What's new

Is the Albion bundle redundant if i have Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra and Komplete11?

Vastman

we make the future
well said, Goldie... perhaps the biggest challenge for me to date was finding the time, given my overpacked commitments elsewhere... fortunately that's about to change. Sure, spending time learning and using xyz is important...and I look forward to finally having this time!

On the other hand, the diversity of what is available, to tweak ur fancy, stimulate entirely different ideas, and overlay/enhance what another library can't do alone cannot be measured. As a songwriter, opening up an airwave mult in Omnisphere is gonna result in a totally different song than if I start with Diva. Similarly, Ark 1 gets juices going that One won't... likewise, Iceni evokes an awesomeness all it's own. Even that Symphobia, or in my case, OE 1&2 is unique... and NOT the same, in any way, to the Albions.

These are tools. But I learned long ago that tools are important. Creating gardens is like creating music...Yea, I can create an edible garden with a variety of citrus... but selecting from a wider pallet of fruit trees, varieties within the type, and extending this to perennials, annuals, foliage, flowers, vegetables, and berries creates entirely different ecosystems.

I've always said I have more than enough to do an endless stream of creation... and while I've worked hard to declutter and downsize my consumptive upbringing in the material world... shifting these proclivities to the virtual world, which is NOT extractive, IS supportive of creative artists, musicians, and others creating these tools, and which continues to cause me to gawk in amazement... is not a waste or an excuse to not practice and compose...

I view it as an opportunity to open doors and windows I'd never imagined before acquiring said goodies...And considering what most people I know spend their money on... this is far better. I think of this everytime I think about buying some piece of crap... and I buy a lot less crap these days because of these lovely libraries!

robgb

I was young once
Sitting 10 years with SSO still won't make it have sackbutts or recorders, or the a-tonal phrases that are in Albion Uist, nor will it - how ever hard you may try - reach ffff dynamics like on ARK I. You also won't have the bass-celli combos you have in Albion iceni - nor will you have the hyper toms and other booms and sub thuds that you don't have on SSO - nor are they in Komplete 11.
Sounds to me as if you've already made up your mind and are simply looking for justification for your decision. If you want a choir or harp sounds, I wouldn't look to the Albion line for that. You have a perfectly functional harp in the Kontakt VSL legacy patches, and there are a dozen different choirs you can purchase that will serve you well. As for the ppp or fff sounds—really? This specialized nonsense in the sample world is getting a bit too ridiculous. To my mind, such libraries only fill a gap that is SOMETIMES needed, and is certainly not worth the exorbitant cost. But we boys (and girls) like our toys, so have at it.

robgb

I was young once
P.S. I sometimes wish sample developers were as good at fixing the glitches in their products and in customer service as they are at generating wet dreams of musical greatness.

Hanu_H

What kind of music you are writing? I think for orchestral music you would be a lot happier with Spitfire Percussion than any of the Albion's or Ark's. Then if you really want/need ensemble based library, I would first write some music and figure out what is missing when you write. If you do trailer music mostly, then go with Ark 1, if you write more subtle things, then go for Albion One. But just buy the SA Percussion and start writing. I think the Albions won't give you anything you don't already have...only different variation of the same thing.

-Hannes

OP
G

Goldie Zwecker

I guess price will also have an impact on my decision. I have a teacher's discount for Spitfire products which means i get the Albions for less than the regular bundle (regular bundle is $1679, but if i buy each Albion individually with 30% it's $1571 for all five volumes, confirmed by spitfire customer support).
But i teach at a regular high school and Orchestral Tools require proof that you're working in a conservatorium or some kind of educational institution specified for music teaching. So if they won't accept my documents then my money goes to Spitfire, since the 5 Albions with a discount and the 2 ARKs without are like $200 apart.

Vastman

we make the future
Goldie, I'd mention all of the above in your email to OT. They may cut you some slack.

Personally, while I have all the Albions and Symphonic Strings and some Mural, I also have the ARKs and must say I LOVE OT's Capsule system WAY more than spitfire's dinky and cruder GUI which I find a bit challenging. OT's ability to do multiple things in Capsule and it's clean, coherent, perfectly sized GUI has me hooked, in addition to the unique aspects of the ARKs...

You should google around and make sure you watch all of the Capsule vids... playing with it is really cool... I have a bunch of libs and feel it is heads and tales beyond any other GUI re: power, usability and user friendliness.

Both choices are good but different. I would say, based on recent experience, if OT will NOT give you the discount then maybe the Albions would make more sense (although I rarely if ever use several of them, but that's just me). I say this because while OT never has discounted their products after release discounts, they DID do that last nov/december; They gave a 200$ off for Ark 1 over BF for several weeks (I already owned it but many grabbed it then) and then they came out with Ark 2 in December, giving an intro discount of $250 PLUS an additional $100 off if you owned Ark 1! It was a really sweet deal.

Not saying they'll be doing an Ark 3 at the end of this year, but you could hold out hope that they might and/or might do a similar deal for 1&2 over BF timeframe.

I've learned a costly lesson over the years... Buy at intro discount and/or during the BF/Xmas holidays to save ooooodles...

By the way, regardless of any of the above, if you really want something special, grab the Bohemian Violin (36 vicontrol pages!) before price goes up with the soon to be release of expansion pack 1... the current price gets you all future expansions free vs. buying later as each expansion ups the price. It IS AWESOME...as are the folks who've created it... they are just beautiful folks who really talk to us and answer everyone who asks something...rare! The first night it was released I had tears flowing as I was playing it... just playing... no KS, just playing... it is beyond anything produced by either of the companies we're talking about... AI/scripting at a totally different level which enables you to just close your eyes and play... oh just read the thread...

Last edited:

Vastman

we make the future
Keep in mind that 1 Ark doesn't = 1 Albion when it comes to content.
WTF does that mean? They ARE totally different! Personally, I would NOT give up Ark 1 for any or several of the albions but that is a totally personal preference... can't truly speak to Ark 2 at the moment as I'm in the process of relocating, studio/DAW now in Idaho while I'm still in the bay area trying to sell my home. However, I totally fell in love with it's unique instruments/layouts and had a blast with it before tearing down the studio and moving it north.

Content is different...VERY DIFFERENT! ensembles vs more detailed and usable instruments, different instruments, different GUI, and I guess what I'm saying is your comment is kinda ridiculous... I have both and love them for what each is... the albions can't come anywhere near Ark 1 and I'd say visa versa.

Not to be crass but... your comment is absurd, at least that's my initial reaction or maybe I misconstrue your message...??? GBs??? Breadth of distinctive things??? Overlap with SO???

when you say, "keep in mind"... I have to ask, what? Oh well, going to bed... g'night...

Last edited:
OP
G

Goldie Zwecker

Keep in mind that 1 Ark doesn't = 1 Albion when it comes to content.
I know, and i think you misunderstood my comparison. It's not Albion one vs ARK I.
It's Albion one + Albion Loegria + Albion Iceni + Albion Uist + Albion Tundra VS ARK I & ARK II.
If OT won't accept my documents and won't give me a discount than we're talking about something like $200 difference between the two "bundles".
As for content, the two ARK libraries are 129GB combined (75GB for ARK I and 54GB for ARK II - while the 5 albion libraries amount to 210GB of content. That's a difference of 80GB in content if you want to bring that up.

Of course the value of each library isn't measured in the amount of gigabytes. We're not buying vegetables by the pound here. The complete ARK I library is 549 euros for 75GB of content and has a choir included - while 8dio has the LACRIMOSA choir that goes $599 and has only 17GB of content, so not always there's an obvious connection between the amount of gigabytes and the quality of the content included.
But anyway, if they end up not giving me a teacher's discount then it would be obvious to go for the Albions.

M

mac

As for content, the two ARK libraries are 129GB combined (75GB for ARK I and 54GB for ARK II - while the 5 albion libraries amount to 210GB of content. That's a difference of 80GB in content if you want to bring that up.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the GB sizes. If you look at the samples themselves, there's a lot of empty space in them there files (not pointing the finger at anyone in particular). Also, once you start multiplying by the different mics available, it quickly becomes apparent that library size is more or less just a pissing content. Look how much you get in some of the smaller libraries from soundiron and best service.

OP
G

Goldie Zwecker

I wouldn't get too hung up on the GB sizes. If you look at the samples themselves, there's a lot of empty space in them there files (not pointing the finger at anyone in particular). Also, once you start multiplying by the different mics available, it quickly becomes apparent that library size is more or less just a pissing content. Look how much you get in some of the smaller libraries from soundiron and best service.
In both cases, both companies state that they have a bigger volume which is then compressed. In the case of ARK it's 160gb compressed into 75gb, etc. Albions - same story. So, same same.

M

mac

@Goldie Zwecker Ja, I'm just saying that a certain percentage of a libraries overall size can be somewhat exaggerated with a whole lot of nothing, some being worse than others. I wish devs would chill with the GB war, and concentrate on optimising files a bit better. SSDs don't grow on trees!

Edit - I do realise what a first world problem this is :whistling:

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
You own these plus SSO? Then you don't really need anything else. Seriously. If you can't make amazing music with these, spending another grand or so will not make a difference. Unless, of course, you're rich. If so, you might as well buy them all. Plus Berlin. Plus 8dio.

Seriously, there comes a point where you just need to sit down a learn to best utilize the libraries you have.

This, completely. You have so much wonderful stuff to work with, best to work on making great music with it.

Ashermusic

FWIW I am a great believer in not putting all your eggs in any one developer's basket. They all have different philosophies and types of sound.

But at its current price point, if you have SSDs for it, the Hollywood Orchestra is an amazing bargain and to my mind, still the most versatile, because it is relatively dry and very complete without having to buy supplementary things from the same developer. But definitely not an instant gratification thing.

OP
G

Goldie Zwecker

I understand.. I meant 1 as in single. The Albions are cheaper for a reason, is all I'm saying.
I'm not sure there's a connection. Even within the ARK series itself. Ark II has 20gb less than Ark I, but costs $50 more. Go figure.

FredrikJonasson

I only have Albion ONE (and the original Albion) and while it's not redundant, I don't think it's a particular good idea to get the Albions directly after geting SSO. If you don't have ALOT of money that you just want to spend that is.

I'd like to get all Albions too, but when I think about what I already have and how quite seldom I use Albion it's just not reasonable in my case, at least not until I make a lot more money from my music.

It's easy to get dragged into the shopping hysteria around here :)

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
It's easy to get dragged into the shopping hysteria around here :)

I noticed that I spend more time here when I'm not writing. Makes me wonder exactly how much music is actually being made by many of the members here. From my experience, it takes up a lot of time, composing. Even this morning I'm just brushing up some arrangements, if I were knee deep in a composition I would have posted very little at all.

Forgive my digression.

robgb

I was young once
FWIW I am a great believer in not putting all your eggs in any one developer's basket. They all have different philosophies and types of sound.

But at its current price point, if you have SSDs for it, the Hollywood Orchestra is an amazing bargain and to my mind, still the most versatile, because it is relatively dry and very complete without having to buy supplementary things from the same developer. But definitely not an instant gratification thing.
I agree. Or you could think about doing EWs cloud thing and get a taste of the instruments before you buy. I think it behooves any recording composer today to learn how to deal with dry samples and the basic techniques of mixing. People do like their instant gratification, but that comes at a cost, in my opinion.

Top Bottom