What's new

IPad Pro 11" vs 12.9" ... and getting warm with StaffPad?

Denkii

Maybe a strange question, but: How often do you compose on the couch, supporting the iPad with only your hand? I've got a 12.9" on order, but I'm afraid it's going to be too big. Everyone talks about the 12.9" iPad being great on a desk, but I'm trying to get away from my desk.
I use the 11" mobile almost exclusively.
Staffpad on the couch with headphones on while my partner watches a show I am not interested in, in the bed, sitting on a balcony chair in summer, in the kitchen.
I can also put it down on a table all serious.

I wouldn't want to use a 12.9 away from the table at all.
The 12.9 is annoying to hold in one hand. It is also annoying to deal with in bed.
It feels like a laptop that's missing a keyboard. If you get it with the magic keyboard it's actually just as heavy as a laptop. It just becomes a beast that I don't feel joy to use but I have to approach it from a very "time to work" like pov.

Symfoniq

I use the 11" mobile almost exclusively.
Staffpad on the couch with headphones on while my partner watches a show I am not interested in, in the bed, sitting on a balcony chair in summer, in the kitchen.
I can also put it down on a table all serious.

I wouldn't want to use a 12.9 away from the table at all.
The 12.9 is annoying to hold in one hand. It is also annoying to deal with in bed.
It feels like a laptop that's missing a keyboard. If you get it with the magic keyboard it's actually just as heavy as a laptop. It just becomes a beast that I don't feel joy to use but I have to approach it from a very "time to work" like pov.
Thanks. This is an extremely helpful answer, as it's basically my exact use case.

Dewdman42

I wish I could at least see a video of someone using Staffpad with an 11 inch iPad. Every single video I have seen online is using 12.9

Dewdman42

Thanks! that is encouraging then, that is a perfectly usable amount of space. I mean the 12.9 is absolutely great to use sitting on a stand on my desk, don't get me wrong, but I could definitely still use the 11" just fine I think...and would just be more conducive to taking it to Starbucks or sitting on the couch.

Or maybe I should get one of those couch pillow stands. ;)

One thing I do like about the 12.9 is the prospect of putting all my current piano sheet music in it, but the more I think about it, I want sheet music that is even bigger then then 12.9...hehe.

OP
borisb2

borisb2

but the more I think about it, I want sheet music that is even bigger then then 12.9...hehe.
Exactly .. if I want sheet-music (from a StaffPad piece) I print it directly through StaffPad pdf-export. There are some options to customize the page (size etc)

Dewdman42

Sure. I was meaning more to use my iPad to hold all my current piano sheet music that I am practicing... nothing related to StaffPad. 11 is definitely too small for this old man. But 12.9 is borderline in many cases also.

Dewdman42

has anyone tried screen mirroring their staffpad session to a larger desktop monitor for getting large score overview there or something along those lines?

OP
borisb2

borisb2

Unrelated to the original post, my jaw is *dropped* at those pieces from jdr! I feel like a monkey with a stolen hammer compared to that use of the same tools. Wow.
yeah .. these pieces are really really nice .. I once chatted with him about his composing process .. a very humble and nice guy as well!

rsg22

Stays perfectly on your legs when you're lying in bed.
Can also be used as a stand.
The corners where the iPad pro sits are not too high so they don't overlap the screen.
This thing is a winner for me!
I picked this up and it changed my life, thanks for the recommendation! With the 12.9" Pro I could only comfortably work at a table or desk until now.

Last edited:

Denkii

Glad to hear it works for you and the 12.9".
I wasn't sure if it's good for the 12.9" because I only use it with the 11".
It's stupid how much quality of life this simple thing gives you, right? :2thumbs:

Top Bottom