What's new

INTRODUCING Albion NEO. The next chapter in our bestselling Albion series.

You can get the Air Hall sound but unlike SCS and SSO you have to turn up the Tree Ambient and Outrigger mic mixes to achieve it. They must have changed something when they recorded Neo: mic choices, preamps, desks... Neo is much more versatile than other Air Studios Hall recordings, which I think is a good thing since it can be blended with libraries recorded at Spitfire HQ and Studio One at Air much more easily.

Yeah I agree, the way the close perspective is done it feels more like OACE also ( although that is still my favourite engineered Spitfire recording )

looks like there is acoustic treatment within the space, even if its the type used for separation it will prob have an effect. The close perspectives look like a mixture of 414s, Coles and maybe M149s?

I think I may have seen a pic somewhere with the lyndhurst ceiling acoustic treatment lowered more than usual for this session which might also account for more control blending in ambients

One should never post in a grumpy mood, but as these are my honest feelings and thoughts at the moment, I will still give my impressions of my first 2 days with Neo.

I find the strings to be lovely. Somewhat more intimate, precise and clear than e.g. Chamber strings. As mentioned above, they perfectly fit both smaller and larger rooms, just with microphone settings it’s easy to blend them with Air studio, Lyndhurst, and basically any other library I tried, which is great!

Brass and Woodwinds – I will never use them and wonder in which scenario one could use them. But of course, this is a matter of taste. For mine, a very strange choice, even considering that it’s a special niche. What I do not find a matter of taste is that more “conventional” brass and woodwinds articulations and, as mentioned above, the possibility to access the diverse instrument sections individually, would have catapulted the usefulness into a new dimension. And man, the Bacon à I sincerely wonder how this could pass QC?

Some of the Brunel loops perfectly fit my style, and I will use them for downbeat ambient / triphop tracks. But in the end, it’s just a very limited number of stems, which basically require arranging a collage of sample loops like in the old days with Magix music maker or so. I feel like time traveling using those. But it’s still nice to have them, because they offer a nice blend of the world of pristine acoustic / orchestral and more modern, electronic / hybrid samples.

Stephensons Steam Band – I understand the intent, as they write in the description: “In keeping with the NEO soundscape, the aim was to extract and enhance the emotion from every sound, taking them to new, warped dimensions.” But for me, this does not work out, I must be missing something crucial here. Maybe this is appealing to guys coming from strictly an orchestral composing / classical music background which for the first time in their life have some synthesizer sounds available and think “oh wow how cool, so that’s the world of synthesizers, now I have arrived in modern times”. There are a gazillion soft and hardware synths and samplers available that are infinitely more capable, broader in scope and allow for much more creativity in mangling orchestral samples. For someone used to using synths, samplers etc. it’s like a bad joke.

The same goes for the Segla Textures. Some are indeed really, really beautiful. But some of the stuff? Ouch. Again: just throw some original orchestral samples into e.g. a granular or whatever synthesis engine, and you have a gazillion of much more unique, creative, musically useful etc. possibilities and results. It’s my first eDNA engine instrument, but it really seems to be extremely limited and / or I seem to really oversee something very obvious and do not get the point.

So, in summary I’ve learnt: Albions are not for me, but despite the negative points above, I do not regret buying Neo, because first there really are some gems in it, and second, one learns from experience, and I would always have been thinking that other producers / composers using the Albions have kind of a magic secret weapon in their sleeves :)

P.S. As this is my first (and last) Albion, it was of course my mistake that I did not research these things beforehand (I was just focused on the orchestral side), and I am just sharing my initial impressions. I should also have added “in my opinion / perception” to every sentence, of course.

One should never post in a grumpy mood, but as these are my honest feelings and thoughts at the moment, I will still give my impressions of my first 2 days with Neo.

I find the strings to be lovely. Somewhat more intimate, precise and clear than e.g. Chamber strings. As mentioned above, they perfectly fit both smaller and larger rooms, just with microphone settings it’s easy to blend them with Air studio, Lyndhurst, and basically any other library I tried, which is great!

Brass and Woodwinds – I will never use them and wonder in which scenario one could use them. But of course, this is a matter of taste. For mine, a very strange choice, even considering that it’s a special niche. What I do not find a matter of taste is that more “conventional” brass and woodwinds articulations and, as mentioned above, the possibility to access the diverse instrument sections individually, would have catapulted the usefulness into a new dimension. And man, the Bacon à I sincerely wonder how this could pass QC?

Some of the Brunel loops perfectly fit my style, and I will use them for downbeat ambient / triphop tracks. But in the end, it’s just a very limited number of stems, which basically require arranging a collage of sample loops like in the old days with Magix music maker or so. I feel like time traveling using those. But it’s still nice to have them, because they offer a nice blend of the world of pristine acoustic / orchestral and more modern, electronic / hybrid samples.

