What's new

Is there any way to use a MIDI pedal to turn pages of a score?

That's what more and more orchestral players are doing with their Ipads. Not sure what kind of pedal though.

I have used them for years and they work great. Their new pedals support MIDI over Bluetooth as well which I have been experimenting with. Here is a review I did on the BT105 a few years ago.

If you have any questions please let me know. I have used them for many types of apps and they are a must for musicians using tablets.

If you want to do this on a computer, you'd probably have to use a macro program to trigger page turns in your PDF software. I know Keyboard Maestro on the Mac can respond to MIDI input. I'm sure there is something similar for Windows.

If you want to do this on a computer, you'd probably have to use a macro program to trigger page turns in your PDF software. I know Keyboard Maestro on the Mac can respond to MIDI input. I'm sure there is something similar for Windows.

The AirTurn pedals I mentioned have different modes and one of them is keyboard input so it should work right out of the box (as it does on iOS and Android devices) for turning pdfs on a laptop or desktop.

Reactions: JJP

Downloaded it. Theres no macro to go to next page. Weird

Downloaded it. Theres no macro to go to next page. Weird

You would have to use midi from the pedal as a trigger for a macro which types whatever keystroke turns pages in your pdf software (probably the page down/page up keys). You could alternatively have it trigger the menu item for next or previous page.

KM has no way of knowing what PDF software you are using and what the command would be, so there wouldn't be a pre-made macro for that.

You would have to use midi from the pedal as a trigger for a macro which types whatever keystroke turns pages in your pdf software (probably the page down/page up keys). You could alternatively have it trigger the menu item for next or previous page.

KM has no way of knowing what PDF software you are using and what the command would be, so there wouldn't be a pre-made macro for that.

Got it. Now my problem is that my free pedal is continuous/expression pedal, so it ends up turning five pages at once...

Got it. Now my problem is that my free pedal is continuous/expression pedal, so it ends up turning five pages at once...

@gsilbers and others have shared some good options. Other ideas include...

Inexpensive pedal that can be connected to a footswitch input on your MIDI keyboard

Another option for USB pedals and pedals with other inputs

Top Bottom