What's new

Is Omnisphere still the best all-in-one choice?

Surprising that a lot of people don't seem to know that Omnisphere has full synth capabilities. It certainly is not just sample playback software.
Besides the presets that come with Omnisphere, there are a zillion other presets from lots of sound designers such as: Luftrum, The Unfinished, Sonic Underworld, PluginGuru, Rocky Mountain Sounds, Hollo Sound, RDH, Planet Omnisphere, VintageSynthPresets, New Loops, Subsonic Artz, Triple Spiral Audio, and a lot more ...
A good tutorial class on Udemy.
Diva and Zebra are both great. People seem to overlook Synapse Audio Dune 3. Dune 3 has great sounds but could use a preset browser upgrade. Lush 101 also sounds very good.
Full Bucket has good sounding synths for free or a donation.
I am an old guy who is lucky enough to be able to buy software synths and presets and spend time on them. Amazing stuff is available. I have a LOT of software synths. JP6K also good and many more.
Of course I have Repro 1 and 5, XILS 505, VPS Avenger, Roland JP-3X and 106, Korg stuff, the Arturia synths, Sylenth1, Soniccouture Attic 2, TAL-U-NO-LX, OB-Xtreme, Spitfire eDNA, and ...

Well guys, I’ve received my Omnisphere but I’m a little bit overwhelmed. Have no idea where to start and just playing with the presets will take me years...

I’ve also bought the Keyscape and Trilian. I’ve been wanting to get the Keyscape but always told myself I’d had enough piano libraries.

Anyways I gotta find some Omni presets. It’s just too powerful for someone like me.
The best advice I can give you in using Omnisphere is to save every patch that you stumble across and really like as a favourite.

Here are the instructions on how to do this.

Because there are so many patches in Omnisphere, it's really easy to find a patch that you love, and then never find it again.

So whenever I'm browsing through patches, even if its not the kind of sound that I'm looking for at the time, If I happen across a really cool sound I will star it.

I really wish I had thought to do this from the beginning.

Surprising that a lot of people don't seem to know that Omnisphere has full synth capabilities. It certainly is not just sample playback software.
Besides the presets that come with Omnisphere, there are a zillion other presets from lots of sound designers such as: Luftrum, The Unfinished, Sonic Underworld, PluginGuru, Rocky Mountain Sounds, Hollo Sound, RDH, Planet Omnisphere, VintageSynthPresets, New Loops, Subsonic Artz, Triple Spiral Audio, and a lot more ...
A good tutorial class on Udemy.
Diva and Zebra are both great. People seem to overlook Synapse Audio Dune 3. Dune 3 has great sounds but could use a preset browser upgrade. Lush 101 also sounds very good.
Full Bucket has good sounding synths for free or a donation.
I am an old guy who is lucky enough to be able to buy software synths and presets and spend time on them. Amazing stuff is available. I have a LOT of software synths. JP6K also good and many more.
Of course I have Repro 1 and 5, XILS 505, VPS Avenger, Roland JP-3X and 106, Korg stuff, the Arturia synths, Sylenth1, Soniccouture Attic 2, TAL-U-NO-LX, OB-Xtreme, Spitfire eDNA, and ...
Amen to that. In addition to having a killer library of samples Omnisphere is a full blown synthesizer with the same oscillator options you'll see in any other subtractive synth. It also has 400 wavetables and does FM, RM, has sub-oscillators (4! per oscillator, all of which can be assigned to different wavetables. Try that in Serum/Massive X/Pigments, etc, etc....) and it has the lushest unison of all the synth VIs I own. The last one's obviously subjective. But IMO Omnisphere's unison crushes anything other synth short of maybe Falcon's Thorus.

Pretty sure people who don't like Omnisphere tend to be people who stick to presets...(And it's not like the presets are bad o_O) My guess is these people just get overwhelmed by the amount of presets, which ironically the perfect argument for opening up the hood and learning how to make it do what you want. ;)

Granted the engine is intimidating, but once you get under the hood Omnisphere has an insane arsenal at your disposal. It's anything but 'just a sample player'. Anyone who says that hasn't put any kind of effort into making their own patches or editing existing ones.

Last edited:
? Really? I don't think I've encountered anyone who knew about it that didn't know it did. In fact, if anything, it's the reverse; they think that's all or mostly what it is. When I first heard about it, that was my assumption as well.

? Really? I don't think I've encountered anyone who knew about it that didn't know it did. In fact, if anything, it's the reverse; they think that's all or mostly what it is. When I first heard about it, that was my assumption as well.
Because Omnisphere is reknowned for having a huge sample library, some people assume it's just a rompler. I've seen a lot of people make that comment over the years, although it usually comes from people who haven't used it.

if i had nothing to have and wanted to buy something! my first one was omnisphere hands down. here is too many things about it that i just cant recommend it more. first purchase makes you not only super versitile right of the bat but also gives you the ability to compose in so many different style which basically you can not find anywhere else. you can do epic to the most softest things. the dynamics that ominsphere gives you in return is priceless. some could invest thousands of dollars in so many different things and omnisphere would supply mostly stuff you need in one place with no even breaking the bank for what you get.

it is insane and its simply impossible to go wrong with this. they put so much love to this company and their instrument which you can see into it everytime you start composing with it.

i do not use its much because i have spent so much money on several other things but 500$ first hand instrument no brainer and is a must have in my list.

the combination of native komplete ultimate and this, your set on so many levels thatyou would need to really dig into hours of research to find what you really need.

if i were to get one or the other omnisphere would be a close match to komplete ulitmate and its half the cost.

Do you guys also have crackles when loading the Armando Pluck or Big Boomer presets? I found old threads about this issue with these presets but couldn't find a solution.

Where else could you have this much fun with a kitchen utensil? :laugh:
This preset was made from tones I recorded from a glass measuring cup, which makes a sort of singing bowl tone when rubbed. I put the samples in two Omnisphere layers, added some filters, and set the modwheel to bring in textural ornaments, brighter timbre, and a rhythmic component. At some point you just have to decide to stop tweaking, because you can always add or remove layers, filters etc. Really a practically unlimited sonic playground.

The best advice I can give you in using Omnisphere is to save every patch that you stumble across and really like as a favourite.

Here are the instructions on how to do this.

Because there are so many patches in Omnisphere, it's really easy to find a patch that you love, and then never find it again.

So whenever I'm browsing through patches, even if its not the kind of sound that I'm looking for at the time, If I happen across a really cool sound I will star it.

I really wish I had thought to do this from the beginning.
I'd also suggest just hitting the shuffle button and going through a few random patches and rating them every now and then. There's just so much stuff in Omni and since a lot of the patches are similar I found it quite unbearable to just go through them one by one linearly (it gets quite hard to "objectively" rate them when you're onto 10th guitar in a row lol). But with shuffle it's a lot of fun and you often discover some new interesting sounds.

Did you loop the samples first, and if so, how?

Thanks mate. Nice effort.
No the looping is done in Omnisphere automatically it seems... the dragged-in samples were just 7 seconds long, but holding the keys down / sustain pedal makes notes as long as you want. Actually I'm curious how you would turn that off, since it probably would be nice to have it only play a few seconds for some uses. Back to the manual I guess :cool:.

Edit: Not so simple, the note is 7 seconds long if played at the exact pitch recorded. Lower keys make longer notes, higher pitch shorter. It just happened to sound good so I left it at default.

Exactly. You had me all-excited there for a moment.

I know there are apps out there that you can loop in, but I wonder if one could use, say, Falcon to embed loops and use the resulting .wav files.

If so, I wonder what the restrictions are. My preferred method is often the forwards-and-backwards one 'cause it avoids having to marry up "joins" as a playback engine moves from end-point to start-point. I fell in love with this method back in the EPS / ASR-10 days and I don't know if Falcon (the only "sampler" I have now) does it.

Just putting' this out there. Thank you again, mate.

Exactly. You had me all-excited there for a moment.

I know there are apps out there that you can loop in, but I wonder if one could use, say, Falcon to embed loops and use the resulting .wav files.

If so, I wonder what the restrictions are. My preferred method is often the forwards-and-backwards one 'cause it avoids having to marry up "joins" as a playback engine moves from end-point to start-point. I fell in love with this method back in the EPS / ASR-10 days and I don't know if Falcon (the only "sampler" I have now) does it.

Just putting' this out there. Thank you again, mate.

If you apply "granular" in a synthesizer that has it, that pretty much will make the sample last longer than you'd want to use, making loop less necessary. I held a key down and my 7-second sample played for 50 seconds before it started to fade.

But, granular changes the sound quite a bit. It sort of parses the sample section by section and digests it using some algorithm to spit out audio. Colossally powerful tool though when you want to just explore your sample. Besides Omnisphere, there are some more standalone granular synths like Venom and Portal.

If you apply "granular" in a synthesizer that has it, that pretty much will make the sample last longer than you'd want to use, making loop less necessary. I held a key down and my 7-second sample played for 50 seconds before it started to fade.

But, granular changes the sound quite a bit. It sort of parses the sample section by section and digests it using some algorithm to spit out audio. Colossally powerful tool though when you want to just explore your sample. Besides Omnisphere, there are some more standalone granular synths like Venom and Portal.
Granular's a different beast altogether of course; it drastically changes the sound.

Yeah, it'd be nice if Omni had formant-intelligent mapping across the keyboard, Emmet.

Back in the '90s I was convinced that it was the future for samplers 'cause in theory one would be able to get away with a single sample per-instrument, ignoring layering of course. I underestimated the explosion in memory and storage space that ensued, which I s'pose took the pressure off development of that approach.

Nevertheless, no, that's not what I'm looking for. I was just curious how folks looped their samples prior to importing into Omni 'cause the VI lacks the functionality that allows one to set loop points. It plays them back just-fine, but if you create the samples yourself...

Hi, I’ve heard of it as one of the best synths more than ten years ago but I never got into the synth world. I’m wondering if it’s still the best all-in-one choice? I know something else will probably sound better in certain ways, or is more analog sounding.

Because I only tried some presets years ago, I barely remember anything. I remember there were many different categories iirc. Is there another synth that can also do it all, covers many categories?

I’m thinking of buying it but don’t know if it’s still the best choice when it comes to versatility, and man I never saw it on sale. Like I said I don’t have much experience in synth, so having good presets is kinda a big thing.

I know some other popular options are u-he, Arturia V Collection, Serum, Synapse Audio Dune and Legend, Sylenth1, VPS Avenger, SynthMaster... But again, is Omnisphere the one I’m looking for? Or any other recommendations? Thanks!
Omnisphere is one of the best synths, because it can do almost everthing and I use it on many tracks, but I also use Dune3, Sylenth, Avenger, Nexus ... because all of them have their own strengths. But that also depends on the music I make. For Trance and "modern" EDM stuff I mostly use Sylenth, Nexus and Dune3. For DnB, Industrial, Dark Electro, IDM I often use Serum and Rapid, but for Ambient, Cinematic and Orchestral stuff Omisphere with some 3rd Party soundsets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom