What's new

Is EWQLSO Platinum worth if it is $221?

FantasyCKL

I saw this at Time + Space. And with the loyalty point system, the price of EWQLSO Platinum will be $209. ( The price at EW website is $319 ) However, is it safe to buy product at Time + Space?

Besides, I initially don't want to buy it because people here said EWQLSO is a bit old and no true legato and it doesn't worth $319 with it's quality. ( I hear most of the demos which sound a bit weird and quirky especially the string, it sounds so cheap, like those free library from logic Pro X. ) But now it's ONLY $209, should I go for it?

Last edited:
For sure Time+Space is a very well known distributor/reseller.

You other question is a little more tricky. You see, the reply (and the question itself) is not "black or white". The truth is in the middle.

Also it's good to know more things about you. Is this your max budget? Will this be your first orchestral library? Are you planning to compose orchestral / classical music, or i.e. pop / rock?

For me getting the Platinum version with $210 is a very good price. The 3 microphones are very useful here, because the orchestra was recorded in a concert hall (so it obviously has natural reverb). I love this, but it's not for everyone. With the close mic, you can naturally reduce the amount of reverb, get a drier sound and mix it more easily with other music libraries.

Even if in the future you find yourself wanting true legato instruments for ultra realism, still EWQLSO offers a huge collection of instruments, i.e. a nice grand piano, a fantastic concert harp, a harpsichord, chamber strings, etc... Also the percussion is still very usable, both the melodic/tuned instruments and the untuned ones.

I would not buy EWQLSO today, even though the percussion and woodwinds still hold up very well. I paid approx. $4,300 for it when it first came out, so I've used it a lot!

If you're seeking a full orchestra, suggest the "Hollywood" series from East West, or perhaps Spitfire's BBC Orchestra.

For a first orchestra, you can't go wrong at that price. It does have a wet sound, but having a close mic option will help that. It sounds good right out of the digital box. I still used it.

EWQLSO still one of the perfect collection orchestra ,,all instrument from solo to ensemble Piano ,Harp ,Complete Orchestra Percussion , Solo String , Solo Brass , Solo wind ,more ,,,,Plus very good sound ,,EWQLSO Platinum $209 ?? Very Good Price ...

Last edited:
For sure Time+Space is a very well known distributor/reseller.

You other question is a little more tricky. You see, the reply (and the question itself) is not "black or white". The truth is in the middle.

Also it's good to know more things about you. Is this your max budget? Will this be your first orchestral library? Are you planning to compose orchestral / classical music, or i.e. pop / rock?

For me getting the Platinum version with $210 is a very good price. The 3 microphones are very useful here, because the orchestra was recorded in a concert hall (so it obviously has natural reverb). I love this, but it's not for everyone. With the close mic, you can naturally reduce the amount of reverb, get a drier sound and mix it more easily with other music libraries.

Even if in the future you find yourself wanting true legato instruments for ultra realism, still EWQLSO offers a huge collection of instruments, i.e. a nice grand piano, a fantastic concert harp, a harpsichord, chamber strings, etc... Also the percussion is still very usable, both the melodic/tuned instruments and the untuned ones.
yes, it will be my first library, and i want to write classical music for now. my budget for Orchestra VI is $400 max,so I think $210 is a nice option.

if i were you i would go with composer cloud and check both series out. maybe you dont like either, or maybe you just stay with the cloud and use both. composer cloud is the best option if you are starting out. BUT if i had to pick between ewqlso and hollywood orchestra it would be an easy choice. HO is still awesome and better imho.

It's a very old library as you certainly know, but it still sounds pretty great for general use IMO, even with it's many limitations by todays standards, and I still use a lot of the Percussion especially, most of that stuff still sounds very good, but Hollywood Orchestra Gold is currently selling for $266 at the East West website, so if you're set on buying a library, that would probably be a better choice, although it only has 1 mic position, and maybe slightly less variety of instruments, the samples do sound better and I think you can get a lot of mileage out of that if you're willing to learn it.

But as someone suggested before, the wisest option would probably be to try out the Composer Cloud first if you can, and get a taste of the instruments there and see if you like the sounds and workflow.

Sorry to fans -- EWQLSO definitely does not sound that great anymore. I love EW and have tons of their libraries. But it is goofy to use a library that came out in about 2004 in 2020.

Composer Cloud, as @MarcelM suggested, is a great idea. That way the OP can find out for himself what he likes.

