Is the Macro section of Cubase 9.5.41 buggy?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by jononotbono, Nov 8, 2018.

1. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I've been trying to create a rather long macro and I've run into what I think is buggy behaviour. When I choose "Add Command", the command doesn't go where expected and it just seems to have a mind of it's own. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of behaviour and if so, could you shed some light into what is causing it? Hoping it's just me being stupid and overlooking something
    Thanks
    Jono

2. Eliot

Eliot Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I get exactly the same thing - especially when trying to enter the same command more than once. Definitely buggy. Usually I find its enough to delete the misplaced commands, exit the editor completely, re-open it and then continue from where I left off. Pain in the butt but you get there in the end - can take several tries to get to the end of a macro :)

3. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Took me 4 hours today to create one... all be it, rather massive one! haha!
    Ok, well, I just keep trying then! Thanks

Eliot likes this.
  4. meradium

meradium Senior Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Yes, absolutely. The macro thing has a mind of its own.

The only solution I found so far is to actually go into the macro settings file with a text editor and manually write the stuff in. That was the only way how I could be 100% sure it would work as expected. I was also facing some other issues which I explained in another post here.

This command automation is such a powerful asset. I am really really surprised why Steinberg is paying relatively little attention to this.

5. Bender-offender

Bender-offender I said pea berry, not sandalwood!

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for pointing this out, Jono. I always assumed I was doing something wrong when creating macros. I saw your post on steinberg’s forum, so hopefully they’ll take notice to it.

6. benmrx

benmrx Senior Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Seattle
    Yep. The macro system can be a bit buggy. I wish I had some great workaround....., but I don’t.

I’m liking Meradium’s suggestion though to do it manually.

7. greggybud

greggybud Senior Member

Oct 12, 2016
    It is a bug. Just checked with my fellow Cubase beta testers, and Phil has even written a solution that will cost you a little bit but might be worth it.

https://www.pendlebury.biz/product/cubendo-macro-reorganiser/

Hope that helps...and to prevent further comments, yes Phil certainly should not have to be doing this to make it work as intended.

8. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Excellent. I’ll definitely buy this and funnily enough I’ve just met Phil on Facebook.

9. Eliot

Eliot Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Do you know if Phil's macro allows you to copy and paste an entire macro, not just single commands? Sometimes I need to copy a macro, change a command or two, and rename it, rather than rewrite the entire thing. Would save a lot of time.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 10:39 AM
  10. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Being able to copy full Macros is something I have wanted for a long time. Even just being able to resize the Macro window would be a dream at this point!

Eliot likes this.
  11. AlexRuger

AlexRuger Senior Member

*albeit.

Sorry.

jononotbono likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Come on now. You should understand that Auto spell check knows best.

13. greggybud

greggybud Senior Member

Oct 12, 2016
    I don't know since my macros are not complex or many. But you can always contact him for a reply.

Eliot likes this.