What's new

Jacob Shea’s career advice

According to the criteria you either require a Masters or self taught but super talented. How does one measure super talented? Isn't it highly subjective?

I don't know Luke, you might have to get back in the trenches;)

I would love to apply but I’m not in a financial position to live in LA at the moment. And if I was, I’m not even remotely good enough to get selected. There are some scarily talented people out there! Looks like an amazing opportunity for the right people!

Sorry to derail this further but I am curious how much money someone would need to live in LA for a year whilst not earning anything to do something like this Score Academy? I just can’t imagine being able to spend a year from earning anything. Feels like it’s aimed at rich people!

Sorry to derail this further but I am curious how much money someone would need to live in LA for a year whilst not earning anything to do something like this Score Academy? I just can’t imagine being able to spend a year from earning anything. Feels like it’s aimed at rich people!
$3000/mo for a crappy apartment...

Maybe Tom will let the person sleep on a couch, or a cot, in the studio. You could sell it as living for the experience!:thumbsup:

Just rent a room from someone in Palms or just South of Culver City. It’ll be dirt cheap and you’ll basically just sleep and just shower there. Very close to Santa Monica. If you aren’t actually assisting or being a runner then you won’t need a car. If you want to really do this the vi-c hivemind local to LA can help you figure out the unknowns.

Somewhere between $900-$1500 a month for a cheap studio or apartment share on the west side of LA, somewhere like Culver City. Perhaps less if you live far away but then you're paying for a car, gas, spending hours in traffic. Anyway that's $10-18,000 minimum for the year and then you need food and insurance. Probably about $20-30k all told.

Somewhere between $900-$1500 a month for a cheap studio or apartment share on the west side of LA, somewhere like Culver City. Perhaps less if you live far away but then you're paying for a car, gas, spending hours in traffic. Anyway that's $10-18,000 minimum for the year and then you need food and insurance. Probably about $20-30k all told.

Sheesh!

Why not just go to college out in LA and do music as a minor or on the side? You’ll bump into a bunch of other musicians if you network.

No need for couch surfing or panhandling to be some composer’s stooge.

Sheesh!

Why not just go to college out in LA and do music as a minor or on the side? You’ll bump into a bunch of other musicians if you network.

No need for couch surfing or panhandling to be some composer’s stooge.
Cause Tom brings you straight to the table;)

Just rent a room from someone in Palms or just South of Culver City. It’ll be dirt cheap and you’ll basically just sleep and just shower there. Very close to Santa Monica. If you aren’t actually assisting or being a runner then you won’t need a car. If you want to really do this the vi-c hivemind local to LA can help you figure out the unknowns.
I think he lives in Encino (right in the valley). You can probably get some cheaper living arrangements nearby (ie a room in a house etc)

I think he lives in Encino (right in the valley). You can probably get some cheaper living arrangements nearby (ie a room in a house etc)
Yea...i’d imagine that some sleepier parts of the valley could be pretty cheap if you are just renting a bedroom. If you work backwards and find a place not far from a metro stop, bring your bike, etc.

Top Bottom