1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a case of copyright infingement of Jeremy Soule's work?

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by Thomas A Booker, Feb 26, 2018.

1. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Senior Member

I had an article in mind, which led me to raise the question in the first place. This Ryan Leach's one on how to knock-off Game of Thrones theme.

I wondered myself: "with all that temp-tracks sh*t going on and the rising demand for "how to knock-off a track", you have to be really clear about where the limit is".

But as Nietzsche said, our grandchildren will remember the pioneers, not the epigones.
  2. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Not to sidetrack, but I was the drummer for a Canadian power metal band called Destiny Calling, and we opened for Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica on their Canadian tours years ago. Amazing musicians!!! Jens Johansson is a party animal!

Regarding plagiarism, remember the time John Fogerty was sued for plagiarising himself?? This is how stupid the whole thing can be.
    ghandizilla likes this.
  3. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Senior Member

4. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

It sounds stupid at first glance, but a publisher who owned a song written by Fogerty sued Fogerty for writing the same song with different lyrics after he broke with the publisher. The publisher lost the case, but a judge claimed the publisher's claims were not frivolous.

As a fun side note, lawsuits in polka music are virtually nonexistent, but there is one rule you should always follow: Don't even think about plagiarizing someone who may be holding a bitter grudge against you:

5. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

LOL! I'm surprised Gene Simmons hasn't claimed rights to silence yet!