What's new

Is the i7-9800X a bad CPU to start a build off of?

Like I said. Bleeding edge is totally fine if you've still got enough hair to pull out.

As said updating a bios is far from taxing.... Bios updates are good practice anyway especially for the intel security issues

Updating a Bios is good practice.

It's stupid things like that costing AMD its lead and will happen again. And putting out systems only usable after updating and updating and updating truely is proof for the quality and the maturity of the design.

This is nonsense....Google, Sony, Twitter all have moved to using AMD chips...

Check out all the "Flagship Systems" of prominent System Builders. How would you explain them having an Intel Badge? Are all these companies misinformed like me?

Edit: you know you've almost made me feel bad for I'm defenately running old crap! Haswell-E and Broadwell-E .. so legacy. But then I've decided to have a look at https://xi-machines.com/en/systems-audio-x3.php and it brought back the smile in my face.

Are you serious? This clearly highlights you have limited knowledge on the subject.

Last edited:
It sure isn't a bang for the buck!
No, it's not! A decent 3900X rig will cost you around €2K (with VAT!!!), and you'll also get more and faster SSD storage, more RAM and a much better GPU. That's €9100 cheaper. It's the equivalent of the VAT you would pay for that absurdly overpriced rig.

That is crazy. It's a price of a decent used car.

It rarely does.
Of all the computers I've built since I was a little kid, I never built anything that didn't work if the components were fine. One rule that is absolutely true is that you get what you pay for, but on a component level (and do your homework). Paying a "pro builder" to overcharge me for putting together a PC with outdated, overpriced components makes zero sense to me. Or maybe I'm just in the wrong business.

Once you learn how to diagnose your PC by the process of elimination (it's fairly simple), replacement is a non-issue. If it's under warranty, take it out and get a new one. Otherwise buy a new one.

It's not worth a 50% markup. That's ridiculous. Plus whoever is selling these PCs for "audio pros" clearly has a target customer in mind, because that's as far from bang for buck as it goes.

I was putting together computers for people when I was 10 years old (OS installation and everything). It's Legos with electronics. And that was before YouTube.

if you're just lucking at a price tag and throwing a bunch of hardware in the basket, expecting it to work out perfectly.
Anybody who loves computers and posts on forums about computers will be more than happy to spend around 5 minutes of their time to put together a build for you within a budget you set. But even if you're shy and/or don't want others to help you, that's exactly how it works. Of course you'll read reviews before you buy. Of course, you'll also check compatibility before you buy. Pick a CPU, check socket, pick a motherboard, pick RAM, pick a GPU, pick your storage, pick a PSU.

I mean fuck, if you don't have an afternoon to do a little homework and figure out what to buy and an afternoon to you is worth more than €4k, then by all means.

Unless you're gonna have to have that super-professional PC shipped, at which point the whole story makes no sense since you can just waltz into your local hardware store and get all the parts immediately, and for less than half the price, then just go to a nearby college, find guys studying CS and offer to buy them lunch and $100 and they'll put it together for you right then and there.

No, it's not! A decent 3900X rig will cost you around €2K (with VAT!!!), and you'll also get more and faster SSD storage, more RAM and a much better GPU. That's €9100 cheaper. It's the equivalent of the VAT you would pay for that absurdly overpriced rig.

That is crazy. It's a price of a decent used car.

Of all the computers I've built since I was a little kid, I never built anything that didn't work if the components were fine. One rule that is absolutely true is that you get what you pay for, but on a component level (and do your homework). Paying a "pro builder" to overcharge me for putting together a PC with outdated, overpriced components makes zero sense to me. Or maybe I'm just in the wrong business.

Once you learn how to diagnose your PC by the process of elimination (it's fairly simple), replacement is a non-issue. If it's under warranty, take it out and get a new one. Otherwise buy a new one.

It's not worth a 50% markup. That's ridiculous. Plus whoever is selling these PCs for "audio pros" clearly has a target customer in mind, because that's as far from bang for buck as it goes.

I was putting together computers for people when I was 10 years old (OS installation and everything). It's Legos with electronics. And that was before YouTube.

Anybody who loves computers and posts on forums about computers will be more than happy to spend around 5 minutes of their time to put together a build for you within a budget you set. But even if you're shy and/or don't want others to help you, that's exactly how it works. Of course you'll read reviews before you buy. Of course, you'll also check compatibility before you buy. Pick a CPU, check socket, pick a motherboard, pick RAM, pick a GPU, pick your storage, pick a PSU.

I mean fuck, if you don't have an afternoon to do a little homework and figure out what to buy and an afternoon to you is worth more than €4k, then by all means.

Unless you're gonna have to have that super-professional PC shipped, at which point the whole story makes no sense since you can just waltz into your local hardware store and get all the parts immediately, and for less than half the price, then just go to a nearby college, find guys studying CS and offer to buy them lunch and $100 and they'll put it together for you right then and there.

Its a joke PC and a Joke price

I am starting a new build and could use some critique. I'm moving up from an i5-3570K on an ASRock H77M with 16GB of DDR3. My parts list so far is:

Mobo: ASRock X299 STEEL LEGEND
CPU: i7-9800X
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A
RAM: 64 GB DDR4 (add more as I go)
Storage: A mix of Samsung EVO SSDs for libraries and a couple HDDs for project files (owned)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC HYBRID
PSU: Seasonic Flagship PRIME 600 Titanium Fanless
Soundcard: RME HDSPe Raydat (owned)

Software: Cubase 8.5 Pro, VE Pro, mostly East West libraries, and Izotope Iris (all owned). Plan to pick up some stuff from ProjectSAM after my wallet recovers from the build.

My Budget is $2K. I have a friend who can get discounts on Intel products, so I am able to get the i7-9800X for $296. Another possibility would be the i9-9980-XE for $990, but that stretches my budget too far for one component, even though that seems like a great deal.

My question is this: If my goal is mainly to use behemoth project templates with as many samples loaded into RAM as possible (within my budget), is the i7-9800X a good option? Should I be considering a different chipset altogether? As a side note, does anyone have experience with fanless PSUs? I'm considering the PRIME 600 strictly because of acoustics, but I don't want anything to melt under load. Any help is appreciated.

As you can tell there’s a CPU war going on.
Ive got a Ryzen 3700X, an 8086k, and a few i7’s.
Pretty much all the same except Intel is better for low latency live performance.

Personally I’d wait for new CPUs and a couple reviews from ScanAudio.
If you must build now, a 6 core Intel or 8 core AMD will get you there.

Seems AMDs recent 3300X is less chiplets, lower latency and unified cache due to being a Quad Core. Next AMDs will be unified cache on all cores. Also can use X470 still. 3300X is a damn good chip. As is i5 10600k coming soon.

Intel keeps changing things and new motherboards every time.
Mother board manufacturers love them for that.

Ryzens and Latest Intels are all hot chips. Means they’re in a real race in 2020.
We’ll get some nice choices this time around. We win when there’s real competition.

Last edited:
Except if you are using UAD pcie cards, in which case they may not be detected if you are running a ryzen chip. So it's not like Intel is all bad and AMD is all dandy.

A few of the top vendors have recognised this and released updated Bios to fix the issue...

Seems new AMDs 2nd half this year won’t be compatible with 470.
Glad they said something now.
I bought an ASRock Rack X470 so I could pop in a newer chip down the road.

Theyre catching onto the Intel tricks already..

It sure isn't a bang for the buck! But then again people are spending thousands more on a new Mac Pro that doesn't deliver that much more performance. At some point things start getting ridiculous anyways.

They are used to throwing money away with Apples, why expect different behavior with PCs...
(...)
Fun fact however: I don't seem to find any AMD builds from Puget Systems either, huuummm. What could that possibly mean?

I guess because it is less compatible and AMD systems needs more support than equivalent Intel systems...
Yesterday I updated the motherboard BIOS which included new AGESA, know what happened?
In the first BOOT Windows thought it was another machine and reactivated itself...
No problem, but imagine if for some reason it does not reactivate?
Now the worst part, I had to reinstall the GPU drivers...
Also reinstalled the chipset drivers too, just to be safe...
Anyway, the GPU problem was not evident at first, but when trying
to see a video or use any stuff that required "GPU power", the GPU/system crashed...
Any of this is not a problem for "power users", but for a common user this will
mean another call to Puget support...
But I also guess common users does not update the motherboard BIOS... 😆

Seems new AMDs 2nd half this year won’t be compatible with 470.
Glad they said something now.
I bought an ASRock Rack X470 so I could pop in a newer chip down the road.

Theyre catching onto the Intel tricks already..

From
"Q: What about (X pre-500 Series chipset)?
A: AMD has no plans to introduce “Zen 3” architecture support for older chipsets.
While we wish could enable full support for every processor on every chipset, the flash
memory chips that store BIOS settings and support have capacity limitations.
Given these limitations, and the unprecedented longevity of the AM4 socket, there will
inevitably be a time and place where a transition to free up space is necessary— the
AMD 500 Series chipsets are that time."

It is because most of old motherboards have 16MB BIOS chip, the 570 motherboards all
have at least 32MB, but MSI launched some older chipset motherboards with 32MB BIOS chips.
They even have some "castrated BIOS" for the 16MB models
Maybe MSI they will do the same again...

That would be nice. But I’m such an ASRock Rack junkie I would likely just buy the new X570 mATX Rack version in late 2020.
I still have a few 2013/2014 H/Z97s from them being beaten up everyday that run great. Don’t mind paying a few hundred for a newer model even if it’s proprietary.
Pretty sure everyone else will follow MSI eventually.

ASRock Rack just announced their Z490 for 10 core Comet Lake.
Not meant to OC much but these CPUs can be up to 235 watts.
They know it’s for RackMount chassis, must have some serious VRMs and cooling.

cheerz

Just side-stepping the CPU discussion for a moment, is the OP going to be gaming on this PC? That 2070 Super GPU is a gaming card, nothing else. You could save a nice bit of money that could get you extra RAM or another SSD if you downgrade it to something that will just run your screens at the resolution you need. Dunno why but I always seem to see mid-range+ gaming cards in DAW builds and I can never understand the waste!

Top Bottom