Stephensons Steam Band – I understand the intent, as they write in the description: “In keeping with the NEO soundscape, the aim was to extract and enhance the emotion from every sound, taking them to new, warped dimensions.” But for me, this does not work out, I must be missing something crucial here. Maybe this is appealing to guys coming from strictly an orchestral composing / classical music background which for the first time in their life have some synthesizer sounds available and think “oh wow how cool, so that’s the world of synthesizers, now I have arrived in modern times”. There are a gazillion soft and hardware synths and samplers available that are infinitely more capable, broader in scope and allow for much more creativity in mangling orchestral samples. For someone used to using synths, samplers etc. it’s like a bad joke.

The same goes for the Segla Textures. Some are indeed really, really beautiful. But some of the stuff? Ouch. Again: just throw some original orchestral samples into e.g. a granular or whatever synthesis engine, and you have a gazillion of much more unique, creative, musically useful etc. possibilities and results. It’s my first eDNA engine instrument, but it really seems to be extremely limited and / or I seem to really oversee something very obvious and do not get the point.

So, in summary I’ve learnt: Albions are not for me, but despite the negative points above, I do not regret buying Neo, because first there really are some gems in it, and second, one learns from experience, and I would always have been thinking that other producers / composers using the Albions have kind of a magic secret weapon in their sleeves :)

P.S. As this is my first (and last) Albion, it was of course my mistake that I did not research these things beforehand (I was just focused on the orchestral side), and I am just sharing my initial impressions. I should also have added “in my opinion / perception” to every sentence, of course.
I don’t think your response to the various parts of an Albion is unusual. I find the Brunel loops perplexing in every one of the Albions. The steam band always sound neat and I enjoy playing around with them but I rarely know how to incorporate them into what I do and I have other synths that do it better. I like the Segla idea just because it offers a way to quickly morph two patches from library. Other Albions also offer this to an extent in the steam band development kits but it’s nice to have it broken out and I see the EDNA presets in Segla less as patches to use (though some of them are very nice) than as examples of the kinds of morphing and warping you can do.

As for the orchestral instruments, this is what I’m primarily getting the libraries for. Initially I got Albions because they allowed me to sketch quickly, and to move from that to finished piece quickly. Loegria added a smaller string section, Iceni a louder layer and more bottom end, etc. they were each useful both in sketching and could be carried through to a final piece if needed.

With Tundra that changed. At least in terms of how I understand the libraries. Tundra is in some ways closer to OACE or BDT or Orchestral Swarm in the way it offers new dimensions to an orchestral sound and that can’t be replaced by other libraries with more detail (a point made by @ism). I suppose there is a parallel here with Iceni, which is designed for supplementation of both Albion One and SSO. But Iceni is less a library that stands on its own than is Tundra.

Neo does double duty: it has aspects of Tundra and can stand on its own though it can also be used to sketch in the manner of Albion One. The brass and winds for instance have nice shorts that allow it to sound like a very credible theater orchestra playing tutti. If you use only one of the string ensembles you can also get that thin, distinctively underpowered string sound characteristic of the small theater orchestra. In general, notwithstanding some issues with the winds (tuning, bacon fry) and brass (unbalanced ensemble sound, sloppy attacks on low dynamic longs) Neo can serve as a minimal patch sketching tool for a smaller, softer orchestra much as One serves as a minimal patch sketching tool for the larger, louder orchestra. In this respect it is a good complement to someone who uses Albion One a lot and wants to complement that with a smaller ensemble sound.

But I don't think that is Neo's primary focus. Its strings have a lot more to offer and they are the main reason I got it. And as with Tundra these are not really designed to be replaced but to be supplemented by or to supplement other libraries much as you might do with OACE. The winds and brass have a few articulations that fit into this framework as well, but they are fewer in number and so I don't know if they provide enough variety that they will be generally useful. (I also have a harder time using the winds in brass in Tundra.)

Very interesting to read both of your analyses on where Neo fits into the whole Albion spectrum!

Both of you have a much longer experience and more knowledge to share than I do, both with regard to composing with different libraries in general and also specifically to the Albions. I can totally understand and appreciate your points, and it was by no means my intention to generally "diss" the Albion line. Rather just a short rambling of my first impressions as a first time Albion and Neo user. I also completely get that all the walkthroughs etc. represent a rather clear picture of what is in the box :thumbsup:

I was well informed from walkthroughs, demos and your kind help upthread (this forum and you guys are really fantastic and helpful!) about the orchestral part, but do readily admit to have just blindly jumped in, full of excitement, for the other parts. I did by no means intend do complain that my expectations were not fulfilled or so, it was more in the sense of the meta level / almost philosophical discussion about the "nature" or "intent" of this packages that are the Albions.

Last edited:
Free world, free speech. No two people have the same sensibilities about everything in life. I don’t even think I love or like or dislike or hate something or someone in a constant sterile fixed test environment. What mood someone is in may dramatically change their own perspective about the same thing or product or person. I don’t think I have ever loved anything in a perpetual state of the same degree. Humans are constantly in a state of flux, chaos, and variable levels of consciousness and awareness let alone our subjective natures are not gauged to some sterile scale. Who knows how any of us can grade one’s level of attention or appreciation from one infinite moment to the next.

