What's new

Is Hans Zimmer overrated as a composer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His work is brilliant because he takes an emotion or idea from a narrative and makes it gloriously explode into a musical statement. Figuring out the notes isn't going to tell you that but listening to the music might

I don't. It's sad to see people act like complete jerks and not even have the guts to apologize when they see they are wrong.

You've missed my point. My comment itself was ironic. Read it again :) In fact, it completely agrees with your sentiment. There were quite a few things that went (and continue to go) unnoticed by the commenter.

I don't. It's sad to see people act like complete jerks and not even have the guts to apologize when they see they are wrong.

I admitted I was a jerk for bringing it up and explained why I noticed the anomalies. I also said I don't really care because overall I enjoyed the concert. Hans seemed ok with it and we had a good laugh. But apparently you still feel the need to be outraged. If you can't let it go, perhaps you can start a separate thread about what a jerk I am.

the one thing I've learned from this (hopefully dying soon) thread is that a giant of modern film music can actually take the time and effort to keep himself into a crowd of digitally living dead for the sake of contributing to a community. Which is, without any doubt, admirable...even honestly hard to understand at times. All in all it's like watching NBA tops playing with kids on the streets. Definitely nice.

That comparison is a bit of an insult to those kids. ;)

I admitted I was a jerk for bringing it up and explained why I noticed the anomalies. I also said I don't really care because overall I enjoyed the concert. Hans seemed ok with it and we had a good laugh. But apparently you still feel the need to be outraged. If you can't let it go, perhaps you can start a separate thread about what a jerk I am.
I am totally ok. Really. But just to prove that I can play it on a Grand Piano (ok,I start in the wrong octave, but it was the first time we tried it live...and it was just our premiere party...), watch it from about 5:00 min in.

Got to be able to take things in stride and laugh at ourselves or we'll go crazy.

Well, sort off. But you know what I really try to “feel”? What’s inside the psychology of the writer/director... .
Yeah, you can show everything that you master, you can prove everything you can, but that's no use if it does not fit the author's idea. Your approach is transferable in just about every other area of human life! The most sincere dealing with people and, of course, dealing with the project result. Respect, Sir!

I agree with some others here that (this is my opinion of course) this kind of thread topic is not really respectful towards Hans as a musician or human being. Neither is it constructive or helpful which (again in my mind) the 'vi control forum'-spirit should be about: to help each other as fellow musicians. I think people tend to forget that famous people are only humans too, with emotions, doubts etc like everyone else :).

Imagine that anyone would make such a thread about your music or your musical abilities and question its validity or its importance: for me personally, it would feel insulting and painful. Especially because I almost always tend to doubt the validity of every musical piece I write myself already :).

I personally believe (also my opinion of course) that everyone expresses his emotions musically in a different way, just like everyone is also different as a person, and everyone has the right to express their music in their way: there is no "right" or "better" way to make music in general or soundtracks. Complex orchestrations or 'realistic' orchestral works aren't more valuable in my book than a guy making really emotional music on 1 homemade string instrument recording it with a crappy smartphone mic for example. There are no "rules". These different musical expressions all have their own meaning, place and time in the musical world :).

And I won't get into defending Hans, because the man has proven himself a musical and auditory genius time and time again. His work speaks for itself. And his many helpful posts also show that he is an awesome nice guy. @Rctec thanks for sticking around this forum and giving advice to people, it's really awesome you're still doing this, even when threads like this are created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom