What's new

Is The EastWest Symphonic Orchestra a good first Orchestral Library?

Two other libraries that are worth looking at:

Steinberg Iconica. I have it and I really like it. Plus if you have an e-licencer you can get a free 30 day trial. Its 150gb and I got it for sale for £ 400.00 (I'm VAT registered).

Also VSL Synchronised Special editions. I got volumes 1-4 for £ 580 when on sale from Time Space (they also sent me a voucher). I really rate this too as a start, I heard some wonderful demos and I'm getting to grips with the player. Also, lots of room to grow your orchestra. For example I can currently upgrade to synchronised Woodwinds for £ 130.00 as part of a current offer. If you buy from VSL (and get it during a sale) you get a 30 day return window, and you can also re-sell it later. (Just be aware of the dongle issues - which are not a problem for me).

However, BBCSO looks like it could be your best bet, but it's worth hanging on until its released into the wild.

It's telling that I'm not seeing anyone recommending the Spitfire Studio Series Core.

Since you have a resource problem, I would recommend VSL. Their stuff is very resource friendly. To be honest though, you should just save your money and get a better computer. That will be your best bet.

@JRod.Simons

Another laptop-friendly orchestral library (that is rarely mentioned in this forum) is UVI's Orchestral Suite. It has a modern easy-to-use interface, it's less than 5GB and it contains all the orchestral essentials (strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion), including all instruments in solo versions (but don't expect true legato of course), plus many extras, like pipe organ, choirs, classical guitar, harp and harpsichord!

There are many demos, you can judge for yourself. Maybe this suites you perfectly until you get that desktop PC that will allow you to run newer and bigger libraries, like i.e. EWHO, Steinberg Iconica, OT Metropolis Ark(s) or Spitfire's BBC Orchestra (among others).

Wow! That trailer by Guillaume Roussel is amazing. How did I not know about this library? Would have saved a lot of headaches early on (on my 16gb of RAM a few years ago). Wait, as I type this I realise it also has a choir...? If OP had a better computer, I'd also throw HO into the mix, since I'm sure that Gold on one of the 50% sales can be pretty damn cheap.

Wow! That trailer by Guillaume Roussel is amazing. How did I not know about this library? Would have saved a lot of headaches early on (on my 16gb of RAM a few years ago). Wait, as I type this I realise it also has a choir...? If OP had a better computer, I'd also throw HO into the mix, since I'm sure that Gold on one of the 50% sales can be pretty damn cheap.
I think that you have never heard about UVI Orchestral Suite mainly for 2 reasons:
1) It runs on it's own Player, made by UVI. So it's not a Kontakt or a Play library.
2) The reviews about it are OK, but not so favorable, so the general conclusion is that in the end you get what you pay for.

Still, if I had an older laptop with 8GB RAM, I would choose UVI's library over GPO 5, Amadeus, or Miroslav 2 CE. For me it sounds a little better. And yes the demos sound very impressive (too much reverb though) and the included choir sounds also nice!

But of course for the few extra bucks I would choose EWQLSO Gold over anything else over and over again! :)

Last edited:
I think that you have never heard about UVI Orchestral Suite mainly for 2 reasons:
1) It runs on it's own Player, made by UVI. So it's not a Kontakt or a Play library.
2) The reviews about it are OK, but not so favorable, so the general conclusion is that in the end you get what you pay for.

Still, if I had an older laptop with 8GB RAM, I would choose UVI's library over GPO 5, Amadeus, or Miroslav 2 CE. For me it sounds a little better. And yes the demos sound very impressive (too much reverb though) and the included choir sounds also nice!

But of course for the few extra bucks I would choose EWQLSO Gold over anything else over and over again! :)

I never had any music growing up (no lessons etc) so I feel like I missed out big style, and now I'm trying to catch up in my mid-30s. This kind of stuff makes me happy for the coming generation, who are living in a comparative golden age. Libraries of a good enough quality are becoming more affordable. This means many more kids will be able to learn in a whole different way.