One mans trash is another mans treasure...

One mans treasure is another mans trash....

Music and art is subjective...

One mans trash is another mans treasure...

One mans treasure is another mans trash....

Music and art is subjective...

You social constructivist / postmodernist! As a natural scientist I insist that there exists only one objective reality!

(hope the joking is obvious -this topic always is good for hard fights between the staff of different disciplines / departments in our institution :) )

You social constructivist / postmodernist! As a natural scientist I insist that there exists only one objective reality!

(hope the joking is obvious -this topic always is good for hard fights between the staff of different disciplines / departments in our institution :) )

And putting on my hardest-of-hard-science theoretical physicist hat for a moment - longing for objective reality, not so unlike voting for Margret Thatcher, has always struck me a kind of nostalgia for the 1860s. :)

The next chapter ... Maybe not?

Behind the title, I want to share my comments with NEO.
For long hours on Saturday, Digital Audio Workstation open, I explored a good part of these resources with the firm intention of taking notes, saving modified presets.
I failed ! Why ? Because I read the chapter all at once as if it were caught up in the discoveries and the immense possibilities of mixing and stacking sounds.
I leave this trip with 2/3 creative ideas and it is always my goal.
I am very satisfied with the time spent with NEO writing this new chapter together ...

PS: it's not at all rational and I assume it
See you

Who says politics ever changes? The republicans were using the same arguments to attract voters in the late 1800s as they do today. Nothing changes yet no one really knows what’s unfolding at the present. Politicians have always been largely corrupt and owned by big business and the billionaires who own them. Democracy is a ruse, it’s fool’s gold. Government, the court system, the constitution and banking is all about protecting the property rights of the Uber wealthiest class. Always was, always will be. Richest person in late 18th century Revolutionary States: George Washington. I’m not dissing Washington, but America was and is all about wealth, power and money 💰. The real American Exceptionaism is the way we delude ourselves with all kinds of notions of fantasy ie. All men are created equal, for starters....

There's an argument in this ... but it misses the capacity for real change. And forgets all the genuine forces for change in America - trade unionists, suffragettes, civil rights activists ...

We see the same arguments for music - there's nothing new under the sun. It's all recycled and rehashed. Which very often it is.

But this also forgets the genuine human capacity for How Newness Enters the World.

So too for sample libraries. A lot of the debate here is: is Neo this really anything new? It just more of the same as Tundra vs no it's just more of the same as BDT vs. "all you sul tastes sound the same to me". Which for some is no doubt true.

But I certainly hear something wholly new.

Waking with a clear head is new for an alcoholic who stops drinking...

Waking with a clear head is nothing new for the non drinker....

:2thumbs:

I'm looking for a library which I can use to underscore piano compositions, and also for making ambient electronic tracks. I've seen the walkthroughs but i'm still not completely convinced.
So this is a question for the Neo owners. Would this Albion be good for those purposes?

Most listeners will not be able to tell the difference between Neo and other libraries, so how could Neo be new to them if they can’t tell the difference from something not new?

It is completely unimportant whether most listeners can "tell" the difference.

I *only* care about whether they will be able to *feel* the difference.

And all newness has some kind of anchor to something that came before.

The nature of metaphor itself (which by some account is the mechanism of all new human though) inherently relies on simultaneous sameness and difference. The classical example is "Achilles is a Lion", which hinges on both the similarity of the quality of Achillies and the qualities of Lions, but also the juxtaposing of the difference. Because Achillies isn't actually a Lion. Yet the metaphor works to introduce a concept into the world precicely but the simultaneous invocation of sameness and difference.

So too with the Neo - new, yet with points of contiguity to Tundra, SCS, OACE, Logeria etc.

Last edited:
I love Spitfire and their sound anf have many of their libraries such as SCS, SSS, BDT, LCO, SSW, SSB, Albion etc...But what I call "new" is for example 8Dio's poly-arc patches. They really have an impact on realism and sound. If you play and programme it well, it sounds ultimately realistic, good and different...
So according to me, with this approach there is nothing new in Neo. It is just a new library but not a game changer...not a new chapter.

Ok, so I’m not sure if this has already been covered in the thread and apologies if it has.

But how similar is this to Albion 2?

I have the original and I’m wondering if this library is worth it if you already have the first one?

I get a pretty good discount for Neo (almost half price) and I do like Tundra and LCO strings (which seem to be of a similar ilk) but at the same time I can’t help wondering...

I’ve heard Daniel James did a comparison video but can’t seem to find it anywhere (and I think he’s banned from talking about Spitfire in these forums)...

Just to point out that this is *categorically* untrue. Bearing in mind we've published information and photos about the sessions, the band size is different, the recording layout and mics are different, the musicians were different, I could publish invoices from Air Studios and the orchestral contractor showing the sessions, and so on.

Loegria (Albion 2) was recorded in 2012, 8 years ago. It was released on 30th August 2012.

Bearing in mind I published a 30 minute walkthrough in huge detail of the orchestral part of the library, and also bearing in mind the two examples posted actually sound quite different.....

Top Bottom