What's new

Is there a keyswitch mapping standard/convention?

youngpokie

Then I realized it made sense to arrange my expression maps for that library based on how the articulations are presented in that library's user interface. When working with that library the arrangement of articulations is consistent between exp map and user interface.
Very close to my own experience. It depends on the library, but in my case I realized there is an underlying pattern: for example patches differentiated by length, and simultaneously by attack type. For example: sustain soft and sustain accent; marcato long and marcato short. Or several types of legatos, differentiated by slurring or re-tonguiging, and so on.

So now, for example, I sort the length in Art I and attack type in Art II, all as attributes. This way I assign note-level articulations using the drop down menu - by first selecting length, then the attack type.

This realization that Art I and Art II are actually presented as a drop down and can be chosen sequentially was an eye opener...

Last edited:
OP
H

homie

So now, for example, I sort the length in Art I and attack type in Art II, all as attributes. This way I assign note-level articulations using the drop down menu - by first selecting length, then the attack type.

This realization that Art I and Art II are actually presented as a drop down and can be chosen sequentially was an eye opener...
I've thought about that too. How about having Art 1 as (general) direction and Art 2 as (specific) attribute? Would that make sense?

Here is a separate thread dedicated to that idea:

youngpokie

How about having Art 1 as (general) direction and Art 2 as (specific) attribute? Would that make sense?
You should experiment with different settings - everything comes down to your workflow and your libraries (within the logic of expression maps)...

"Direction" will not show up in the drop down menu but "Attribute" will. You could set everything to Attribute but at least in my case this was not ideal. Cubase has a built-in recommendation on how to populate these Art columns, it's also very useful to take a look at them to understand the logic...

So, in my case, Directions are mostly in Art I but I also have some in Art II. I try to keep Directions only for those articulations that do not change frequently: arco or normal playing, pizzicato, sul tasto, etc

A.G

What about libraries with no single articulation patches?
Right, some libraries do not offer single patches. There is alternative way where you load say in Kontakt the factory strings Ch.1 and manually switch to Sustain via the UI or the red KS, after that you load the same multi patch (Strings) into Ch.2 and enable the 2nd articulation and so on. Kontakt will load the RAM resources only in the 1st instance (Ch.1), after that the other instances will not load any additional RAM and will work as aliases.

OP
H

homie

Cubase has a built-in recommendation on how to populate these Art columns, it's also very useful to take a look at them to understand the logic...
Where can i find those recommendations?

Top Bottom