What's new

Is "Grand Toasty Hall" Air Studios?

robgb

I was young once
In his latest Albion One video, Spitfire's Oliver says that the reverb included with Albion is an IR of Air Studios. I know the library was recorded there, but he specifically says that's where the reverb is from as well. Is this true? The only hall IRs I see are "Grand Toasty Hall." No mention of Air. Anyone know?

OP
robgb

robgb

I was young once
It should be air's IR, but its in an encoded file so can't be used outside of Kontakt. That's how it is with LCO.
Sure, but you could conceivably open up ANY instrument in Kontakt, add a Convo Reverb and drag the IR into it. So you'd be using the AIR IR on all of your instruments. Not sure if that's covered by the license agreement, so maybe I'm just blowing smoke.

prodigalson

Maybe I'm dumb but what is the purpose of including an IR of AIR Lyndhurst for these instruments when they're already recorded at AIR Lyndhurst?

OP
robgb

robgb

I was young once
Maybe I'm dumb but what is the purpose of including an IR of AIR Lyndhurst for these instruments when they're already recorded at AIR Lyndhurst?
I assume that this would allow you to match the room if you want to add reverb. Like most Spitfire libraries, Albion One has a reverb slider on each instrument.

prodigalson

I assume that this would allow you to match the room if you want to add reverb. Like most Spitfire libraries, Albion One has a reverb slider on each instrument.
huh? why would you need to match the room if the samples were already recorded there?

OP
robgb

robgb

I was young once
huh? why would you need to match the room if the samples were already recorded there?
I would assume because you want MORE than what was actually recorded. I don't know. I'm only going by what Oliver said in the video.

At 4:50 he refers to reverb as 'the room tone' of Air studios but I don't think that is what it is or what he meant. I don't think it's an IR there either: SFA has talked about the reverb slider on other products videos and it's reverb, it's just Kontakt based, they've tweaked it to try and sound good etc. but AFAIK it's not an IR at all let alone Air. (Or maybe an IR from a reverb unit?)

Because it's Air you don't need another room sound on top, you're better served by an algo like Lexicon Random Hall or similar if you need something on top.

erica-grace

Thanks!

At 4:55 he says, exactly, "reverb it's clear, it's the room tone where it's recorded"

I don't think he means that there is an AIR ir in Kontakt that they captured. It sounds like he is just referring to the baked in reverb.

prodigalson

Thanks!

At 4:55 he says, exactly, "reverb it's clear, it's the room tone where it's recorded"

I don't think he means that there is an AIR ir in Kontakt that they captured. It sounds like he is just referring to the baked in reverb.
What do you think he meant by "room tone where it's recorded"?

Top Bottom