What's new

Is there are reason why FL Studio is the only DAW...

nuyo

Is there are reason why FL Studio is the only DAW where the lowest note is on C2 instead of C0 ?
It's not a big deal but I always have to rethink when I look at the piano roll in another DAW.

When dealing with acoustic instruments, C4 is middle C, but everyone seems to use a different numbering system for MIDI, unfortunately. If what I've heard about the history of it is correct, when people started manufacturing MIDI keyboards they called middle C C3 because the keyboards had a reduced range and so they started the octave count from a higher point. But of course we now have full range MIDI keyboards, and the MIDI spec includes notes below the standard piano keyboard anyway, so people just seem to number arbitrarily. It's annoying.

Is there are reason why FL Studio is the only DAW where the lowest note is on C2 instead of C0 ?
It's not a big deal but I always have to rethink when I look at the piano roll in another DAW.
The lowest note in MIDI spec is note '0' wherein middle C is '60'. If middle C is C3 (a la Yamaha/Steinberg/Apple/MaxMSP) then note 0 = C-2. If middle C is C4 (a la Roland/SPN/etc.) then 0 is C-1. Some older MIDI devices even have middle C as C5 so that 0 = C0, but I'm not sure that that's common anymore (or ever really was).

I've never heard of the lowest note being a C2, though.

Some software label the lowest note as C-2 (C-minus-2) and is sometimes mistaken as C2

Top Bottom