What's new

Introducing TransMIDIfier - v2.0 Beta 1 available!

bwherry

(Jun 8, 2013 edit - v2.0 Beta 1 available, go here)

Hi all,

I wanted to take this opportunity to formally announce an application I've been working on here and there for the past several months. It's called TransMIDIfier. It's not a sample library, and it doesn't make any sound - not directly, anyway. TransMIDIfier is a standalone application for Windows and Mac OS X that does some very handy things with MIDI.

Key Features:
- Switch among instrument patches from a single MIDI track via keyswitches or program changes, regardless of sample player.
- Selectively combine multiple, arbitrary instrument patches from different manufacturers to create powerful new sounds.
- Apply transformations to MIDI data to customize instrument behavior and performance.

Following the old Hollywood adage of "show, don't tell" I've made this intro video to explain what it does and to walk through a few examples:

Note: 1080p and full-screen playback is highly recommended!

I started development on TransMIDIfier back in the spring of 2012. At the time I could switch among different instrument articulations from a single MIDI track for some instruments, but not others. I also wanted to be able to combine multiple instruments/articulations together, selectively and arbitrarily. The answer was simple: completely decouple the MIDI track from any specific output port/channel. Instead allow any MIDI track to output to any available MIDI port/channel on-the-fly, with the output redirection being done by either keyswitches or program changes. (the YouTube video covers all of this, but I figure it's worth repeating here for those that prefer to read rather than watch) While I had this "middle man" achieving the MIDI output decoupling, it then became possible to do some other nice things, like remap controller values, transpose notes, adjust velocity curves, ignore controllers, delay output by a certain number of milliseconds, etc. This is what TransMIDIfier is all about. I've found it hugely helpful and some of you might as well...

Oh, and it's FREE.

...although you're more than welcome to make a donation if it ends up being something you can't live without. :D

Screen shot: https://www.bewaryprods.com/softwar...creenshots/TransMIDIfier_1.5.6_screenshot.png

Download it here: https://www.bewaryprods.com/software/products/TransMIDIfier/

Give it a shot!

Brian

ps- One thing you'll likely need to be able to get TransMIDIfier to work for you (if you don't have it already) is some kind of "virtual MIDI patch cable" solution. This enables MIDI to be sent from one application to another on the same computer. Mac users can configure this using the built-in IAC Driver. Windows users have plenty of options, including MIDI Over LAN (ports in "local pipe" mode), loopMIDI, MIDI Yoke, Maple MIDI, etc. I did a little write-up on how to setup TransMIDIfier w/ Cubase and VEPro a little while back, which some of you might find helpful. Check that out here: https://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtop ... 55#3648555

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Introducing TransMIDIfier

Very interesting! I was really surprised to see it is free as well. Great work, Brian.

Hi Brian,

thanks a lot - I'll give it a shot!
And I like your ambition a lot, must have been a lot of work. So I sent a donation.

Cheers,

Winslow

Hi Brian,

Just watched the video, looks like a really powerful & useful tool. I can foresee lots of possibilities, the first one being having a sort of universal map whereas legato in all the different libraries will always be the same cc.

I'll be downloading and donating, but I encourage to start you own company, or maybe contact VSL. They might be interested in buying the technology from you.

o-[][]-o

Brian, how are you doing?

Congrats, that sounds like a very useful piece of software!
Way to go!

PS: Have a wonderful Christmas!

Wouldn't it be great if you could call up an app on the ipad that was able to control all this?Even better if there were named keys for the Program changes(context based)

I've gone to great lengths to have key switches in Lemur/Osculator to do something similar to what you have.....but I find your app really hits the mark here in reducing the number of tracks one would have in the daw.

I'd love to see the ability to control all this from the ipad....

Hey Brian...

Thanks a lot for this little gem. But what I want to say more urgently: I immediately looked if the music at the end of the demo video were available on CD because this is the music I like to listen to. Quite saddening that it is "only" music for film..;) I am an "ear" man, not an "eye"man......
Very sweet music indeed

Hi Brian, amazing tool by the looks of it! Just wondering how one goes about setting it up between a DAW and VE Pro 5? Is there a certain order you have to open each program? Does the DAW still have to connect to a VE Pro Server Instance? Or are we just meant to open up a standalone version of VE Pro and then connect DAW to a virtual MIDI patch cable program, which we then connect to TransMIDIfier, then connect that to VE Pro 5?

Would appreciate it if you could explain the workflow a bit more. I've downloaded it but can't get it all hooked up properly. I'm using Pro Tools 10, loopMIDI, and VE Pro 5.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the kind words. I hope you all find it as useful as I have!

dgburns, you should totally be able to get an iPad to control this - all you need is to have the iPad be able to send program changes to your sequencer. Surely there's an iPad app that enables you to put text labels on buttons that will send out different program changes, no? If not I'll write one. ;)

Sid Francis, I'm glad you like the music. Turns out you're in luck - the track I used in the video is "The Screen Is Blue Again" and you can download an MP3 of it here: https://www.brianwherry.com/projects/TheEndAgain/ :)

jamesavery, when using VEPro instances inside the sequencer, the setup w/ TransMIDIfier gets a little bit more complicated, as you need to send MIDI from the tracks to TransMIDIfier, then send it back to the sequencer for the modified MIDI to be sent along to the instrument instances. I did a little how-to for this scenario a little while back, but using Cubase, not Pro Tools. Check it out here: https://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtop ... 55#3648555 (that example uses MIDIoverLAN pipes, but it's the same idea with loopMIDI) The one issue I know of in trying to do that with Pro Tools is that MIDI tracks in Pro Tools can't be set to input monitoring (AFAIK), so the VEPro "pass-throughs" won't work. (unless those tracks get record armed, but that's not really feasible) I still use Pro Tools for sequencing sometimes, but I use VEPro on my sampler machine standalone (MIDI via MIDIoverLAN, audio back over ADAT optical) so I don't have this specific issue. Maybe MIDI tracks in Pro Tools 11 will have input monitoring? Any chance you've got Cubase? ;)

Justus, doing great, thanks! You have a wonderful Christmas as well!

Brian

"dgburns, you should totally be able to get an iPad to control this - all you need is to have the iPad be able to send program changes to your sequencer. Surely there's an iPad app that enables you to put text labels on buttons that will send out different program changes, no? If not I'll write one. "

Ya know,dgburns sounds so...I dunno...anyway,call me David.

I posted a screen shot of one "interface" in my lemur template.The templates in Lemur have a set memory,and you can hit the ceiling if you have too many interfaces(pages),and it's overall not as flexible as your app would be anyway.
The third drop down menu is open,so you can see the different intruments you can choose,in my set.I have menus for all the EW stuff.All in one interface,but it takes some button pushing to get around.

no...I was more interested in seeing if an app could have "smart" labels,where the names changed in a contextual way,otherwise you might need quite a lot of menus,and it's not efficient to be scripting that way anyway,so I'm told.

david

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-18 at 8.18.29 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-18 at 8.18.29 PM.png
    29 KB · Views: 4,967

Hey David,

I know this doesn't exactly address your issue with the Lemur templates having memory limitations, etc. - but one of the cool things you can do with TransMIDIfier is make all of your different articulations live in the same "slots" for all instruments. I've attached a photo of some of the program change buttons on my non-touchscreen, low-tech MIDI controller. "SUS" (PC#1) switches to sustain for all instruments - strings, brass, and woodwinds. Same with LEG (PC#2), STAC/SUS (PC#3), etc. The "TREM" (PC#5) button does tremolo on strings, but flutter tongue on brass. And so on. If you were to do this you probably wouldn't need a separate page for every instrument anymore - instead you could have one for strings and one for brass & woodwinds, for instance.

By making all the articulations live in the same program change/keyswitch slots you not only have a simpler setup on the touchscreen, but you also have the ability to, for instance, copy a part on the first violins to the trumpets - and all the articulation changes "work." Something to consider...

HTH,

Brian

Attachments

• prog_changes.jpg
    prog_changes.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 4,936

Yeah,I was afraid you'd come up with a solution...now I have to justify all that bloody time I spent in Lemur and Osculator.

I really like the idea of aggregating the control set.This wasn't possible before your app...unless of course you have an inhouse software dude(like some shops that are,cough cough,in the Santa Monica area)

guess I know what I'll be doing over the holidays.templates again...boo...

While I'm thinking of it,you should try and license this into Logic before the next release.It really should be in the daw,or maybe a controller plugin...just a thought.

Anyway,really super app.I'm glad I glanced over the forum.This will change the way I work.

David

Yeah,I was afraid you'd come up with a solution...now I have to justify all that bloody time I spent in Lemur and Osculator.

Hahah! Sorry 'bout that. :wink:

I really like the idea of aggregating the control set.This wasn't possible before your app...unless of course you have an inhouse software dude(like some shops that are,cough cough,in the Santa Monica area)

Yeah, there are quite a few nice things that are now possible... I'm still figuring out all the ways I want to use the thing and I wrote it! :)

guess I know what I'll be doing over the holidays.templates again...boo...

While I'm thinking of it,you should try and license this into Logic before the next release.It really should be in the daw,or maybe a controller plugin...just a thought.

Yeah, some folks have asked that it be a VST or AU plug-in, but for maximum power (ability to target any MIDI port/channel at any time) it either needs to be built into the sequencer/DAW or be a standalone app (as it is now).

Anyway,really super app.I'm glad I glanced over the forum.This will change the way I work.

That's great, glad to hear it! It's done the same for me. :)

Brian

Brian, this is brilliant!
Great work.
It seems to have a bit of a learning curve, but layout is clear and the possibilities endless.
Thank you so much for your generosity and creativity!
=o

Top Bottom