What's new

Is Ludwig Van Beethoven Overrated as a Composer?

Vardaro

Orchestration? I have played viola in most of his symphonies, and from the "centre" of the orchestra, I am continually delighted by the subtle variations in voice doubling and timbre.

Melody, harmony? Often apparently simple to the limit of banal, but his genius lies in their timing.

Also, his symphonies and piano sonatas are his "public" side; delve into the string quartets, where there is much more density and power.

jbuhler

Orchestration? I have played viola in most of his symphonies, and from the "centre" of the orchestra, I am continually delighted by the subtle variations in voice doubling and timbre.

Melody, harmony? Often apparently simple to the limit of banal, but his genius lies in their timing.

Also, his symphonies and piano sonatas are his "public" side; delve into the string quartets, where there is much more density and power.
Yes, for the big Beethoven Strings library SF had to go back into Air and record the quartet articulations because of the uproar when the Strings library was first released without them (the update hasn’t yet appeared). Still all would have been forgiven if they’d just called the library the Beethoven “Freude” Strings. But without that clear indication in their marketing everyone was of course expecting the library to easily produce the quartet sound Ludwig made famous in his Grosse Fuga.

Well, this guy was different. While everybody else was writing sweet little tunes he started expressing his emotions via music, providing the world with a new style of music they never heard before, and his music completely changed how people think about music down the road. Of course, you can also try something totally new but creating something that's completely new and also actually works at the same time is difficult. Oh, also, try to write something in your little DAW with earplugs on, just by looking at midi notes, not hearing them.

Last edited:

Babe

I just thumbed through the Bernstein Video grabbing bits and pieces. My theory teacher, back in 1971 said the same thing. Not the best orchestrator, not the best melodist, not the best harmonist, but every note was perfect.

fixxer49

Bouncing Consultant
I just thumbed through the Bernstein Video grabbing bits and pieces. My theory teacher, back in 1971 said the same thing. Not the best orchestrator, not the best melodist, not the best harmonist, but every note was perfect.
They’re both just quoting/parroting Rimsky-Korsakov (and it's usually misunderstood or misinterpreted out of context.)

OP
Parsifal666

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
Bernstein was just making a grab for attention, he was actually a huge admirer of LvB, just as any learned musician/composer/conductor is.

pinki

Hate to say it but....yes. (as in overrated)
Much prefer Mozart and in particular Haydn..whom he got most of it from!
Subtle he ain't. I think it's hilarious what Bernstein is saying..and what a drama queen! (takes one to know one!)

Some slow movements of the piano concertos I adore but oh that general over use of cadence is insane. And that spinning a whole symphony from 4 notes nonsense...so boring.
Said in the holiday fun spirit!

OP
Parsifal666

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
Hate to say it but....yes. (as in overrated)
Much prefer Mozart and in particular Haydn..whom he got most of it from!
Subtle he ain't. I think it's hilarious what Bernstein is saying..and what a drama queen! (takes one to know one!)

Some slow movements of the piano concertos I adore but oh that general over use of cadence is insane. And that spinning a whole symphony from 4 notes nonsense...so boring.
Said in the holiday fun spirit!
As I mentioned earlier, hilarious stuff like this is the reason I started this thread (and yes, I also mean this in the holiday fun spirit.)

luke_7

My God, what a timing just at the end of 2018 you won the first prize for the worst entry that took place not only this year but in the entire history of this forum. Bravissimo Parsifal666 Bravissimo

Brian2112

I think the 9th is the single greatest achievement in human history.
The instrumental section of Freewill by Rush is up there too. :sneaky:

Top Bottom