What's new

It is almost there now (bh violin expansion2)

I was surprised to see Viola Expansion 2 on the page, since the Viola isn't even out yet.

I believe there was a blog on the Composer's Input page that mentioned they would be releasing Vln Exp.2 before the Viola, but that when the Viola is released it will go straight up to Exp. 2

I believe there was a blog on the Composer's Input page that mentioned they would be releasing Vln Exp.2 before the Viola, but that when the Viola is released it will go straight up to Exp. 2
Yeah, that's what it said in the comments to the page as well. It was just surprising to see, and I initially did a double-take, and wondered if I'd somehow missed the viola launch!

Yeah, that's what it said in the comments to the page as well. It was just surprising to see, and I initially did a double-take, and wondered if I'd somehow missed the viola launch!
No, you didn’t miss it ;D

Its a wait with virharmonic, but eventually it will be an interesting vi.

PS: Do you have either of them btw? Violin/cello?

Demos sounds great. Recommend this library?
I would surely.

It does have its own tone and characteristic that is different then f.e. embertones joshua bell’s violin.( leaving out the cello atm)

This is a very playable lib, but if you want to get specific ( which I recommend) then you can do a lot more with it then only the playable part can do for you

I would surely.

It does have its own tone and characteristic that is different then f.e. embertones joshua bell’s violin.( leaving out the cello atm)

This is a very playable lib, but if you want to get specific ( which I recommend) then you can do a lot more with it then only the playable part can do for you

Totally agree with this. The player does a pretty good job in interpreting and applying articulations on the fly but I think this instrument truly reveals its power when you start to use the forced key switches and different bowing keys manually... then it really shines.

It's definitely worth spending the time to develop fluency with these libraries.

I found the transition from the first version of these instruments to the second version difficult, and I still tend to go back to the original violin when I just want to noodle, as it seems to conform better to my playing. I also find that I have to write for the sweet spots of the new versions of the instrument—it's harder to get it to do what I want even though the new instruments are much more flexible than the originals. I've also found it hard to get the violin and cello to play well with each other, since each instrument seemingly has its own mind about the material.

Overall, though, they are very fine instruments, and my comments are just nitpicks.

I found the transition from the first version of these instruments to the second version difficult, and I still tend to go back to the original violin when I just want to noodle, as it seems to conform better to my playing. I also find that I have to write for the sweet spots of the new versions of the instrument—it's harder to get it to do what I want even though the new instruments are much more flexible than the originals. I've also found it hard to get the violin and cello to play well with each other, since each instrument seemingly has its own mind about the material.

Overall, though, they are very fine instruments, and my comments are just nitpicks.
Similar experience. There is something about the expansions as they are now that feels to intermediate.

Like you say, allthough more flexible but somehow harder to ‘master’.
The auto bowing I put off f.e. since it gets too ‘nervy’ when using it in a melodic phrase or lyrical fashion.

The cello especially I liked the first version better then the expansion, allthough most here seem to like the new version better.
The vibrato mainly is what is overall too much for me with the cello exp1. I hope the exp2 will add no vib to vib options( not artificial obviously because thats not the concept, but recorded)

And lastly I do use cc11 a lot to get more soft dynamics when beginning or ending a phrase.

Beautiful instruments. Part the difficult in getting them to play nicely with others (or each other, though only have the cello) is the phrasing is baked in.

At least this is the case with the 'virtual performer' which, as a virtual performer obviously can't make decisions about which arcs to choose based on what's happening elsewhere in the piece.

One approach is to compose concertoesquely - build everything around the cello line for instance. This can give very nice results. And in some sense there are soloists, so that the way they were made to be used. I'd be skeptical of whether these instruments will ever be great for string quartets, even when the viola and bass are out. (Although Vir Harmonic are capable of amazing innovation, so I'd be very happy to be proven wrong).

But I've also done some experimenting with trying to use the keyswitches to get better control in crafting the arcs.

A lot of the demos I hear are clearly just leaving in to the virtual performer, with mixed results, at least if you listen closely to the phrasing.

Wondering if anyone's gone deep into crafting phrases via key switching?

Top Bottom