What's new

Is now the best time to get OT Time Macro & Time Micro? Or wait for next year's sale?

Goldie Zwecker

Wondering what would be the best bet as to when to buy this. I see NI is having a sale again. People thought the former sale was a one time thing - and it appears it isn't.
So the sale now has Time MACRO, a year after it's out, for 50%. Also ARK 4 for 50% off - but when bundled together with another ark it's 63% off.
This makes me wonder whether in a year's time we'll see another OT/NI sale, offering Time Macro & Micro for 63% off, making it worthwhile to wait. But then again they might not, and now is the best price available.

Also OT is very likely to have their own webshop running at that time, whether that gives a better discount is another question though

Also OT is very likely to have their own webshop running at that time, whether that gives a better discount is another question though
I doubt it

if it's like literally anything else buying piecemeal will cost more - and maybe newer non kontakt libraries might cost slightly less due to licensing

not to be a neysayer but OT isn't much for sales, partly for this very reason

I SERIOUSLY doubt you'll ever see more than 63%

OT held out for a long time from even having sales outside of intro pricing
But that's my point. Right now, Time Macro sells for 50%, and Time Micro is €249 instead of €399, which means maybe 40% off.
So given that they sell the two ARKs for 63% off means they might do the same, a year from now, to a Time Macro & Micro bundle. Right now, though, they are far from being 63% off. But as i said, you can't know for sure which kind of sales they'll have a year from now. So there for i'm trying to decide what to bet.

the ark series is much older in general - and given there are more of them it's in their financial interest to get first time buyers hooked into the ecosystem

maybe there will be an inspire bundle at 63% 2 years from now, but what is the difference between that and buying it now? a single day of work in most modern countries?

the ark series is much older in general - and given there are more of them it's in their financial interest to get first time buyers hooked into the ecosystem
Ark 1 & 2 might be older, but Ark 4 came after Time Macro, yet it's being sold with Ark 3 for 63% off, so....

it's not "so...." it's common sense marketing, the ark series is larger series, so hooking them into a series where they might by 2 more libraries is a lot more profit than *might* pick up the other one.

people will likely buy ark 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, decide they really like those libraries and pick up one of the ones their missing ar fill price in a few months

the market is going to be a lot bigger as well for the Arks over the rather niche time series.

I can tell you that I wouldn't bet on it personally. even if it was a 50/50 chance it's a negligible different in price vs now

I mean literally talking about waiting a year or two to save $50 on a chance seems really odd

If an extra $50 on a sample library is too much to spend, then you don't need to be spending money on artsy situational libraries like the time series

That's one of the reasons I hate that companies like east west and cinesamples started doing those flash sales with massive discounts... They are much older libraries, have already gotten their return on investment and are just trying to squeeze out some extra money, but as a result all of these other companies I started doing wild sales and now the community has a tire packs of people that are too afraid to buy anything because they are afraid it's going to go on sale in the next 3 or 4 months

Here is an undeniable fact: Orchestral Tools introduced their new player in January of this year.

As they have announced their intention to sell their instruments separately, it would seem very likely that over time they will move ALL their libraries over to the new player.

As they are certainly sharing a lot of the money from these sales with NI on top of the deep discounting, it's possible there will never be another Native Instruments Orchestral Tools sale. When they have their own player they won't even have to pay the NI licensing fees for the free Kontakt player. So why share the money with NI?

A developer once told me that he gets 50% from an APD offer, on top of the crazy discount. I don't know what the split is with NI, but I have no doubt there is a split and that it is substantial.

Of course there is the possibility of an OT sale, and the prices, minus the NI split, will be even better, but I don't think so. Those prices are connected to the huge NI mailing list.

if I buy Time Macro, it will be now or probably never. The full price is too much for me.

Here is an undeniable fact: Orchestral Tools introduced their new player in January of this year.

As they have announced their intention to sell their instruments separately, it would seem very likely that over time they will move ALL their libraries over to the new player.

As they are certainly sharing a lot of the money from these sales with NI on top of the deep discounting, it's possible there will never be another Native Instruments Orchestral Tools sale. When they have their own player they won't even have to pay the NI licensing fees for the free Kontakt player. So why share the money with NI?

A developer once told me that he gets 50% from an APD offer, on top of the crazy discount. I don't know what the split is with NI, but I have no doubt there is a split and that it is substantial.

Of course there is the possibility of an OT sale, and the prices, minus the NI split, will be even better, but I don't think so. Those prices are connected to the huge NI mailing list.

if I buy Time Macro, it will be now or probably never. The full price is too much for me.

My rule of thumb in situations like this, just in case it helps, is: buy Time Macro now!

Just bought time macro, are the full orchestra and time patches difficult to find?

Or has my version not installed properly?

Caved in and went to buy both Macro and Micro. But buying Macro via the NI sale was a breeze - while the OT website gives me hell when i'm using the very same Paypal account. I tried several times but no luck. Waited for this morning to try again, thinking perhaps there might be too much traffic on the OT site, but this happens over and over again.
I wrote an email to OT support and waiting for their reply although i'm guessing they won't answer until monday. Hope i won't miss the intro sale just for a stupid technical problem.

Top Bottom