What's new

Introducing MixBox - All the FX you need in one rack

You cannot combine JamPoints and coupon codes, this information is available on our JamPoints page on the IK site.

Sorry that 99.99 isn't low enough for some but I'd like to dispel some incorrect information - MixBox is not just a reskin of plugins you have in T-RackS, AmpliTube, and/or SampleTank. There are four completely new reverbs and other modules not available elsewhere, plus the new features like wet/dry, sidechaining, instant recall of racks, etc.

You cannot combine JamPoints and coupon codes, this information is available on our JamPoints page on the IK site.

Sorry that 99.99 isn't low enough for some but I'd like to dispel some incorrect information - MixBox is not just a reskin of plugins you have in T-RackS, AmpliTube, and/or SampleTank. There are four completely new reverbs and other modules not available elsewhere, plus the new features like wet/dry, sidechaining, instant recall of racks, etc.

I mean no disrespect nor do I mean to be condescending when I say any of this at all, as I too am planning to purchase Mixbox myself as I absolutely love the look of it, and the streamlined workflow along with the 70 modules included as this truly is a game changer! However I have also noticed that others have also raised and said exactly the same on the Gearslutz forum as they have here on VI, so it cannot be a coincidence that others are also saying the same too? Maybe this is because there is not enough demos of it on YouTube right now, however there will be a live TechTalks on it tomorrow so that may help to clear things up in defence of Mixbox, I am hoping additional modules will be added such as a Gater along with the Sunset Sound Studio Reverb for example.

Last edited:
To be clear, I also did not mean any disrespect. I just still have some questions. Like, what if I go all in. And then a new reverb or some cool distortion emulation will be released for T-RackS AND Mixbox. I now have to buy the same thing twice?
I mean going forward and something like SSSR would be released on both “platforms”, how would that work out for owners of both T-RackS AND Mixbox? Those are serious considerations - that need to be adressed upfront for me to be able to make the right judgement / decisions. Because if I have to pay twice, I may get Mixbox and abandon T-RackS.

What makes it compelling to have both?

If there are different design philosophies behind each “platform” and the answer is going to be “each has its own sets of benefits, drawbacks and specific use cases” I am afraid this move will introduce confusion and “FOMO” for me. I definitely will not pay twice for what still amounts to dozens of duplicate fx, into the future, without a lot more clarity from you guys.

Whereas I would be willing to pay for the extra functionality Mixbox brings, but again, NOT for duplicate fx “algorithms” that will get a release on both TR and MB going forward.

Last edited:
There is enough overlap that that price is too high. For $49 I would probably grab it for the couple little extras and nice UI, but...more than that is just too much.

ps - I have gotten sucked into feeding the IK marketing machine with a LOT of Amplitube and T-Racks gear purchases over the years. I see no logic or reason whatsoever that would convince me that IK will add more FX to this package without expecting money in return for it.

ps - I have gotten sucked into feeding the IK marketing machine with a LOT of Amplitube and T-Racks gear purchases over the years. I see no logic or reason whatsoever that would convince me that IK will add more FX to this package without expecting money in return for it.
Me neither. And of course I get that their excellent fx cost money. But they want me to invest in something new. So, entice me! I like what I see. But.... I already have T-RackS. Will every new effect now basically be available for both? Will Mixbox eventually replace T-RackS? What’s the grand plan.

the grand plan is to extract money from our pockets. hehe.

Anyway, MixBox is definitely cool, but IK has made a reputation for themselves over decades of all kinds of marketing mumbo jumbo with gear credits, jam points, humongous sales with prices slashed beyond belief on a regular basis, use group buy opportunities, etc.. That is what they have always done and that is what they will continue to do. They make some great products, I own most of them! MixBox is a pretty cool product too I might add, its just that the price they want is kind of high for what it is. If you already own a lot of their stuff, it has a huge amount of overlap. But if you don't own all their stuff, let's say this is the first IK purchase you've ever made, $149 is still kind of a lot for what it is, not to mention the $199 retail price they will want for it.

Most of us have all this FX ground well covered by so many other products from IK and from other places. I mean, GuitarRig alone pretty much has all these effects. Just one example. I have reverbs, filters and modulators coming out my ears...I don't need to pay $99 for a few more from IK just because of the MixBox eye candy...

It is more than eye candy. I can keep saying it or perhaps if you think you might still be interested you should demo it. Sorry to sound exasperated but I understand if it isn't for you but it seems to be a lot of conjecture and less actually trying it that is happening. That's fine if you don't like what you see or hear from the available materials but if you feel it deserves a chance then please just download the demo and decide for yourself. There are things that are not in T-RackS, AmpliTube, or SampleTank plus features and benefits of a product that is completely different than any of those as well. Some of you may benefit from that, some may not.

You can try it via IK Product Manager or click the button on the MixBox page

I've been using the demo, its not conjecture. stand by everything I said. sorry if you don't like the criticism peter. I have already acknowledged that there are a few new things. perhaps you should acknowledge that there is 80% overlap with existing products.

If you feel it is asking too much for what it is, please note that someone on another forum did do the math:

Let's do the math since no one has:

$200/70 = $2.85 per plugin
$149 = $2.12 per plugin
$99 = $1.41 per plugin

So even if you owned *every* plugin in MIXBOX, you're paying $1.41 each for an upgrade to workflow. The best part is? You don't *have* to. No one is forcing you to up/crossgrade. So you're not "repaying" for anything unless of course you originally spent $1.41 per plugin... Then yes, you are repaying for them.

And the differences in features, workflow, etc for "effects they already had" (but cannot be used in exactly the same way in most cases) worked very well for them:

I demoed MixBox last night and the workflow is fantastic. I was able to work really fast and the variety of sound on offer is great. IK make killer stuff. My most used plugins are Tapes and Saturator X.

Is it worth $199/$149/$99? Absolutely it is. The new reverbs are really nice and much better than the old CSR.

I've been using the demo, its not conjecture. stand by everything I said. sorry if you don't like the criticism peter.
It's not that I don't like it, it is applying "this is too much to ask for it" (see the math above) and still thinking things like it is just the same thing you can get with what you already have (also not true, there's great new stuff - also the SampleTank 4 effects are available there, not in a rack and without a lot of the new features here, etc) and applying your opinion as what might be interpreted as presenting it as objective and universal fact is kind of what I don't really like. Sorry.

Edit - and if I was only referring to you I would have quoted your post which I did not. But please do know the "you" in my posts, including where I did quote you above, still is not specifically you. There's a lot of conjecture going on here, regardless.

and there comes the mighty IK marketing math.. heheheh. yes that is my opinion. Priced too high. Otherwise I would probably get it for the reasons already given.

As I posted earlier, being a T-Racks Max owner, the $99 price doesn't work for me. However, I will say that thanks to IK's amazingly generous group buys, I have acquired LOTS of IK plugins over the years for what works out to be about $10 per plugin. So taking the long view, $99 for Mixbox isn't that painful a pill to swallow.

But still... I'm having trouble justifying it to myself, and am going to pass.

sooner or later it will be possible to get it in a group buy or something....no worries. hehe. I feel like I've seen Amplitube go on sale for under $50 occasionally.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I went ahead and downloaded the demo and have been trying it out, playing it through my guitar and all I can I say is...Wow! I am absolutely in love with it!? It is a completely different beast to that of T-Racks and is no way the same at all, to my ears it breathes and lives, the sound is so pristine and so versatile too! I love the amp section of the plugin, the amps are extremely dynamic and responsive. I love everything about it, so I went ahead an purchased it for the crossgrade price. It's worth every penny, and look forward to future updates. What I can't figure out is where are the 600 presets it mentions? Thank you IK Multimedia, an excellent product yet again and one that I will most definitely be using for sure as my go to for mixing and effects!

Top Bottom