What's new

Is Omnisphere still the best all-in-one choice?

With the years I have invested in Omnisphere (back to Atmosphere), a redesign of the gui would be awful. I already know what everything looks like and where everything is. Having to relearn an interface for the same functions wouldn't make any sense to me. Now, if Spectrasonics overhauls Omnisphere with new features and functions, then I wouldn't mind a new design. But a new gui is LOW on my want list.
Makes total sense. I didn’t consider this from a long term user‘s perspective.

With the years I have invested in Omnisphere (back to Atmosphere), a redesign of the gui would be awful. I already know what everything looks like and where everything is. Having to relearn an interface for the same functions wouldn't make any sense to me. Now, if Spectrasonics overhauls Omnisphere with new features and functions, then I wouldn't mind a new design. But a new gui is LOW on my want list.
That's understandable. We all have muscle memory and it's always annoying when you need to unlearn what you have learned. But on the other hand it is sometimes necessary to reinvent something to make new features intuitive and make room for them. Sometimes you can't just add more and more apples to the same basket.
Music software is actually quite stable in terms of GUI evolution.

This is perhaps not the best example on this forum but in 3D software world you can see changes a bit better. 3DS Max for instance is a software which adds more and more features without changing it's core and it just getting more and more messy. Blender 3D on the other hand is an open source 3D software which is redesigned from ground up every few years. It hurts when you have to switch but with every redesign comes significant functionality boost.

Well guys, I’ve received my Omnisphere but I’m a little bit overwhelmed. Have no idea where to start and just playing with the presets will take me years...

I’ve also bought the Keyscape and Trilian. I’ve been wanting to get the Keyscape but always told myself I’d had enough piano libraries.

Anyways I gotta find some Omni presets. It’s just too powerful for someone like me.

Well guys, I’ve received my Omnisphere but I’m a little bit overwhelmed. Have no idea where to start and just playing with the presets will take me years...

I’ve also bought the Keyscape and Trilian. I’ve been wanting to get the Keyscape but always told myself I’d had enough piano libraries.

Anyways I gotta find some Omni presets. It’s just too powerful for someone like me.
Take your time. If you don't want to discover it by yourself, I remember there are 2 or 3 video courses on Ask Audio about basics and sound design in Omnisphere. I'm sure there are some free ones on Youtube as well, but those on Ask Audio shows step by step all windows and features of Omnisphere.

Take your time. If you don't want to discover it by yourself, I remember there are 2 or 3 video courses on Ask Audio about basics and sound design in Omnisphere. I'm sure there are some free ones on Youtube as well, but those on Ask Audio shows step by step all windows and features of Omnisphere.

lots of tutorials on YouTube. I personally recommend one by Jack from Lean Musician his otherUdemy/ Skillshare courses are also very good.

Since you have Keyscape too, don't forget to download the Keyscape Creative patches that make great use of Omnisphere's power with Keyscape's samples.

Best,

Geoff

I'm excited on your behalf! :grin:
When I bought Omnisphere last month, I simultaneously purchased a Plugin Guru preset pack, as well as one by The Unfinished. Highly recommend those. However, I've yet to use them since I immediately got absorbed in importing my own samples.

To start off, the Arp and Rhythmic Envelopes are always fun. Envelopes are great on pads or sustained sounds. In the lower right, you'll see Amp should be lit up by default, then just open the Envelopes dropdown. There are four envelopes that affect all your layers, and each layer can have two of its own.

OK, so my Omnisphere USB package arrived yesterday and I installed it.

After playing with it for a bit (while also trying to work and assist kids with remote learning) I've come to a few immediate conclusions:

1) Holy sh** I should have bought this earlier, maybe instead of a couple other sample instruments I bought during summer sales recently.

2) One of my favorite aspects is how every single patch has some informative text commentary, like how to get the most of that patch, or some background information on the sampled instrument. It really shows the time and effort put into the library.

3) Multis are a lot of fun

4) My Wavestate is feeling a bit jealous (though different tools), it's hard to compare 2GB of sample material vs. 60+ GB

5) The interface is very clean, doesn't overwhelm you with info you don't need. It looks "dated" in some respects but I wouldn't completely redo it, just add some more visual feedback perhaps but keep the layout the same. Pretty easy to get around if you know the basics of synthesis.

6) Multis are a ton of fun (again), latch mode is sweet, and the Orb is crazy

Minor complaints:

A small number of patches are throwing errors. Primarily guitar patches for some reason. I might have some corrupted files, I have emailed support.

Reface CS hardware integration isn't SUPER useful, and I actually like the sound from the hardware synth better than the Omnisphere version. Some of the controls don't do the same thing as the hardware because FM and Ring Mod aren't a 1-to-1 mapping. BUT you can assign multiple LFO's which you can't do with the hardware. I would rather have a much knobbier synth for hardware control (Roland SE02 would be nice).

Summary... an extremely impressive package, Alchemy no longer compares, and I have no excuse not to be writing music except that I keep just endlessly messing with presets!

Last edited:
Yeah, Omni is a rabbit hole of presets. As I said in an earlier post, I go back to Atmosphere, and I'm sure that I haven't tried every patch yet. Endless fun for sure!

Hi

I just managed to buy a "second-hand copy" of Omnisphere - so I'm happy to be stuck with it - and after some great help from Brian (Spectrasonics support) everything seems to work fine and already many smiles just auditioning preset sounds :dancer:... so far so good.

Cheers, DoFuzz

Hi

I just managed to buy a "second-hand copy" of Omnisphere - so I'm happy to be stuck with it - and after some great help from Brian (Spectrasonics support) everything seems to work fine and already many smiles just auditioning preset sounds :dancer:... so far so good.

Cheers, DoFuzz

My desert-island instrument. Have fun! :2thumbs:

Hi

Cheers, DoFuzz

Such a massive ( pardon the pun ) amount of quality, video tutorials to get you to any level of competence you choose. A huge source is pluginguru.com on YT and his site. One of most capable creators and users around. His many Livestreams are often filled with great content, especially prior to his own UNIFY development. Enjoy ! :thumbsup:

I will say what I told one of my Logic Pro students yesterday: if you are going to purchase one thing and one thing only to supplement all the software instruments that are part of Logic, it should be Omnisphere. It is the Swiss Army knife of software instruments.

I bought Omnisphere, back when it was released, it was my first Synth and I was using it every Day.
I do not know at all how I could ever stop using it, but I did when I didn't install it on my MBP to which I switched in 2011. And now all these Years later I just found the CD's and installed it back on our Ryzen 9 Machine, and boy what should I say :D
It is still as impressive as it was back then, how in the World could I live so many Years without it!!!

Hi guys,

thx for the additional info on videos and the stuff I need to get more familiar with being a mere guitar player :alien: .... so lots of stuff to learn!

Cheers, DoFuzz

Top Bottom