The idea that beginners are "just fine" with an old, weaker library is completely bonkers, in my view. Hollywood Strings itself is 10 years old. Why go even further back?

if i were you i would go with composer cloud and check both series out. maybe you dont like either, or maybe you just stay with the cloud and use both. composer cloud is the best option if you are starting out. BUT if i had to pick between ewqlso and hollywood orchestra it would be an easy choice. HO is still awesome and better imho.
But subscription for a year ( $199 ) is the only option for composer cloud now. I think 3-6 months is long enough to test/try whether I like it or not. And only Gypsy is another VI that I want to test, so it's kind of waste of money for joining a year.

There are a few...(very few) EWQLSO patches that I still rely on.. some of the brass, percussion, and expressive string patches...

It's a legendary library, but... I have to agree with John, I don't think I can recommend it as a first library... especially with hollywood orchestra gold so close in price...

I still think EWQLSO can sound good however, I used a lot of EWQLSO brass (mixed with some newer libraries) in this mockup below...

Attachments

• SW Main Title mockup.mp3
    880.7 KB · Views: 46
I would purchase a newer library in lieu of investing time and effort in learning the workflow composers had in 2004 with EWQLSO.

Sonically, it is not outdated. It can sound great in the right hands. But the process you need to go through to get to a great sound is quite different in a library from 15 years ago than what it is using one released in the past couple of years. It's a steep learning curve that you will likely not be able to transfer somewhere else when switching to a more contemporary sample library.

You can probably do great things with it but why would you? Other things are better now, and some almost if not exactly as cheap when on sale. People who tell you "it still holds up well" but who cares? Unless you already have it, that is a moot point.

I would purchase a newer library in lieu of investing time and effort in learning the workflow composers had in 2004 with EWQLSO.

Sonically, it is not outdated. It can sound great in the right hands. But the process you need to go through to get to a great sound is quite different in a library from 15 years ago than what it is using one released in the past couple of years. It's a steep learning curve that you will likely not be able to transfer somewhere else when switching to a more contemporary sample library.
+1

It CAN still sound great. But, unless you've spent the last 15 years learning it why would anybody put in that time now.

OP, if this is the library you want to get because you love the sound and can't live without it then by all means. BUT.....if you're getting it just because you can get it for $200. That seems like the worst reason to get any library. Save a couple of hundred more and get a newer library.

As John G. stated Hollywood Orchestra though it comes with its own set of challenges would be a better investment and yield better results for you.

Last edited:
+1

It CAN still sound great. But, unless you've spent the last 15 years learning it why would anybody put in that time now.

OP, if this is the library you want to get because you love the sound and can't live without it then by all means. BUT.....if you're getting it just because you can get it for $200. That seems like the worst reason to get any library. Save a couple of hundred more and get a newer library.

As John G. stated Hollywood Orchestra though it comes with it's own set of challenges would be a better investment and yield better results for you.
right, I know HO is better, but it's tempting to get all including SOLO instruments with this price.( especially the harp sounds so good ). Except the String, others' sound are acceptable.

right, I know HO is better, but it's tempting to get all including SOLO instruments with this price.( especially the harp sounds so good ). Except the String, others' sound are acceptable.
If it helps these are the patches I still use.

All the Percussion
Harp
Celeste
3 Clarinet
3 Oboes
3 Flutes
Bass Clarinet
Tuba
Double Basses

(I still use the solo woodwinds, but it takes a lot to get them to work. I have them setup so I don't have to worry about them, but they sound terrible out of the box).

If that is worth $200 to you then go for it.

My answer would be definitely not. I used EWQLSO for at least 10 years; it was one of the few complete orchestral libraries out there when I bought it. Yeah, there's still some useable stuff, especially in the percussion. But the strings sound horribly outdated to me now (synthy and overpowered). Brass is also artificial sounding. As others have said, save your money and get something much, much better.

If you're on a tight budget, jump into the EW Composer Cloud. For about the same amount of money as this sale, you can get a year's access to the Hollywood Orchestra which is much more up to date, not to mention all the other stuff on there.

Last edited:
I agree with @JohnG here as well. I used it since it was released and costed me a fortune and it was splendid and good and still there are some gems in it, but if you want to enjoy your classical writing with some good sounds, I would just go for the Hollywood version to be honest. The Gold version is on sale for $266 and the diamond (would go for that) $372 - https://www.soundsonline.com/hollywood-orchestra

You will then have a really good collection of sounds to work with.

Good luck with the decision!

Top Bottom