I've Bought My Last String Library

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by robgb, May 13, 2019.

1. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    I picked up Studio Strings Pro last week, and I'm kind of in the same situation as Rob... it could very well be my last string purchase. (But that shouldn't be too hard to believe when you look at the instrument pictured on my avatar -- string libraries are obviously not my bread and butter.) Between Spitfire Studio Strings Pro, CSS, Audio Modeling SWAM solo strings, and a few other string libraries, all of my string needs for the foreseeable future have now been met.

If only this realization were a cure for GAS.

David Cuny, MartinH. and robgb like this.
  2. DerGeist

DerGeist Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Is there a good accordion library. Looking to pioneer Epic Klezmer.

Polkasound likes this.
  3. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Polkasound! He makes awesome accordion sample libraries.

Henu, jbuhler and Polkasound like this.
  4. DerGeist

DerGeist Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Hah, didn’t realize the OP was a developer. Will check it out.

5. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I'm just now discovering the Time Machine patches with their stretch controller. Wow.

Polkasound likes this.
  6. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    I purchased my last string library but it lasted until another great string library made a great sale offer,

Jokes aside....... It really depends what type of work you do or what type of music you compose,

So different types of writing require different types of tone, so the idea of a last string library will never work for someone who composes a lot of cinimatic and epic work they need to have so many different types of tones at their finger tips.

Also you may get a request to use a certain library that you have not purchased yet but soon will when you get the request.

How you blend or layer needs a lot of choice if you work that way.

Parts of string library's sound better than other so again choice.

When you think about it there are not many top end string library's out there so for someone to have all of them is normal.

sekkosiki likes this.
  7. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I bought my last wife. Although sometimes I wonder if I should worry when she refers to me as, "the incumbent..."

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 12:58 PM
  8. mikeh-375

mikeh-375 old school

Feb 8, 2016
    Earth
  9. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I think choice is good. But I also think that with a couple good, solid libraries you can do pretty much anything you want. Layering, mixing, EQ, filtering, etc., can do a lot toward getting exactly the sound you need when you need it.

novaburst and shawnsingh like this.
  10. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
    That's cute. You'll buy a new one before 2020 :)

kessel likes this.
  11. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    I guess it's mind set in the end, we all have our approach, we all paint pieces differently,

kessel likes this.
  12. Dex

Dex Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Regular or Pro?

13. re-peat

re-peat Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
    With the money I spent on strings libraries over the past 20 years, they could rebuild a sizeable part of the roof of the Notre Dame.

And yet, with all these terrabytes of samples, I still can’t do any of this. There’s not a singe second in this 11 minute collage — and I could easily have made it an 11-week collage — that can be rendered convincingly with any of the libraries, or combinations thereof, ever released.

_

mojamusic, JohnG, ism and 3 others like this.
  14. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    What recording reference is that? Just curious to know..thanks.

15. re-peat

re-peat Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
    A bit of everything, Alexander. Things I grabbed from my music collection. If you’re interested in one or more particular fragments, let me know and I’ll give you all the details (composer, piece, performer, record label, …).

_

16. Paul Grymaud

Paul Grymaud Active Member

17. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Regular. With Pro you get divisi instruments, more legato patches, and several more microphone positions, but I'm not sure it's worth the added cost.

Dex likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Care to wager? ;)

EgM likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    You will never be able to render any sample instrument to rival the real thing. There are too many mechanical and human factors involved that can't be duplicated with sample instruments. The question I have is WHY would you want to reproduce this? As a learning exercise, maybe, or just for fun, but as a final produced piece of music? What's the point? Simply by their nature, sample libraries will always be limited.

20. mojamusic

mojamusic Active Member

Sep 20, 2006
    I, too have purchased my last string library. I have VSL, Embertone, LASS, CSS, CSSS, Orchestral Tools, and Albion (1 & 5). I don't need anymore string libraries.

Now what's this talk about LASS 3?

JohnG likes this.