What's new

Is it worthwhile crossgrading to NI's 'Symphony Series - Collection' for £239?

Should I splash the money?

• Yay

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Lilalon

Hi everyone,
I currently own Native Instrument's Komplete Ultimate 11 which includes some symphony essentials instruments. Aside from those in the Kontakt Factory Library (and Sibelius sounds), these are the only orchestral virtual instruments that I own.

For £239.50 ($299.50), is it worthwhile for me to upgrade to the 'Symphony Series - Collection' while it is on sale? This would give me a proper percussion library while enhancing my other orchestral libraries. I intend to utilise these in my upcoming Master's composition course.

I can't really afford to spend any more money than this (max £300) on libraries for the foreseeable future, so that rules out many of the more expensive options. It's also crucial for me to have precise control over each instrument, which rules out the multi patches of plugins such as Spitfire's Albion One.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade or should I look at other options? It seems like the collection definitely won't be part of KU12.

Thanks all.

We've had this conversation a lot this week!
Quick summary:
Yes, there are better libraries, but they're (much) more expensive.
Yes, the libraries have quirks and strange design choices.

But. It's a complete steal at that price and you'll get a lot of work done and music written with the collection as long as you write to the strengths of the library. That's the bottom line.

The percussion alone is worth the price of entry.
If you want it, go for it.

Thank you for the quick response Alex.

The reason why I asked is because I could only find people asking about Essentials, not the full version. I think I will make the plunge.

Hi everyone,
I currently own Native Instrument's Komplete Ultimate 11 which includes some symphony essentials instruments. Aside from those in the Kontakt Factory Library (and Sibelius sounds), these are the only orchestral virtual instruments that I own.

For £239.50 ($299.50), is it worthwhile for me to upgrade to the 'Symphony Series - Collection' while it is on sale? This would give me a proper percussion library while enhancing my other orchestral libraries. I intend to utilise these in my upcoming Master's composition course.

I can't really afford to spend any more money than this (max £300) on libraries for the foreseeable future, so that rules out many of the more expensive options. It's also crucial for me to have precise control over each instrument, which rules out the multi patches of plugins such as Spitfire's Albion One.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade or should I look at other options? It seems like the collection definitely won't be part of KU12.

Thanks all.

I'm in similar position with K11U, but with additional libraries such as (3) Albions, Sonuscore_The Orchestra, BO_Inspire, KH_Diamond Symphony Orch, LADD, Sonokinetic.
Even so, the current NI_SS Collection Crossgrade is still a strong attraction given its content for this cost.

In your case, ( It's also crucial for me to have precise control over each instrument ) seems a strong reason to go forward.

In my case the alternative of RedRoom Audio's _ PALETTE - Symphonic Sketchpad (for $299.) is viable.

Decisions, decisions …. :unsure:

After having heard more audio demos from the NI shop (there are so many different, essentials and series comes with two different huge sets, same goes for all their four particular included libraries if I remember correctly) and watched some walkthrough videos, I really find the sound awesome. The only thing I noticed was that due to only 4 roundrobins on strings (which sound like 1 or 2) on quick pattern with the same note played you get a bit of a machine gun effect, but not THAT worse. That being said I noticed that other instruments have 8 round robins, I don't remember if it was brass or woodwinds. I think brass.

Personally I was about to purchase it (upgrade to K11 ->200€ + upgrade to series = 300€ = 500€ total) but noticed then that a single patch (per section) does consume around 0.66GB of ram and since I only have 8GB total, I would need to invest another 122€ for 32GB of extra RAM, which is in total not worth the money for me right now, goes too deep into my savings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom