What's new

Introducing Red Room Audio and the "Palette" Orchestral Series, plus a freebie!

Wow! That's how you make an entrance! Love how this is broken up into their respective libraries. Looks/sounds wonderful!!

Over-traffic is always exciting :) We've been working on it round the clock. Sometimes things work just great in beta and buckle under the load in real-time. But it'll get fixed ASAP.

That aside, I'm very excited to see this project come to fruition! We've been sharing our talent and tech (such as TACT/Total Articulation Control Technology) to help power Palette as well as future instruments.

Everything sounds great, except the choir and the harp. The chamber sizes as well as the tremolo/flutter controller are fantastic ideas. The violins of the first pack are particularly smooth, and the third pack seems to be that all in one tool for runs and arps we have all been missing. Too bad I do my sketching on piano and already have ensembles for glue-layering, for it would have been handy for both.

Ah sorry for the disappointment :/ I am not convinced by the glissandi and pedal controlling with black keys seems a bit complex. On the other hand, the individual notes have a nice tone.

Ah sorry for the disappointment :/ I am not convinced by the glissandi and pedal controlling with black keys seems a bit complex. On the other hand, the individual notes have a nice tone.

Pedal control via black keys is one way to do it (I saw that method done in Pianoteq's harp model and just had to snag it! :)). You can set your scales manually via GUI (those 7 switches are not just non-interactive visualisations, they are actual sliders you can tweak) instead of black keys, then save them as one of 14 presets, then access those presets with C#/D# across those 7 octaves (or automate/MIDI learn the Preset knob). OR, you can automate/MIDI learn the pedal sliders themselves on the GUI and not use the black keys at all. There is more than one way to skin the cat, as I like to say :)

As for glissando, there are no special samples for that, just automated note playback... basically pressing keys in between the start and end of the keyrange you played, instead of you. You can still not use the glissando/bisbigliando functionality and just play that yourself, locked to scale - it will be harp-correct, any scale you choose actually uses the 7 pedals mechanism in the back end. In case of playing glissandi yourself, I recommend enabling Fixed Velocity mode, and using modwheel to control the actual velocities that will be played. See if you can get better results that way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough answer, didn't catch the scale automation thing! Yes indeed, the glissandi are less convincing than prerecorded ones. A possibility among others for the next brushes ;)

Obviously recorded glissandi would be the most realistic, but they would also be severely limiting in what you can actually do with them... For sketching purposes I think it's much more improtant to get the idea out of your head, so instead of going through a bunch of prerecorded runs, you actually play one. It might not be 100% realistic as a recorded one, but it gets the idea across, which is what sketching is about, yeah? :)

Another tip, when playing glissandi, try to tweak the envelope a bit, add some Attack time to it (say, 50-100 ms), to smear the initial transients.

Last edited:
Hi there, i've watched all the videos : very (very) smart instruments ! :) (that tremolo/flautando controller !!! Sample start/stop points ! ! ...)
But, no intro price on the brushes ? Only on the main library ?

Hi, congrats for the good work... everything seems "neat and well organized" ! No bundle ?

There is bundle pricing - basically 5% off for each additional library you add to your cart. There's also 25% off for students.

More info in their FAQ section.

600x400-palette-bundles.png

I love the inclusion of using CC2 to dial in tremolo on the strings.
Should be a string library standard.

It also does flutter tongue on brass! ;)

CC4 for vibrato might be a weird one, but that CC is by General MIDI supposed to be "foot controller", so, a second one, after Expression. Some boards, like Kurzweil PC3/K, have two continuous pedal inputs, and by default they are assigned to CC11 and CC4. I have a PC3K8, and two CC pedals connected to it, so I went with that implementation :)

It definitely works towards making the patches more inspiring to play, rather than triggering keyswitches for those particular articulations.

Two questions:

1. Any plans to sell via resellers? Impact Soundworks are available at Best Service and Time & Space among others (which helps me as prices are in £).

2. How long is intro price up for?

Two questions:

1. Any plans to sell via resellers? Impact Soundworks are available at Best Service and Time & Space among others (which helps me as prices are in £).

2. How long is intro price up for?

Hi procreative. We don't have plans to use resellers right now but it's not out of the question down the road. We have already been approached by a few. The Symphonic Sketchpad intro price will be good through December 31st. Hope this helps! Now back to unborking our website...

Last edited:
Hi procreative. We don't have plans to use resellers right now but it's not out of the question and we have already been approached by a few. The Symphonic Sketchpad intro price will be good through December 31st. Hope this helps! Now back to unborking our website...
I wish I had this five years ago. Offering these libraries as separate products is a superb idea. I don't think the value for the money can be beat. I only wish I had some money left this season! Pallete Brush Pack 01 - Melodics looks and sounds insanely useful.

Top Bottom