IpMIDI + Waves Soundgrid + additional DAW...am I on to something here?

OP
S

Synetos

hi Synetos:

After running cubase(Digigrdi lv1), how much buffer is suitable for programming and large projects.
I have been at 256 and can't be lower anymore.
That kinda depends on you and your overall chain.

If I am running 96k, I can run with 256. But, when I am tracking live instruments or vocalists, I run as low as I can. When just mixing or using midi only, It doesnt matter so much.

So, unless you are overdubbing and playing in live via keyswitches, then you can run whatever latency level you can tolerate. I am okay up to 8-9ms, but after that, I dont like it.

DAMskill

You can use any ASIO interface. I used to use my RME Raydat. Install its driver like normal, but then choose Soundgrid Driver for ASIO audio in your DAW. You have to configure your interface in the soundgrid studio setup, and route the patching, etc.
I installed Soundgrid Studio on Windows 7. But it needs windows 10 to run.

DAMskill

usjjhhhbxedhQUOTE="Synetos, post: 4348322, member: 12403"]
So...I tried a "what-if" idea today and it is just tickling me how well it is working.

I have been using VEP for a while now, but I started to wonder if I really needed it. It is kinda clunky in my setup and doesn't do the audio inputs for offloading plugins as well as I would like.

In my VEP setup, I run a master and 2 slaves. It got me thinking, why cant i do what VEP is doing without using VEP?

Here is what I tried:

I have Cubase 10 on my main DAW and also on a slave machine. It could be Reaper or any DAW I want. I just happen to have 2 copies of Cubase 10 Pro.

• I setup Soundgrid on both machines and assigned 128 channels of audio to each machine and then "patched" them via SoundGrid Studio. Basically, audio I/O between the machines.
  • Then I installed ipMIDI on each computer and setup 20 midi ports (that provides me with 360 midi channels).
  • In my master DAW, I created a midi track and set the input to just be my A88 midi keyboard. I set the output to the 1 channel and port on ipMIDI. Basically, I play my keyboard and it now sends the midi data over the ipMidi connection to my slave.
  • On my slave, I setup a VST instrument and set the audio output to a stereo audio channel that is mapped to my main DAW via soundgrid studio
  • On the DAW master, I created an audio input using the connections from the slave.
  • I just play the midi keyboard, and I get the audio produced on the slave on the audio channel i created in my DAW.
  • I can now record the midi, play it back over ipMIDI connection to my slave and return the audio (even record it). No added latency! This is unreal!
  • I did the same thing using an audio effects send for a Reverb channel. No added latency!
Trying to offload CPU hog plugins into VEP has not worked very well. This might just be an awesome alternative.

This might be most useful for FX processing, and basically not needing a SoundGrid Server to offload plugins...and...not be limited to just soundgrid compatible plugs. I need to pound on it a bit more, but my initial results are very promising.

I actually think this might give me better workflow. Yes, I will be limited to 256 physical audio channels in Cubase, but that should be more than enough for what I am doing. Not doing mockups with 1000+ instruments. I suspect one could do this with any Audio over IP solution, Dante, etc.

I am curious if anyone else is doing something like this?
[/QUOTE]

Is it possible to send midi true the soungrid network?

Or else what are these new midi ports used for?

When i open my daw ableton live 10.
I see two new midi devices in the setup page.

One is called: StudioRack
I expect this to be the midi port to controle the eMotion st mixer?

The other one is called: SG Device I/O
I hoped this would be midi over the soundgrid network

Now comes the weard part.
When i send midi from one computer to the other...
No midi is received on none of the channels or midi ports

Audio works fine!
I wished i knew this some years ago.

I have a working setup with:
Soundgrid Studio 9.7.99.191 Build 102296
Soundgrid Driver 9.7.99.1159
eMotion St 9.7.99.185

OP
S

Synetos

Is it possible to send midi true the soungrid network?

Or else what are these new midi ports used for?

When i open my daw ableton live 10.
I see two new midi devices in the setup page.

One is called: StudioRack
I expect this to be the midi port to controle the eMotion st mixer?

The other one is called: SG Device I/O
I hoped this would be midi over the soundgrid network

Now comes the weard part.
When i send midi from one computer to the other...
No midi is received on none of the channels or midi ports

Audio works fine!
I wished i knew this some years ago.

I have a working setup with:
Soundgrid Studio 9.7.99.191 Build 102296
Soundgrid Driver 9.7.99.1159
eMotion St 9.7.99.185
No. Soundgrid Midi is just for soundgrid hardware. You need another way to send midi over ethernet, or midi devices. I used IPMidi. There are others out there.

BTW-I no longer use this method in my setup. With VEP 7 and running eMotion LV1, SuperRack, and a Waves Soundgrid Extreme server, I dont need to worry about it anymore