What's new

Is (the process of) music production...boring?

I feel your pain but on another side of using technology in music, engraving the sheet music for the conductor and live musicians. Since April I have engraved 120+ pages of score. Let’s just say when I’m working on the sheet music if I don’t have either a podcast playing, something cool on YouTube on, or my 7 year old princess entertaining me with her art projects I would just go ahead and end it saying nothing is worth this painstakingly task of torture. This is just 1 example of a page I completed yesterday, and this would be considered an easier page:
6C398F2B-FA78-4608-98E8-02A5C6419C06.jpeg

Last edited:
If you work isolated in your home studio, using the same old changes, alone, programming drums, mixing, update software, read and re-read all the rejections, checking your statements full of 0,0x'es, turn on the news ect, ect .. yezzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back in the day, musical tech was a much trickier (and expensive) proposition. For the average composer, ideas were capped by the severely limited technology. You had to *work* to get the sound you wanted. Creative decisions had to be locked in early. Every completed mixdown came with a war story of bending the available technology to one's will. I remember a recording session where getting the finished song on DAT involved the entire band "playing" the mixing desk on playback, jointly muting tracks and adjusting levels on the fly for the final master.
I started doing sound design on reel to reel tape. Warm textures but don't piss me off and say you don't like it. A lot for reels on the floor lol

But yet... I can't shake the feeling that the "fun" and challenge has been stripped out of the music making process.

Anyone else feel the same way? Maybe I should start sampling my walking stick and try to create an entire track from it.
A
As you've responded, you know what you need to deliver to your client. I say just branch out for a newer artist IN addition to your usual stuff. OR Transcribe some 70s R&B then put your tracks on it. lol

It struck me the other day - a typical Wednesday morning, as I sat down to write.

I loaded the usual template and opened an instance of Komplete Kontrol. A quick browse of the (1000's) of available patches yielded the perfect starting sound in seconds. Nice. New track, same again. 10 minutes later and the track had already taken shape. One hour later, it was in the can.
Oh dude I heard an interview with Zaytoven where he says he makes 10 beats a day. He had to quit his day job as a barber because he walk into the shop and people would shove demos in his face lol. he didn't even want to admit he was 'making' it with 10k and 20k placements at that time.

Doing anything over and over again without setting yourself secret challenges or working deliberately to expand your capabilities is boring.

Oh dude I heard an interview with Zaytoven where he says he makes 10 beats a day. He had to quit his day job as a barber because he walk into the shop and people would shove demos in his face lol. he didn't even want to admit he was 'making' it with 10k and 20k placements at that time.
Oh yeah, some of those guys are like machines. 10 a day is way beyond me. 3 at max before I've burnt out of inspiration and need to get away from the screen.

IMO, the absolute hardest thing in music production is completing a track, closing the file and going straight into a new one without a break.

Oh yeah, some of those guys are like machines. 10 a day is way beyond me. 3 at max before I've burnt out of inspiration and need to get away from the screen.

IMO, the absolute hardest thing in music production is completing a track, closing the file and going straight into a new one without a break.
interesting. I got some more PM's for you

Top Bottom