INTRODUCING Century Brass 2.0 Available Now!

Oxytoxine

The New Century Ensemble Brass Trumpets

OVERVIEW
  • 3 Player Trombone Ensemble

Maybe its precisely this type of sloppiness / oversights that sometimes also finds its way into the construction of some of 8dios libraries and is responsible for some of the mentioned oversights / hassles?

The balancing act between creative chaos, riding the wave, doing many things at the same time and fast, being innovative etc. and, on the opposite end of the spectrum, being very detail oriented, precise, consistent etc. is small.

It’s a pity, because the things they do well, they do extremely well.

There is a lot to love in Century Brass 2 and also Century Strings. The sound is stellar!

Last edited:

Gerbil

I overlay patches for more trad marcato patches, just like in the olden days. For instance, for the solo horn I use the decca and wide mics and twin the marcato short attack patch with the sustain on another channel. Turn the sustains down a bit and dial down the low freq on the eq. Set the release samples to around 10 o'clock and put a lex hall verb on it (not the marc patch). Get the dynamics balanced and it plays as well as CSB. I nearly always roll my sleeves up with 8dio and Spitfire libraries to get what I want from them. One reason I'm hoping they don't end up locking everything away in their own romplers.

Anyway, great update guys. The arcs just make me grin everytime. So expressive. And I love the mic choices and hall sound.

Gerbil

) Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top, can we have a "copy mixer/fx settings" button to more easily copy/paste settings between instances? This would be a huge help when using the standalone artic patches, especially.
Definitely would be a useful feature.

Don't know if you've tried this but I have all the mixer controls mapped to my midi controller (a BCF2k) and record enable all the relevant tracks once I've decided so that they all move to the same settings at once.

zimm83

Sounds really beautiful. Congratulations to 8dio for making POLYPHONIC LEGATO on every new library. This is a game changer. Can't wait for Century Strings 2.0. !!!!

ProfoundSilence

I nearly always roll my sleeves up with 8dio and Spitfire libraries to get what I want from them. One reason I'm hoping they don't end up locking everything away in their own romplers.
Yeah, that's one of my issues - especially since some developers don't consider things like niente or volume scaling might not be something that everyone wants.

Personally, my favorite when it comes to this is cinebrass, as a lot of their libraries have a dynamic range slider. orchestral tools has it too - but cinebrass normalizes their samples I think, so you can essentially have "negative" dynamic range, where it's just a change in timbre at somewhat equal volume.

AllanH

After a couple of hours with Century Brass 2 (both ensemble and solo) I have to say that I really like the upgrade. Everything sounds clearer, loads quicker, and the two mixes are both good and (I feel) "better" than the original centered mix.

Interestingly, I think the low brass sound much better with the B mix. It's almost as if the A mix had a HP filter on that took out some of the low-end oomph. This is especially obvious with the shorts.

With the noted exceptions, I went with Mix A, as I already had a hall reverb on my track and Mix A sounded better in that context.

After a couple of hours with Century Brass 2 (both ensemble and solo) I have to say that I really like the upgrade. Everything sounds clearer, loads quicker, and the two mixes are both good and (I feel) "better" than the original centered mix.

Interestingly, I think the low brass sound much better with the B mix. It's almost as if the A mix had a HP filter on that took out some of the low-end oomph. This is especially obvious with the shorts.

With the noted exceptions, I went with Mix A, as I already had a hall reverb on my track and Mix A sounded better in that context.
That sounds promising. Can't wait to test the update.

I haven't gotten around to playing a single note today because I'm reorganizing my libraries.
Copying terabytes of samples back and forth is one of the most tedious jobs I like the least.

To my surprise, I have freed up some memory that I can refill if I ever, emphasis on if, buy something again. :whistling:

Craig Sharmat

I have a suggestion...It would be very cool since you now have poly legato to make multi's using them as full single channel sections, also for Century Strings and then for those who have both you can have a great unison orch (of course no winds yet). Colin is probably going....Thanks Craig...8-L.

Zero&One

Quick question, the pricing seems to be cheaper if buying individual. Am I missing something?
Ensemble Brass is $198
3 individual are $184 ($68+$68+$48)

Eptesicus

Quick question, the pricing seems to be cheaper if buying individual. Am I missing something?
Ensemble Brass is $198
3 individual are $184 ($68+$68+$48)
Lol you are correct.

However, do you get the LITE version with the ensemble set (as that is $48)?

If not, then that is really stupid.

Eptesicus

So for clarity from people who have the update, what has been adjusted in terms of the shorts/arcs and their release?

Which articuilations and which instruments still use the speed knob?

jaketanner

I just purchased the upgrade to 2.0, and received 4 emails...which email am I using? They're split into ensemble + lite, then just ensemble, then just lite...etc....I have the bundle, so it's the bundle + lite if I want it right?

Also, is it a brand new install, or am I installing just the files and NOT the content again...confused, sorry.

Thanks for the help

jon wayne

I just purchased the upgrade to 2.0, and received 4 emails...which email am I using? They're split into ensemble + lite, then just ensemble, then just lite...etc....I have the bundle, so it's the bundle + lite if I want it right?

Also, is it a brand new install, or am I installing just the files and NOT the content again...confused, sorry.

Thanks for the help
It was a little confusing. There is a download for each and then a download for all 3. If you choose the all 3 option, be prepared for a several hour wait. I would look carefully at the emails and do them one at a time.

jaketanner

It was a little confusing. There is a download for each and then a download for all 3. If you choose the all 3 option, be prepared for a several hour wait. I would look carefully at the emails and do them one at a time.
But why should I download all the samples again? Isn’t it a software/scripting update?

jbuhler

If you choose all three they still come packaged separately so you can pause the download of one or two of the libraries while one downloads. The solo and regular ensemble libraries took forever to unpack. One was still going after 90 minutes when I finally just let it go overnight. I did wake up to everything successfully unpacked.