What's new

Is there a such thing as too many synths?

The 12 and the Xpander had the same hardware architecture though, did they not?

Yes but different chips and less routings IIRC. It was a slightly punchier OBX kind of sound, but more elaborate pads on a 12.
Actually the 2 were meant to be used together as complimentary.
I only saw a couple MIDI’d up an using all separate outputs.
The sound buried a CS80 as one could have that big stacked monophonic lead and then the big polyphonic chords. CS80 was all Poly. But even so reminded me of a B3 when doing a lead. The same sound would get you more dirt but no increase in volume when adding extra notes.

I tried getting that big sound in software and you can layer synths like ZebraHZ and the recent 2.6 Omnisphere and get pretty close.
Its the motion of drifting tunings and frying bacon filters that you can get by layering that seems to work for me.

My vintage geek buddies always tell me it doesn’t sound quite as good as the Oberheims, but I say it doesn’t sound 13,000 dollars better.

Envelopes on BehrCat are just fine. What could have been better is the scaling of the sliders, which should have had more range for fast envelope times.

Scaling and a lack of attack in the sound. It could be fixed probably.

I love the MultiWave Oscillators. But they don’t snap at all in the videos I saw.

But friends who bought it use it for 808 style bass or leads so snappy isn’t a priority.

I need that snap and punch so hats off if they address that.

Im so spoiled from the VSlope EGs I’ve turned into a whiny bitch..

YES.

Unless you’re only ever going to use presets.
Even then. Most synths come with a ridiculous number of presets. And what's annoying in some cases is how many "different" presets sound almost exactly the same. Yet the allure of finding a great sound is powerful - I shudder to think how many hours I've pissed away scrolling through them but have vowed I will never buy one with more than about 100 or so any more.

You know what guitarists say about how many guitars they need: just one more.

I think it's the same for synth nerds.

Interesting pitch control! I wish they'd make them more like that now (at least try something diff then the freakin wheels and super-tiny joysticks).
Well, this same system was also on the OB-Xa (which I have access to) and the modwheel works in reverse, so it takes a while to get used to it

Interesting. I just never liked any controller I've come across. I want something like they have on guitars ;) (kidding but only partly)

I have what I consider to be too many synths and want to downsize. I own Arturia V7 + OB, IK Synthronik Deluxe, Air Music Tech, Komplete 12, Reason Rack Extensions, and UVI Vintage Vault. I am also looking to purchase Korg Collection V2. I think I may have a synth addiction. Does anyone else find themselves purchasing more synths than they actually need?
If you use them then it’s all good.

I just never liked any controller I've come across. I want something like they have on guitars

The https://www.kenrichsounds.com/collections/clavinet-parts/products/clavinet-whammy-bar-system (Clavinet Whammy Bar System) is a guitar-like controller. George Duke demonstrates it in this video:

Unfortunately, the Clavinet doesn't have any MIDI output, so it would be no use as a controller for software plugins. I'd love to see a MIDI master controller with a whammy bar.

Last edited:
Good morning

Being able to layer instruments, route audio and use effects chains has somewhat mooted the acquisition bent for this musician.

I either use:

1: The Bitwig ecosystem
2: Deducktion/Helm with a bunch of plugins
3: The Applied Acoustics modeling collection, because they truly are unique/distinctive.

-N

Top Bottom