What's new

Is there a way to map all articulations as keyswitches in Joby Burgess?

ReelToLogic

Still have my reel-to-reel
I'm not a Kontakt expert, but Orange Tree's MIND CONTROL might allow you to do this. I recently got it and it appears to be quite flexible and powerful, but I haven't used it for anything like this. The description says;

"You can use MIND CONTROL to create a variety of different mappings and MIDI interpretations. They could be something as simple as adding keyswitches to change between instruments or articulations to a complex, dynamic mapping "

https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/mind-control

I'm sure that some of the Kontakt experts on here will have more insights.

I didn't respond because I didn't and still don't understand the question. All of the articulations beneath "Hit" in that screenshot ("Choked hit", "Brush", "Roll" etc.) already are mapped as key switches in that screenshot (D2, E2, C#3, etc).

If the OP is asking if each of those articulations can be remapped individually to a different key switch than the one that is shown, then the answer is yes, absolutely ... either by clicking and dragging up or down on the key switch value shown, or by clicking the articulation itself and then playing a key. This is all explained in the Spitfire help popup that appears the first time you open that UI.

If the OP's question is something else, then I evidently need more of an explanation (or a less aged brain) to grasp it.

OP
Virtual Virgin

Virtual Virgin

I didn't respond because I didn't and still don't understand the question. All of the articulations beneath "Hit" in that screenshot ("Choked hit", "Brush", "Roll" etc.) already are mapped as key switches in that screenshot (D2, E2, C#3, etc).

If the OP is asking if each of those articulations can be remapped individually to a different key switch than the one that is shown, then the answer is yes, absolutely ... either by clicking and dragging up or down on the key switch value shown, or by clicking the articulation itself and then playing a key. This is all explained in the Spitfire help popup that appears the first time you open that UI.

If the OP's question is something else, then I evidently need more of an explanation (or a less aged brain) to grasp it.
Those aren't the keyswitches. Those are the samples mapped directly to the notes.
What I am asking is if there is a way to change all of the articulations via keyswitch for a note.
i.e. make every variation of the high cymbal playable from the note C2.

Those aren't the keyswitches. Those are the samples mapped directly to the notes.
What I am asking is if there is a way to change all of the articulations via keyswitch for a note.
Oh, that‘s right. Never mind me, I’m having a rotten day here and my mind is obviously not in the right place. Time to log off for a while.

I'm hopefully a bit more awake and cogent today, so I'm going to try again. :)

Maybe there are existing tools for this, but I've thought of two ways to potentially do this. Neither of them are pretty, though.

The non-programmer way would be to add one copy of this patch to Kontakt for each articulation, assigned to its own MIDI channel, and then on each patch/channel, map the desired articulation to C2 while unloading the remaining articulations (to save some memory). Then you'd need to use something like Logic's articulation sets (or whatever comparable functionality there is in your DAW) to do routing to different MIDI channels for the different keyswitch values you actually want to use to select them. This would obviously be limited to 16 articulations (one for each MIDI channel).

Another, programmer-style approach for this, which would allow doing it entirely within Kontakt (regardless of DAW) and without adding all of those patches, and also not limited to 16 articulations: one could keep the patch as is (with each articulation played by a different note), then write a KSP multiscript that would keep some sort of local variable for the selected articulation, then watch for the key switch values and set that local variable accordingly. Then, each time a non keyswitch note event comes through, the script could check the current keyswitch value (the local variable) and use it to add an offset to the played note to move it to the actual note value of the desired articulation. This would obviously require some substantial coding, but I think it could work. In fact a really motivated person could probably write a generic script with a UI to allow setting such a mapping up for any patch. I'm not sure why one would want to do that, but there it is.

Top Bottom