INTRODUCING Century Brass 2.0 Available Now!

Dementum

I just checked with Tyler on live chat, I have the bundle - a full redownload and install of the product and it's not backwards compatible with any of your older projects so you'll need the older version still if you've used it on projects.
Thats what I feared. But I guess some more background work went into it as they say that the load time went down.

Manuel Stumpf

So far I have only downloaded the new Brass Ensemble Lite.
Here the Marcato and Soaring articulations are not one shots anymore. If you release the note early it goes over into a release tail.
What I have noticed: if you hold the note long enough and release it while the release tail is already playing, then the note is cut off. But I think one can easily get used to that.
With the releases like this you can finally play something in with these articulations :)

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
So far I have only downloaded the new Brass Ensemble Lite.
Here the Marcato and Soaring articulations are not one shots anymore. If you release the note early it goes over into a release tail.
What I have noticed: if you hold the note long enough and release it while the release tail is already playing, then the note is cut off. But I think one can easily get used to that.
With the releases like this you can finally play something in with these articulations :)
Great to hear, thanks!

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
Alright, I've installed the update and have been exploring it a bit. Some comments and critiques:

1) The arc legato patches are very fun to play with, I can see myself getting some good use out of these! Very easy and satisfying. The new mixes are nice as well.

2) I wish this update hadn't thrown the baby out with the bathwater when it came to some of 1.0's less-popular aspects. I'd really like to see 1.0's centered stereo mixes make a return as a Mix C option for use in pop arrangements, and it'd also be nice to see the speed-knob versions of Marc Short and Soaring artics return as an alternate option, since they did yield different results than the release-trigger versions.

3) The Lite Ensemble version has its Crescendo Sfz artic end on note release, but the Crescendo and Sfz artics in the individual instrument patches don't do this. Seems like an oversight? It'd be useful to have them end on note release, just for easier control over timing. Is there any way

4) Marc Short ends on note release, but Marcato has no early-release end or speed control option. I see it was the same way in 1.0 as well. Early-release behavior would be much appreciated on this, or a time-machine control or something.

5) I can't tell if load times have changed much, even comparing back and forth with 1.0 I'm getting enough random variation that it's hard to say. Neither seems particularly slow to me, though they're not exactly instantaneous.

6) Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top, can we have a "copy mixer/fx settings" button to more easily copy/paste settings between instances? This would be a huge help when using the standalone artic patches, especially.

7) Tempo sync on double/triple tongues would be good... I see the speed knob is doing something to them, but it seems subtle.

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
The website has some issues, yeah... a lot of the product pages are linking to the wrong videos, with the description saying one thing but the linked video being a different one. I checked 8dio's Youtube page to find the videos I was actually looking for.

jon wayne

Looks like Century 2.0 just went live. FYI , If you own the bundle of ensembles and solos you will get 3 codes to upgrade. You only need to use the $28 upgrade code to get the bundle which also includes Century Brass Lite , bonus :thumbsup:.
There is an option to use 1 code to DL, if you are a previous bundle owner.

alchemist

3) The Lite Ensemble version has its Crescendo Sfz artic end on note release, but the Crescendo and Sfz artics in the individual instrument patches don't do this.

4) Marc Short ends on note release, but Marcato has no early-release end or speed control option.
You’re kidding.. disappointing to hear. One shots shouldn’t be acceptable in 2020 lol it’s not a percussion library

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
Found a bug that was missed in the update: The flugelhorn's Crescendo Long artic plays the same samples as its Crescendo Sfz artic. This was bugged in 1.0 as well.

edit: This affects both the main instrument patch and the separate artic patch.

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
Huh... so the 2.0 solo brass patches are still using the speed knob for Marc Short artics? I can't say I understand why the inconsistency there, with the ensembles having release triggers and the solo instruments not.

:S

alchemist

Huh... so the 2.0 solo brass patches are still using the speed knob for Marc Short artics?
I'm still downloading but that is upsetting to hear. As much as I adore the sustains and arcs, the short articulations and one shot nature samples of Century Brass and Strings have been a headache to work with, was hoping for this update to sort those out and get them somewhere at least in the same universe as working with CSS / CSB. There goes the "Effortless and playable beyond words" claim. The legato yes, amazing, but no library has given me as much trouble in writing simple sequences of shorts as century.

Had parked Century Brass waiting for this update because brass writing relies so much on going between different lengths of shorts.. was way too time consuming to work with that speed knob to get the length just right and line up with where you want it.

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
What confuses me most is why ensemble instruments use release triggers but solo instruments still use the speed knob. That lack of consistency in approach is going to be a pain when combining those two sets of instruments together for rhythmic parts.

Hoping that this will be addressed in a minor update, it feels like an oversight...

axb312

Alright, I've installed the update and have been exploring it a bit. Some comments and critiques:

1) The arc legato patches are very fun to play with, I can see myself getting some good use out of these! Very easy and satisfying. The new mixes are nice as well.

2) I wish this update hadn't thrown the baby out with the bathwater when it came to some of 1.0's less-popular aspects. I'd really like to see 1.0's centered stereo mixes make a return as a Mix C option for use in pop arrangements, and it'd also be nice to see the speed-knob versions of Marc Short and Soaring artics return as an alternate option, since they did yield different results than the release-trigger versions.

3) The Lite Ensemble version has its Crescendo Sfz artic end on note release, but the Crescendo and Sfz artics in the individual instrument patches don't do this. Seems like an oversight? It'd be useful to have them end on note release, just for easier control over timing. Is there any way

4) Marc Short ends on note release, but Marcato has no early-release end or speed control option. I see it was the same way in 1.0 as well. Early-release behavior would be much appreciated on this, or a time-machine control or something.

5) I can't tell if load times have changed much, even comparing back and forth with 1.0 I'm getting enough random variation that it's hard to say. Neither seems particularly slow to me, though they're not exactly instantaneous.

6) Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top, can we have a "copy mixer/fx settings" button to more easily copy/paste settings between instances? This would be a huge help when using the standalone artic patches, especially.

7) Tempo sync on double/triple tongues would be good... I see the speed knob is doing something to them, but it seems subtle.
Can't understand point 4.

Eptesicus

I really dont understand why a developer would go to all this trouble to release a PAID update and not change the most important and asked for feature (ie releases on all the marc/arcs). It sounds like they have only done it for some arts and only in the ensembles?

To have that difference (speed knob for solo and release triggers for the ensemble) just makes using the libraries together unworkable.

Baffling.

Olfirf

What confuses me most is why ensemble instruments use release triggers but solo instruments still use the speed knob. That lack of consistency in approach is going to be a pain when combining those two sets of instruments together for rhythmic parts.

Hoping that this will be addressed in a minor update, it feels like an oversight...
Ok, that was what I was afraid of ... the Solo brass is actually the more important to me. If that has not been updated with releases, I see no reason to update. I am gonna hold off and hope others do the same.

Last edited: