IPAD Pro vs Normal ?

ka00

The benchmarks has started to come in, and it's very close between air and pro, air even wins in single core and just behind in multicore. More RAM and slightly higher frequency on the screen update seem to be the only reason if you're not going for the bigger screen, which I'm not.
For screen size alone could be worth it. But it’s all relative. I also wonder if StaffPad (or any iOS app for that matter) are multi threaded, and if not, are single core figures all that matter unless you have other apps open and doing things in the background?

el-bo

The benchmarks has started to come in, and it's very close between air and pro, air even wins in single core and just behind in multicore. More RAM and slightly higher frequency on the screen update seem to be the only reason if you're not going for the bigger screen, which I'm not.
Anyone planning on activities that are pen-heavy, the Pro seems worth the extra dosh. The screen-refresh rate is apparently pretty noticeable, between the two. Also, the screen digitiser on the Pro used to be closer to the glass (Laminated to the pixels?), which apparently made for an even smoother experience. Not sure if the new Air model has that.

This is a good comparison, albeit with older materials:

erikradbo

For screen size alone could be worth it. But it’s all relative. I also wonder if StaffPad (or any iOS app for that matter) are multi threaded, and if not, are single core figures all that matter unless you have other apps open and doing things in the background?
Good point regarding multi threading. Weighs towards the air.
Anyone planning on activities that are pen-heavy, the Pro seems worth the extra dosh. The screen-refresh rate is apparently pretty noticeable, between the two. Also, the screen digitiser on the Pro used to be closer to the glass (Laminated to the pixels?), which apparently made for an even smoother experience. Not sure if the new Air model has that.

This is a good comparison, albeit with older materials:

aaand that makes pro the obvious choice. Seems like the pen handling is the key to happiness. Darn it. And the new pro is not until next year.

el-bo

aaand that makes pro the obvious choice. Seems like the pen handling is the key to happiness. Darn it. And the new pro is not until next year.
I'd imagine it's one of those situations where if your only experience was with a non-Pro model with a pen (v1), you'd think it was great. Ignorance is bliss, and all that. However, stepping back from a Pro and v2 pen would definitely feel like a downgrade.

Apple products still hold great resale value, so if you need it now you might find you're able to skip a cycle and still get a pretty good price for it. Just don't skimp on the protection ;)

erikradbo

I'd imagine it's one of those situations where if your only experience was with a non-Pro model with a pen (v1), you'd think it was great. Ignorance is bliss, and all that. However, stepping back from a Pro and v2 pen would definitely feel like a downgrade.

Apple products still hold great resale value, so if you need it now you might find you're able to skip a cycle and still get a pretty good price for it. Just don't skimp on the protection ;)
Possibly. But also so many people unhappy with staffpad handwriting, and I imagine the one thing that might make the difference is the update frequency.

erikradbo

Well...just tried the new air and pro side by side with pencil 2. SIGNIFICANT difference in the feel du to refresh rate. Pro the clear winner. Darn it.

el-bo

Well...just tried the new air and pro side by side with pencil 2. SIGNIFICANT difference in the feel du to refresh rate. Pro the clear winner. Darn it.
Nice!!

Of course, the billion dollar question (For me, anyway): Did you try the 'Air' first, to get a non-biased impression?

erikradbo

Nice!!

Of course, the billion dollar question (For me, anyway): Did you try the 'Air' first, to get a non-biased impression?
sure did. When it came to using the pencil, Air felt nice, but still as using a digital tool, and when switching to pro the responsiveness made it feel much closer to the real deal.

Of course the air isn’t bad. If the air had refresh rate of 36ms and pro was the one with 18ms I would have said that 18 was so much better. And that would also have been true. For the pencil usage that is, didn’t notice the difference otherwise.

but given the poll in another thread regarding handwriting frustration with staffpad I will not get the air. I will wait for the next pro, the current feels outdated now with processor benchmarks being so much better for the air.

Last edited:

Michael Antrum

Only the good die young....
The biggest thing for me was the paperlike matt screen protector thing.

The reisistance on the pencil made a big difference in wriitng. It really aided my pencil control, which makes for much better recognition. Absolute twat to fit it though.....

Oh, and you must get the Forscore App - I use it to keep all my sheet music, real books etc.... I actually use it to play from, and the pro version will allow you to turn pages by nodding !

J-M

A glorified bedroom composer...
Would you guys recommend getting a second hand iPad for Staffpad?

el-bo

sure did. When it came to using the pencil, Air felt nice, but still as using a digital tool, and when switching to pro the responsiveness made it feel much closer to the real deal.

Of course the air isn’t bad. If the air had refresh rate of 36ms and pro was the one with 18ms I would have said that 18 was so much better. And that would also have been true. For the pencil usage that is, didn’t notice the difference otherwise.

but given the poll in another thread regarding handwriting frustration with staffpad I will not get the air. I will wait for the next pro, the current feels outdated now with processor benchmarks being so much better for the air.

Ah, definitely a shame. Bit bizarre as they were really pushing the cheaper iPad for students as a digital workbook, a couple of years back. That model had the lower refresh rate, the non-laminated (to pixel) digitiser, and only supported the first iteration of the Pen.

I'm still curious to know if the difference is solely the refresh rate of the screen. I'd be very surprised if they upgraded the cheaper models to have the same digitiser arrangement. That difference clearly adds to the disconnect. I'd be curious to compare the two with the Pro set to refresh at 60hz. Might go and check on that, myself.

Not seen that poll. Will search for it.

erikradbo

I'm still curious to know if the difference is solely the refresh rate of the screen. I'd be very surprised if they upgraded the cheaper models to have the same digitiser arrangement. That difference clearly adds to the disconnect. I'd be curious to compare the two with the Pro set to refresh at 60hz. Might go and check on that, myself.

Yea, I think it's the same except for the refresh rate, but let us know. I'm currently hoping for new announcements regarding an LED-ipad pro this year, but seems like it might be longer...

erikradbo

Ah, definitely a shame. Bit bizarre as they were really pushing the cheaper iPad for students as a digital workbook, a couple of years back. That model had the lower refresh rate, the non-laminated (to pixel) digitiser, and only supported the first iteration of the Pen.

Did yo ever try it out?

el-bo

Did yo ever try it out?
Not yet. Actually, I'm watching from a distance. Don't have the money to buy one, at the moment. Even then, my failing laptop would have to take priority ;)

I did manage to find out that the new Air models do indeed have the same laminated-to-pixel digitiser. So that's a bonus.

I might actually walk to the store, now. Will see if they've managed to have at least one pen charged :whistling: