What's new

Is this there better generic ethnic library than RA?

Definitely get Celtic Era @ysnyvz ... it's an incredible library.

@JPQ I will second what some others suggested. Anything Tarilonte is gold and although none of his libs to date feature a koto, if you really need that particular instrument you could always get it on its own in a different lib. Also keep in mind that Best Service almost always has a 2 for 1 deal on Tarilonte's libraries around New Years ... so you may be able to get Ancient Era Persia + Forest Kingdom II or Celtic Era for around $250 total. Just something to think about.

getting different libs is one serious problem money why i even search all in one solution. and i try think how i can use with hollywood orchestra with vsl special edition vol 1 extended for solo violin/cello and harp. testing this with ccx versions is hard when woodwinds/strings use mid mic and brass/percussion use main mic. and of course of close mics. if all used main mic like i understand hollywood orcehstra gold uses then is much easier. but generally i feel i need only few instruments in areas what i say. not much.

Last edited:
I didn't like RA at all when I tried their subscription service, as I think it sounded very outdated. I've got Ethno World 6 but I try to avoid it if possible. My experience is that the best libraries are the ones who are dedicated to one specific instrument, except Native Instrument's India which is awesome, and Tarilonte's Desert Winds and Epic World. I especially recommend Ilya Efimov's Duduk, Accordion, and Uilleann Pipes, and Spitfire's Cimbalom is cool.
good know this India thing i look it. ps. i can solo sound thing what i talk earlier post i can use more other sounds than my curren idea basic orchestra.(hollywood orcehstra gold with vsl and project sam true strike 1)

There's also "SILK" from East West, in addition to RA. It may not have as many countries as you would like to see represented.
The Ethnic Percussions from Kontakt 5 are good, particularly if you convert them to Left and Right hand patches and incorporate Kontakt for rrs, etc, to furthur them along their playabilities.
Don't know what your time frame is but also,for Percussion only is Flying Hand, which often seem to be having sales.
g.c.

You can currently join composer cloud for a month for $14.99. A month should be long enough to decide if RA or SILK suits your purposes.

You can currently join composer cloud for a month for $14.99. A month should be long enough to decide if RA or SILK suits your purposes.
I have allready Composer Cloud X but i must discontinue it i found its too pricey to me. i know is cheap says someone but (and i dislike fact Hollywood orchestra uses different mic postions of strings,brass,perc and woodwindws two use same and another two use one). and i found in five years is more what i can imagine use samples in five years. becouse i need better computer,new camera (my current one is this years 10 years old),and art supplies (graphics art) as well and clothing and maybe have medical bills.(eyeglasses and some others). i allready tested i feel ra and silk both are fine but i asked if there is something better. of course is possible use silk and get for example something for pan flute for example etc. this hard know i check silk. again i want its silk or ra have better sounds base needs. where i can add something others like pan flute if silk is better. my personal needs i mean. i feel generally is maybe bit better than silk.

I'm not sure if there is a "best" go-to library for this kind of stuff. You can go for big collections like EastWest Silk, Marcel Barsotti Ethno World, Eduardo Tarilonte ERA series, or get seperate instruments like percussion series from Evolution, various ethnic winds from Impact Soundworks, etc.

My main problem with Ra and Silk is how outdated and inconsistent the programming of the patches are. There are few proper crossfade patches in those libraries. However, they can sound pretty good for ocassional use.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend RA. It just doesn't sound good at all. The only thing I still sometime use it the Taiko Thunder (I think -- or maybe it's the Taiko Earthuake) patch. Most of the playable instruments just don't sound good. If it's an Eastwest library, I would sooner recommend getting SILK, though that's more specifically Asian.
You can also look at Ethno World 6 and World Suite. I don't have those libaries, either, so don't know how good they are. However, from what I've heard so far, I'd say Ethno World is the better sounding one.
You can also take a peek at Balkin Ethnic Orchestra, but that's again more specific.
Then there's Eduardo Tarilonte's great libraries, may want to see if you can get one or two of those.
And there's also World Percussion 2.0, but that's obviously just percussion.
That's what I can think of from the top of my head.

Oh, and the Seoul National University's Center for Arts & Technology released a bunch of free, traditional Korean instruments. https://en.catsnu.com/Project/Gugak.aspx
They're free. And you kinda get you paid for, but hey -- it's something!

Sorry to sign in so late -- but hospital has taken too much time of the time I have left.

For the past years in using Ethno World, Silk and Ra, I, for the Indian sub-continent have found the BEST (IMHO) samples and expressions in the SWAR line of samples which offers a complete course in Indian music, north and south styes along with fully articulated instruments and expressions.

https://www.swarsystems.com/support/videos/index.php?v=200

I am not affiliated with the organiztion (seemingly based in Switzerland last I checked) that has created these -- but have always had prompt and courteous service AND exceptionally few technical problems in the past 7 - 10 years.

GGC

Ethno World is one of the complete alternatives as far as I know... I have Silk, Ra and EW, and in many cases I prefer Ethno World to Ra and Silk...

Ethno World is one of the complete alternatives as far as I know... I have Silk, Ra and EW, and in many cases I prefer Ethno World to Ra and Silk...

its only one with UVI World suite. tell when you prefer more this Ethno World ? btw pan flute is nice in RA its has stacatto with round robins.

I have RA, Silk, Ethno World 6 and UVI World Suite (and other ethnic libraries, but lets not go there). :P

Ethno World 6 is probably the best all-in-one of these, unless you want to go with dedicated libraries for specific instruments.

Top Bottom