What's new

Is there a such thing as too many synths?

I have what I consider to be too many synths and want to downsize. I own Arturia V7 + OB, IK Synthronik Deluxe, Air Music Tech, Komplete 12, Reason Rack Extensions, and UVI Vintage Vault. I am also looking to purchase Korg Collection V2. I think I may have a synth addiction. Does anyone else find themselves purchasing more synths than they actually need?

i think i have all VI synths ever released and just bought largo.

i decided to stay with what i know and like.

For analog style synth i ust grab Repro from U-he and for modern sounds i use Sylenth and nexus and avenger.

the good thing about U-he synths is that it has a Midi cc map that you set up once and it works the same on every project, past or future.
I was able to map my virus ti knobs to U-he synths so it affects the same paramters (filters, envelopers etc). that way U-he synths feel more real and expressive.

and sylenth is pretty easy to learn and has a nice modern sounds. im not using the virus ti anymore since it cannot bounce offline and i also got synapse dune3 which is pretty much the knock off version now.

anyways, i didnt like arturia stuff, IK stuff, AIR music tech stuff and native instruments synths. they have reaktor6 which has some nice synths like the moog clone.

after a while i have to do similar stuff so i go for the same old stuff over and over again.

for film stuff omnisphere2 which some custom presets for pulses and pads. have more of an organic sound.
arturia pigments 2 is actually pretty good and started using it more.
but a lot of the presets or very random so having i have to tweak stuff.

for modern styles like hiphop and dance i got for nexus, vengeance and sylenth.
and usually stay around these but with reason and so many coming out on sale, i still buy them just in case i need some.

but i sold my analog synths.. it just didnt find they sounded noticbly different and took too much time to hoock setup and then id redoing stuff in a different day it didnt work.

AA51F60F-552C-4F25-8991-0839D2807790.jpeg Man, I don’t know. I’ve come full circle since the early 2000’s: sold all my hardware back then ‘cause I felt like software was finally good enough. Then a few years ago I found a mint DX7 for $100 in Japan and snagged it purely for nostalgia. Then I rediscovered the joy of playing with real hardware again... especially analog synths.

Now my room is full of hardware again, and I feel like I have every conceivable flavor covered with “just” 15 hardware synths and a handful of favorite software pieces (Dune, Nexus, Spire, Aparillo, etc.). And as much as I love many of our software options, I actually find myself gravitating to the hardware more simply for the creativity and inspiration of interacting with something real.

And honestly, I think I’m finally at a point where I listen to every new synth that comes out, and I can say “I’ve already got that flavor covered.”

All that to say, I think my wife is finally happy too, because I can’t find any real reason to buy anything else at the moment ;)

Very, very, very suspicious lack of Eurocrack in there! ;)
Man, for one, I'm just plain out of room. And two, I haven't heard anything in that realm that isn't just some form of analog synth, which I've already got covered a few times over - the pic I posted only shows one side of the room. ;)

You need to go deeper. There's plenty of stuff in Eurorack that is not analog. Wavetables, harmonic oscillators, multi-synthesis digital oscillators (see Mutable Instruments)... ;)

AA51F60F-552C-4F25-8991-0839D2807790.jpeg Man, I don’t know. I’ve come full circle since the early 2000’s: sold all my hardware back then ‘cause I felt like software was finally good enough. Then a few years ago I found a mint DX7 for $100 in Japan and snagged it purely for nostalgia. Then I rediscovered the joy of playing with real hardware again... especially analog synths.

Now my room is full of hardware again, and I feel like I have every conceivable flavor covered with “just” 15 hardware synths and a handful of favorite software pieces (Dune, Nexus, Spire, Aparillo, etc.). And as much as I love many of our software options, I actually find myself gravitating to the hardware more simply for the creativity and inspiration of interacting with something real.

And honestly, I think I’m finally at a point where I listen to every new synth that comes out, and I can say “I’ve already got that flavor covered.”

All that to say, I think my wife is finally happy too, because I can’t find any real reason to buy anything else at the moment ;)

Similar path here, but not to the same quantity. Space does limit. Passed on the DX7 - bought a DX7 ii with grey matter E!, and found the Arturia version actually sounded just as good if not better, so I bailed on the poor DX. Sometimes software wins out, lol.

What ultimately tempered my unbridled synth-buying urges was to simply ask, when evaluating a new soft-synth, "Can I do this in Omnisphere?" Aside from a few notable exceptions, the answer is usually "yes". This alone has saved me thousands of dollars over the years and continually increases my appreciation of Omnisphere.

But occasionally, the lust for some new knobs to twist overtakes reason and I buy the synth anyway. It's all part of this crazy game of music-making we play...

You need to go deeper. There's plenty of stuff in Eurorack that is not analog. Wavetables, harmonic oscillators, multi-synthesis digital oscillators (see Mutable Instruments)... ;)
True. But I just never saw that point in getting Eurorack modules that can be easily duplicated in the digital realm. The true charm in Eurorack is in the analog part of hardware.

Well, to an extent. You can still do all those crazy feedback wirings that just don't sound the same in VCV Rack or whatever. So, digital stuff with analog control? Sign me in! Also there's lots of very imaginative stuff there. Morphing Terrarium, way more west coast stuff, curious sequencers (Make Noise Rene, say)... there's lots to like that just isn't found in software.

You’re evil

Well yes. Gotta live up to the name! :grin:

Top Bottom