What's new

Is KSP backward compatible ?

Fredeke

Hello

I am currently developing a sample library for Kontakt 5.

I am about to begin some heavy scripting, but I wonder : will the scripts (and the whole library, for that matter) work in Kontakt 6 as well ?

Thanks

Hi.

KSP is always forward compatible, but not necessarily backwards compatible.
Your KSP created for Kontakt 6, may very well work for Kontakt 5 versions.
You just need to be sure that the commands, controls, etc, you use were already implemented in the older versions.

Regards.

Hi.

KSP is always forward compatible, but not necessarily backwards compatible.
Your KSP created for Kontakt 6, may very well work for Kontakt 5 versions.
You just need to be sure that the commands, controls, etc, you use were already implemented in the older versions.

Regards.

You have the definitions reversed :)

"Backward compatible" means that the latest version of a program can run files made with earlier versions. Almost all modern programs are backward compatible. This includes KSP.

"Forward compatible", which is quite rare, means that an earlier version can load files made with a more recent version.

Kontakt 6 loading Kontakt 5 files means Kontakt 6 is "backward compatible".

IF Kontakt 5 could load Kontakt 6 files, it would be "forward compatible". This is not the case.

You have the definitions reversed :)

Yes, i mixed them up there. Thanks.

I'll correct it:
KSP is always backwards compatible, but not necessarily forwards compatible.

Simply taking the code - KSP, it is indeed backwards compatible, meaning, code made with Kontakt 5 KSP commands/variables/controls, etc, will be compatible with all future versions.

Code made for Kontakt 6, will be able to be implemented in a Kontakt 5 instrument (forwards compatible) only if there are no Kontakt 6 exclusive commands/variables/controls present.

Kontakt 6 loading Kontakt 5 files means Kontakt 6 is "backward compatible".

IF Kontakt 5 could load Kontakt 6 files, it would be "forward compatible". This is not the case.

Yes, but the question wasn't about nki's. The question was about KSP. :)

Edit:

Say you create a new Kontakt 6 instrument.
You have your code and you decide to make a Kontakt 5 version of that instrument.
You create a new nki, remap, etc. You apply your "Kontakt 6" code into your new Kontakt 5 nki.

The code may work, that's why i said it may or not be forwards compatible, depending on the commands/controls used...

Last edited:
Thanks guys !

So, in short, I don't need to worry.
... Right ? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom