro likes this.
  10. thesteelydane

thesteelydane Senior Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    I also love my 305s - but my mixing ears are probably not as developed as they should be. If the new MkII series is as good or better, you really can’t go wrong.

elpedro and whiskers like this.
  11. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

I have worked a lot on the 305 (used to use them as surrounds) and they're nice. I've heard that the 308 aren't as good despite the lower end extension. Interestingly enough, with the 705 and 708 it's the opposite where the 708 are better because the 705 have some port resonance issues.

elpedro likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    asherpope

asherpope Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks a bunch guys! Some really helpful insight. There's also an option of buying the LSR subwoofer too. The question is, will I need it? I'm planning on treating the room (panels, bass traps etc) and hsve read some conflicting reports on the need for subs

elpedro likes this.
  13. elpedro

elpedro Active Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Canberra
    I love mine, and the transient response is outstanding for the money. I ended up getting the subwoofer, which gave me a lot better low-end definition, recommend getting the sub, I ran without it for a week, decided to get it and it really made a big difference.Not great monitors , but good, good enough......

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    asherpope and whiskers like this.
  14. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    The 305s were my first set of "real" monitors and they were a huge step up. For the price, I highly recommend them. I had a few resonance issues with the rear port that I had to treat. I am finally at the point where I'm thinking of spending thousands as opposed to ~ $200. They will get you far.