What's new

I've Bought My SECOND TO LAST String Library

I haven't cracked yet. :)
I am done buying string libraries too, and I don't even have most of the pricier ones that are held in the highest regard here.

My issue is that when I "geeked out" in 2016 and became obsessed with having EVERY musical instrument possibility covered in virtual form, I began relentlessly pursuing holiday deals, outlet sales etc., and bought an absurd number of various string libraries, some really good, some good but limited, and some not so much. I could type out a list, but this would be both long and embarrassing...

...Meanwhile I'm still just dabbling amateurishly at orchestration. Although I do work on something music-related every day, there are so many educational rabbit holes to fall into: Besides orchestration, there is general theory, jazz theory, old-fashioned piano practice. Then there is the whole home studio audio engineering side of the street: Mixing, using effects, DAW tips & tricks etc.

I've entirely stopped caring how the libraries I have might compare with any of the ones that I don't. I already have far, far more than enough to make music, and to a degree that is nothing less than ridiculous. There are still some pop/rock/jazz solo horn colors I wish to acquire, but beyond that I am DONE buying VI's period, strings or otherwise.

For the first and only time in my life, I fell into a consumeristic trap. It's like someone who decides they want to practice yoga and meditate, so they fall in love with buying incense, yoga mats & pillows, special spandex clothing, books, Tibetan chimes etc., and this becomes the primary infatuation rather than the real work of doing yoga and actually meditating. I became something like that with VIs, but I'm over it now.

"I've Bought My Last String Library"

Errr... no. No you didn't. Nobody ever does that. :laugh:

Well actually I think its time to stop with this string library buying its just to much and i am finished with it.
..................there is just one more I am going to check out because i hear the tone is out of this world and that is it. ......oh and then i am waiting for the BF sales to pick just one more up and i am through.
I heard there is a developer in the process of creating a really good string library i might just go for that and i promise its my last one no more...........

Then i am going to start on getting my brass up to date ....... but that dont count as strings ....does it:whistling:

For the first and only time in my life, I fell into a consumeristic trap. It's like someone who decides they want to practice yoga and meditate, so they fall in love with buying incense, yoga mats & pillows, special spandex clothing, books, Tibetan chimes etc., and this becomes the primary infatuation rather than the real work of doing yoga and actually meditating. I became something like that with VIs, but I'm over it now
Sh*t.. I just realized...

Well actually I think its time to stop with this string library buying its just to much and i am finished with it.
So what next? You moved to brass?? Haha

became obsessed with having EVERY musical instrument possibility covered in virtual form, I began relentlessly pursuing holiday deals, outlet sales etc., and bought an absurd number of various string libraries, some really good, some good but limited, and some not so much. I could type out a list, but this would be both long and embarrassing...

Lol! I'm pretty sure that most of this forum is in the same boat, myself included. If it makes you happy, there are worse things to blow your money on. If it makes you feel better, I have six complete drum kits, over fifty cymbals, and too many guitars.

Every time I read the headline for your post it renews my admiration for your certainty and self-control.

And then...

I start wondering that if it has satisfied you so much, should I put Spitfire Studio Strings on my Christmas Wish List? I am very happy with CSS, but I would never say I have bought my LAST string library, because I just don't know. What if something crazy good came out at some crazy low price?

Maybe if I spent money on SSS I would be completely satisfied and I would never spend any more money. My life would be complete, String Library-wise.

And then I wonder... regular one or full one with all the microphones?

And then I wonder... regular one or full one with all the microphones?
Full one, no comparison (I have both). It's not just the mics, it's the extra sections. I know people call them "divisi" but that's not really what they are. Basically, you get two chamber orch-size string sections (4/3/3/3, (no extra basses) in addition to the full one, plus you get almost-first chairs due to the mics (mic 2 is the first chair mic). You can mix and match for days.

It's 210 gigs. It feels like it. :)

Full one, no comparison (I have both). It's not just the mics, it's the extra sections. I know people call them "divisi" but that's not really what they are. Basically, you get two chamber orch-size string sections (4/3/3/3, (no extra basses) in addition to the full one, plus you get almost-first chairs due to the mics (mic 2 is the first chair mic). You can mix and match for days.

Thanks! Good to know it's only 210 gigs. I thought it might be a big library.

With the money I spent on strings libraries over the past 20 years, they could rebuild a sizeable part of the roof of the Notre Dame.

And yet, with all these terrabytes of samples, I still can’t do any of https://users.telenet.be/deridderpiet.be/StringsMontage.mp3 (this). There’s not a singe second in this 11 minute collage — and I could easily have made it an 11-week collage — that can be rendered convincingly with any of the libraries, or combinations thereof, ever released.

_

That’s cause you suck :)

It is divisi since the actual recording of the ensemble is 8,6,6,6,3...though it was 4 CBS but maybe 3. Then twice split by 2 additional recorded sections of an a and b. Blended with all three it sounds amazing BUT...you definitely need the additional Mics to pull it off. I got a nice big sound out of them. Quite happy.

It is divisi since the actual recording of the ensemble is 8,6,6,6,3...though it was 4 CBS but maybe 3. Then twice split by 2 additional recorded sections of an a and b
Correct. I don't want people to get the idea that there is some sort of "auto-divisi", there isn't. And, only the core articulations are covered, as mentioned above with the lack of portamento in the small sections.... but the small sections are awesome. ;)

I am now a huge fan of this library.....

..... but I don't like the legato celli. Shorts are great, everything else is great, but I can't get the celli to "sing". Maybe I suck, that's always a possibility. ;) Or, maybe they are just lifeless and staid cello samples. Violas sound great legato. I've tried sneaking in first chairs (LASS, CSSS, Tina Guo) but the section Spitfire celli just ain't a-doing it.

Which means I have to buy more stuff. Aww shucks. :)

I am now a huge fan of this library.....

..... but I don't like the legato celli. Shorts are great, everything else is great, but I can't get the celli to "sing". Maybe I suck, that's always a possibility. ;) Or, maybe they are just lifeless and staid cello samples. Violas sound great legato. I've tried sneaking in first chairs (LASS, CSSS, Tina Guo) but the section Spitfire celli just ain't a-doing it.

Which means I have to buy more stuff. Aww shucks. :)
What's happening exactly? And are you using the divisi celli?

but I don't like the legato celli
ok..Think I know the issue. The celli in this library...and the library as a whole, is not meant for super lyrical music...and the lack of vibrato is what's killing them. Compared to other libraries, SStS has minimal vibrato as a whole, and I actually like that flexibility...if you need something that is super emotional, then maybe this library isn't the best choice.

I also think the cellos don't have a nice sweet attack...it's a bit harsh and to the point, and that also kills it a bit. I think as with any library, there isn't one that does everything well..always a give and take. I love the sound overall, and for how I am using the cellos, it works...but I definitely hear what you mean...they don't "sing".

but I definitely hear what you mean...they don't "sing".
I think overall heaviness of sound. I have made some progress by making custom 6/3/3 mixes with a lot of mic experimentation. It just seems a little stale, somewhat hard to put my finger on it.
if you need something that is super emotional, then maybe this library isn't the best choice.
I have a real cellist at my disposal as well, he'll be overdubbing tracks. This is good. :) I overdub violins and violas.

Top Bottom