What's new

Is Cakewalk really free? And is it good for newbies?

Cake is Great. The Forums are really great if you need help. I've made a very good living using it over the years. Like every DAW it has it's plus and minuses. Not Perfect, but it never has impeded me. Could use better notation, tempo functions. Cake has always had things belfore other DAWs (like 64 bit.) They are constantly updating and it is getting better all the time.

Cake is Great. The Forums are really great if you need help. I've made a very good living using it over the years. Like every DAW it has it's plus and minuses. Not Perfect, but it never has impeded me. Could use better notation, tempo functions. Cake has always had things belfore other DAWs (like 64 bit.) They are constantly updating and it is getting better all the time.
Twelve Tone was innovative. I used Cakewalk 5 for awhile before moving to Tracktion, and that was primarily due to cost (though I didn't miss anything, and Tracktion also had plenty of innovations others have copied), though there wasn't a free version of either, then. That said, Tracktion was handed out with some hardware purchases for several years.

Quick question about general concept as Cakewalk came back in my focus threw different aspects:

- do you have to route data from one track to another like in Cubase, Studio One and many other daw (so for example midi data on one channel, vst instrument on the other)
- or is it a "rack-concept" where it does not matter and you can simply throw midi-effects, vst-instruments, effects.... one after another on the same track and the routing goes automatically (like Waveform, Mulab,.....) ?

- do you have to route data from one track to another like in Cubase, Studio One and many other daw (so for example midi data on one channel, vst instrument on the other)
- or is it a "rack-concept" where it does not matter and you can simply throw midi-effects, vst-instruments, effects.... one after another on the same track and the routing goes automatically (like Waveform, Mulab,.....)
Don't know if I fully understand the question but see if this helps:

Three kinds of tracks in Cakewalk:
- Audio tracks
- Midi tracks (you can't put a typical audio VST like reverb or delay on a midi track)
- Instrument tracks, which is an audio track and a midi track combined into one and typically used for VSTs

The instrument track can be split at any point into it's separate midi/audio tracks as well.

So for example if I load Zebra I typically only have one track for it, an instrument track, with midi going to Zebra and audio coming back on the same track and I can add any VST FX to that track as well.

When I load Kontakt I will load it as the same instrument track but then I will typically split the instrument into audio/midi, and then duplicate the midi track a number of times. So for Kontakt I might have 8 tracks of midi going in but one track of audio coming out (if I don't need separate audio outputs).

Don't know if I fully understand the question but see if this helps:

Three kinds of tracks in Cakewalk:
- Audio tracks
- Midi tracks (you can't put a typical audio VST like reverb or delay on a midi track)
- Instrument tracks, which is an audio track and a midi track combined into one and typically used for VSTs

The instrument track can be split at any point into it's separate midi/audio tracks as well.

So for example if I load Zebra I typically only have one track for it, an instrument track, with midi going to Zebra and audio coming back on the same track and I can add any VST FX to that track as well.

When I load Kontakt I will load it as the same instrument track but then I will typically split the instrument into audio/midi, and then duplicate the midi track a number of times. So for Kontakt I might have 8 tracks of midi going in but one track of audio coming out (if I don't need separate audio outputs).
Thanks, that clears the main question for me, I can keep midi and vst to play the midi on one track ("instrument track" in cakewalk it seems), so no routing needed :thumbsup:

Top Bottom