What's new

Is the new JXL brass library the Zimmer sound we've been waiting for?

The library was only just getting under way by the time I stopped working for Tom, and obviously even if I knew more, I couldn't and wouldn't say much of anything. However, I'll say this:

Don't just think it'll be some big loud thing. The man has far more range than that, and he doesn't get enough credit for it, even among composers. He is a very talented orchestral composer and knows the orchestra well, and he happens to have a special affinity for brass (let me tell you, he's very picky about brass writing and brass voicing). If he wanted to cash in on the JUNKIE XL HUGE GIANT AGGRESSIVE SAMPLES GO BOOM thing, he'd have just released his Mad Max drums and watched the money flow in. But he's much more than that sound, and I'm certain that this library will be a great example of that.

I'm very curious about this just because Tom said he wants to make a really playable library and that's why he teamed up with Orchestral Tools.

So it's quite the opposite of what I'd expect from a "HZ brass" library. I mean, even in the most brass intensive Inception moments, it's not about "playability" but rather the "sound". I already have CB Pro's 12 horns and monster low brass ensembles (and I'll most probably never use them because of how huge they sound :laugh:).

So hearing Tom talking about playability + OT sampling it makes me really excited. I know Tom will make sure the library sounds stellar when it comes to the actual sound, but having a great sounding library that can handle Horner's Khan brass would be a dream coming true scenario. :) (Will there be something like the Spitfire's time machine in the new OT sample engine?)

My only problem is, it would probably be a very expensive library so I won't be able to purchase it, but the new OT's a la carte business model gives me hope I'll be able to buy at least like horns and trumpets. Yay! :2thumbs: I'm so happy OT are introducing this option. Hope more companies will do that.

I have always found Zimmers brass to feel darker and more moody compared to JXL's more high end, high enery sounding brass. Its a different aesthetic to me. And yes I would buy both xD

-DJ
Hope he gives u both heavily treated patches and more natural sounding patches.

So when can we roughly expect it to be released? I'm holding off on CSB to see Audiobro's one and this one.

so if someone wants to do epic style brass, you think it's better to wait for the JXL Brass or just go with ARK 1? And I'd imagine they wont overlap otherwise it would be redundant? For instance if you get JXL Brass, there should still be reason to want to get the brass in ARK 1 as well. Please share your thoughts and comments.

so if someone wants to do epic style brass, you think it's better to wait for the JXL Brass or just go with ARK 1? And I'd imagine they wont overlap otherwise it would be redundant? For instance if you get JXL Brass, there should still be reason to want to get the brass in ARK 1 as well. Please share your thoughts and comments.
The JXL library would probably have more features and articulations than Ark 1. I own Ark 1 myself and I think it's excellent for that epic style. But I think JXL will be more all-round. If I had a choice between JXL and Ark 1, I would wait out for Tom's library.

@reids there's a lot of good epic brass out there

Cinematic Studio Brass has become my go-to orchestral brass, great dynamic range, consistent programming & musicality in every sample. You can build ensembles of 5 horns, 4 trombones or 3 trumpets which might not seem like a lot but the true fortissimo samples have so much attitude they can carry a trailer track.

Trailer Brass is my go-to for hybrid & production music writing. But only for the truly earth-shaking brass statements. Ensemble recordings of 10 horns, 10 trombones and sound-designed low brass, all of them going from a solid forte or mezzo-forte to a speaker-breaking fff.

Ark1 has really impressed me, I've been collaborating on a trailer track with another composer who owns that library and the recordings of the cimbassi, nine-horn ensemble and the trumpets are quite good.

Angry Brass is a free library by Jasper Blunk that could easily sell for $50 or $100, get it immediately it's quite good at the one thing it does.

Jasper's other library Caspian also has some really nice marcato brass recordings, especially the ensemble of bass trombones.

I still use the bells up 4horn patches from Berlin Brass, the six horn patch from Hollywood Brass, and the low brass ensemble from Spitfire Iceni but these might not be worth the price for you (especially Berlin Brass!) if you're just looking for epic high-energy brass.

There are still other libraries out there, like Cinebrass's 12 Horn and Monster Low Brass recordings, 8dio's Century Brass which has 12 horns and 6 trumpets if I recall, and of course Spitfire Symphonic Brass.