I never had any music growing up (no lessons etc) so I feel like I missed out big style, and now I'm trying to catch up in my mid-30s. This kind of stuff makes me happy for the coming generation, who are living in a comparative golden age. Libraries of a good enough quality are becoming more affordable. This means many more kids will be able to learn in a whole different way.
So true! Notation Programs, Sample Libraries and DAWs can offer new and affordable ways for kids to discover and learn the world of music creation! :)

Thing is, for a budding composer it's quite a good start regardless of what finer points are missing. It's full orchestra for under a grand that isn't recorded to be cinematic sliced bread. We already know it sounds good, certainly for an up-and-coming, and you have the whole orchestra to pick from. The goal right now is composing, not submitting a final piece to JJ Abrams. :grin:

(Editor's note: Long ass rant not directed at any body in particular and wanders all over the place and I have no time to check for mistakes.)

Of course he should think that he's going to be submitting things to JJ Abrams. Why not?

I hear what you are saying but also for a budding composer EWQSO library was created with a whole different set of standards that isn't around today. So, when he butts up against those "quirks" he'll have a hard time finding the support he needs to get over it. Not like back in the day when everybody had EWQLSO and the dry as a bone "VSL" orchestras and we developed a whole slew of techniques to get around the limitations, including scripts, legato scripts, ect. in Kontakt. All that now seems long forgotten and difficult to find.

So, again, if I were starting out I'd go for the all in one library that is new and has built up on that past history and not the one that we've all moved on from. With EWQLSO he'll soon run into the flutes hitting 0db not even adding any other instruments. Then we'll have to go through and explain, you know everybody back then use to normalize every sample so you have to fully balance your template and you'll have to use cc11 to temper the dynamic range....yuck! For somebody who knows how an orchestra works figuring all that out was a nightmare. Seems like BBCSO already has that covered even with prefabbed templates to get you going.

People say that we should "wait and see" but in truth even if they deliver on 1/2 of what they promised it's going to be light years ahead of just about everything in that price range and just about everything else.

A full sampled orchestral package for under a grand was unheard of back when EWQLSO came out. That orchestra was $5000 full in and VSL when you added it all up was closer to $20,000.

So we broke as composer are whining about $700 bucks yet we broke ass composers 15 to 20 years ago didn't think twice about dropping $2000 on one synth or $5000-$20,000 on sample libraries plus the 5 computers needed to run those dam things.

I'm not a fan boy as some suggest. I own "0" spitfire products. Not one. I met the chaps at NAMM once and boy are they really fine people. But, the price and what you get in their older packages was too prohibitive for me and just didn't seem like it was my type of sound.

BBCSO though is a bargain. It sounds friging great. It is untried but so what. EWQLSO when I got it. I just took a chance on it and immediately started scoring films with it and used it exclusively on about 10 projects spanning about 7 years until I got HO.

So it comes as no light thing for me, who has used nearly exclusively EW products in my main template to say, BBCSO seems like a really good buy. I almost feel like a traitor for saying that because I've been an exclusive user of EW products since 2005. Scored many films. Made some money at least enough that I'm still alive and my stuff is all paid for.

I bought EWQLSO just based on the demos. I didn't know of any forum. I was not looped into the sample community. I took a chance and it has paid off but it was a rough learning curve with sleepless nights crying at 4am wondering why it sounded like it did. Finding the forums, posting music, getting bashed, reposting getting some praise, getting tips from guys like Craig Sharmat and many others until I finally figured it out. I wouldn't wish that on anybody since nobody is really fully using that library any more and me for one won't spend the time to gen in a new user on the quirks of EWQLSO. Would be a waste of time.

It's not being a "fanboy" to just say to an up and coming young composer to seriously consider BBCSO and to take a chance on this library and yourself by getting it and the computer needed to run it. It's just common sense. It's what we all did back in the day. Saw were the industry was heading and made that work. Lots of sleepless nights, lots of money wasted, lots of tears of sorrow and of joy, but in the end it all comes down to just taking a chance.

That's what I kind of miss from these forums. When we had limited choices and limited options there was a huge effort to "make it all work" and make it better from the user end. Many of the pioneers of those days that did make it work and did make it better are now selling us their own libraries.

I know I sound like a ranting old geiser. But, this idea that he shouldn't take a chance on an untested product because he's new is so ridiculous. This is when he should take a chance, bust out that credit card. Put down $700 for BBSCO and another $1200 to build his own PC and start friggin' making the best music he can. Not invest in a 15 year old product with little support and very little if any future. EWQLSO "WAS" groundbreaking. It is still very good. There's better.

I know I sound like a ranting old geiser. But, this idea that he shouldn't take a chance on an untested product because he's new is so ridiculous. This is when he should take a chance, bust out that credit card. Put down $700 for BBSCO and another $1200 to build his own PC and start friggin' making the best music he can. Not invest in a 15 year old product with little support and very little if any future. EWQLSO "WAS" groundbreaking. It is still very good. There's better.

Here here! Well said. Crap, I remember just buying the EWQL Complete Collection ten years ago, and didn't even flinch at shelling out $2000 or whatever it was. I bought based purely on the demos, that's it. There were no YouTube videos or anything, and I hadn't even heard of Kontakt yet (and it came with this microscopic GUI called Kompakt). I remember the box showed up at my house with 40+ DVD's, and it was pretty much up to me and the manuals to figure out how they worked...and they sounded EPIC. I think we just take everything for granted these days. You are right, $749 is an absolute bargain for BBCSO, especially if you get the educational discount at $600. You won't find a comparable VI anywhere. SF isn't going to release a half-assed product.

If the OP wants to put almost all his money in one place, it's worth noting that BBCSO will be available sometime late Thursday or Friday. (I just got the email from Spitfire.) The introductory price will continue until November 7, so he will have about two weeks to evaluate and decide.

I continue to think that he should also evaluate one or more less expensive alternatives, such as Amadeus or Palette. That would leave some money to put toward a more powerful computer.

Between these two options, I'm agnostic about which way he should go.

Last edited:
If the OP wants to put almost all his money in one place, it's worth noting that BBCSO will be available sometime late Thursday or Friday. (I just got the email from Spitfire.) The introductory price will continue until November 7, so he will have about two weeks to evaluate and decide.

I continue to think that he should also evaluate one or more less expensive alternatives, such as Amadeus or Palette. That would leave some money to put toward a more powerful computer.

Between these two options, I'm agnostic about which way he should go.
I think OP got scared off many days ago from the volume and depth of response. :)

Buy NI Kontakt instead. Much better first investment, imho. I got EWQL Gold 10 years ago, never used it, and even then it was old. Its like buying a dead race horse.

Buy NI Kontakt instead. Much better first investment, imho. I got EWQL Gold 10 years ago, never used it, and even then it was old. Its like buying a dead race horse.
Starting out by paying full price for Kontakt seems unwise when you can get it so heavily discounted just by buying basically any Kontakt Player library first, of which you're basically guaranteed to want at least a few sooner or later (or what are you even doing buying Kontakt?).

With Black Friday coming up really soon...I'd put off anything until then.
Even the Free Kontakt player with some Symphobia wouldn't be a bad start. Symphobia is not a resource hog by any means.

Not suggesting that EWQLSO would be the more sensible choice. I'd most certainly recommend BBCSO over EWQLSO - obviously.

It just strikes me as quite laughable that BBCSO is already being treated as the 2nd coming of Christ by some, which just is ridiculous, given the fact that absolutely noone was able to get their hands on the thing yet. And these are exactly the people who in a matter of 2 months will be back on the quest for the ultimate, no this time for real, must have thing that will totally elevate everything they do. No matter the pedigree and track record of any developer - they all have some duds and things can always turn out not that optimal. Many times bitten, in the meantime a bit more shy.

Not saying that this will be the case with BBCSO, mind you. In fact, to me it seems that it's gonna be more of the same. Which should be pretty great overall, but still not for everybody and not quite the magic bullet. I have a lot of SF stuff too, and it's been hit and miss, so I too have a reasonable basis for extrapolating that "wait and see" is a sensible approach.
I'm totally with you on this. Hit or miss really sums up my experience with SF libs. I've been wanting to buy the BH toolkit, but have been quite hesitant due to my inconsistent satisfaction with their libraries. Meh.

Last edited:
I'm totally with you on this. Hit or miss really sums up my experience with SF libs. I've been wanting to buy the BH toolkit, but have been quite hesitant due to my inconsistent satisfaction with their libraries. Meh.
I just have a bigger criticism of the BHCT, and that's how the library is organized.
Extended patches, main patches in different folders and partly not all articulations are shown in the contact window.

Apart from that, BHCT is almost the best library I have in terms of basic sound and playability.

Top Bottom