In the end, getting a bunch of brass players together and blasting out some sustains is not the hard part. Although, TH did say in his interview that he was dissatisfied with brass not going quiet enough (very fair) and loud enough (questionable, both Trailer Brass and CS Brass seem to be hitting the physically maximum-possible dynamic). I don't know if this is all OT Hype (remember Berlin Brass being "NEXT GEN"?) but according to the video there are 5 recorded dynamics for at least some instruments. That would be more than typical.

For what it's worth the upcoming Modern Scoring Brass from AudioBro also advertises itself as having a dynamic range of "from ppp through fff."

Best to wait and see.

Last edited:

Cinematic Studio Brass has become my go-to orchestral brass, great dynamic range, consistent programming & musicality in every sample. You can build ensembles of 5 horns, 4 trombones or 3 trumpets which might not seem like a lot but the true fortissimo samples have so much attitude they can carry a trailer track.

Trailer Brass is my go-to for hybrid & production music writing. But only for the truly earth-shaking brass statements. Ensemble recordings of 10 horns, 10 trombones and sound-designed low brass, all of them going from a solid forte or mezzo-forte to a speaker-breaking fff.

Ark1 has really impressed me, I've been collaborating on a trailer track with another composer who owns that library and the recordings of the cimbassi, nine-horn ensemble and the trumpets are quite good.

Angry Brass is a free library by Jasper Blunk that could easily sell for $50 or $100, get it immediately it's quite good at the one thing it does.

Jasper's other library Caspian also has some really nice marcato brass recordings, especially the ensemble of bass trombones.

I still use the bells up 4horn patches from Berlin Brass, the six horn patch from Hollywood Brass, and the low brass ensemble from Spitfire Iceni but these might not be worth the price for you (especially Berlin Brass!) if you're just looking for epic high-energy brass.

There are still other libraries out there, like Cinebrass's 12 Horn and Monster Low Brass recordings, 8dio's Century Brass which has 12 horns and 6 trumpets if I recall, and of course Spitfire Symphonic Brass.

In the end, getting a bunch of brass players together and blasting out some sustains is not the hard part. Although, TH did say in his interview that he was dissatisfied with brass not going quiet enough (very fair) and loud enough (questionable, both Trailer Brass and CS Brass seem to be hitting the physically maximum-possible dynamic). I don't know if this is all OT Hype (remember Berlin Brass being "NEXT GEN"?) but according to the video there are 5 recorded dynamics for at least some instruments. That would be more than typical.

For what it's worth the upcoming Modern Scoring Brass from AudioBro also advertises itself as having a dynamic range of "from ppp through fff."

Best to wait and see.

Thanks for the suggestions here Noam. Yes, it's best to wait to listen and compare (even though maybe it's 6+ months away). Just wanted to hear your thoughts as well since as you mentioned TH did say it would be covering the low and very high dynamic range better than anything currently out there. Obviously, OT would not want to make another brass library if it would somehow replace their other exisitng brass libraries, but as either an alternative or add-on.

I'm happy that I'm not the only one that thinks this.
...and I don't even own it. But it sure is a nice validation considering my mouse has been hovering over the "Add to Cart" button since its release.

The library was only just getting under way by the time I stopped working for Tom, and obviously even if I knew more, I couldn't and wouldn't say much of anything. However, I'll say this:

Don't just think it'll be some big loud thing. The man has far more range than that, and he doesn't get enough credit for it, even among composers. He is a very talented orchestral composer and knows the orchestra well, and he happens to have a special affinity for brass (let me tell you, he's very picky about brass writing and brass voicing). If he wanted to cash in on the JUNKIE XL HUGE GIANT AGGRESSIVE SAMPLES GO BOOM thing, he'd have just released his Mad Max drums and watched the money flow in. But he's much more than that sound, and I'm certain that this library will be a great example of that.

I'm excited to hear this library. I also just went and saw Alita: Battle Angel and not only did I love the film, I love Tom's score. His best yet (in my opinion).

It's a fun one for sure. Her theme is one of my favorite melodies he's ever come up with! It's soooo Morricone-ish, love it.

Yeah definitely. Such a melodic score! Was refreshing. Also, the Motorball scene. I was smiling when paying attention to the mix with so much stuff going on and the music is cleverly written around the mayhem!

Top Bottom