What's new

Intel nightmare

All Intel CPUs since Pentium I have the Meltdown exploit, and all CPUs are also susceptible to Spectre exploit. Pretty much everyone is affected in some way.

If you have all the latest W10 updates, you have the patch already.

I read an article on Anandtech and from I understood, a "hack" (at this point) would be a "read only" intrusion. Which certainly doesn't make it any better since lots of us have banking/financial info on our machines but it does seem to give me some direction on pro active safeguards I can do (increasing security to sensitive sites).
But I'm certainly no expert and many of you guys seem to understand this stuff on a much deeper level than me.
Check it out and see what you think.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12214/understanding-meltdown-and-spectre

If you have all the latest W10 updates, you have the patch already.
I'm not sure. What about BIOS patches, which are where the performance hit seems to be occurring? There appears to be some confusion about whether Windows update includes them.

I hear that BIOS patches for old Motherboards will not get any update, don't know how true this will be, i have an old I7 3930k with an x79 that works perfect for slave, so as i understand, old CPU - Motherboard combos users.... we are screwed?.

If your computer isn't internet-connected or if it has nothing on it but sample libraries, I don't think these exploits seem like any issue.

Most of mine fit both criteria -- they have no financial or other sensitive information on them so there's really no reason to update Windows and thereby suffer the performance hit.

However, this episode seems like another good reason not to let one's computer remember any passwords to banking or credit card info.

Exactly, I do not think there is any reason to patch a system that only runs Cubase or professional audio that always is offline, also I think this "nightmare" was known for a year, if someone had extracted critical information on any of my systems, I would have known.

We will see how this situation evolves in the whole context in the following months.

Here’s more great news if the last “help/update” didn’t get your panties in a knot.

https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00088&languageid=en-fr

I see absolutely no reason to keep letting Intel scare anyone into “upgrading” even more.
I’ve use Haswell 4790s and Broadwell 5775/1275 v6 CPUs for years, just last year bought 4 new 4790s I liked them so much.

Now Intel claims if you just let them into your PC (again) your life will be better.
Screw them, I never once during a performance had a crash in 12 years I’ve been using PCs.
One time, my fault, bad air flow design, 110 degree/100% humidity outdoor festival.

Don’t let these clowns trick you into their planned obsolescence.
Their CPUs are great.
Seems Micro$oft wants everyone in their Cloud.

Get off my Lawn....

This is not planned obsolence, Jim. This is an exploit of how CPUs prefetch data and their speculative execution, basically how they were created to work as fast as they do. Spectre exploit doesn't impact just Intels, this is not Intel's "masterplan scheme" or anything.

The initial fix Intel did causes random reboots on Broadwell and Haswell platforms. They have now identified the cause and will produce further fixes, which is an entirely sane thing to do, nothing wrong with that. And again, absolutely nothing to do with planned obsolence. More like increasing security. But if your computer is not online, of course you don't need to care as much.

Only if you are clinically paranoid. These exploits do exist, but they are quite hard to actually execute them remotely. Easiest way would be through web browsers using JavaScript, but browsers have been patched for that already (make sure you use the latest version of your browser).

Well I’ve seen these boys in action for over 20 years now.
They can write all of the white papers and hold seminars all they want.
Micro$oft & Inr€£ set the pace for Memory manufacturers, Motherboards, etc. etc.

I’m keeping my “defective” CPUs and they can sucker 16 Core X series or whatever next months chipset is for others to buy.

I did enjoy upgrading to Scope 7 and Native Access though.
As for the rest of these schmucks Ill check em out in 4 more years after an EMP strike maybe...

Of course I am. The point is you and I understand the underlying issues aren’t problematic to us, we read and understand what’s being discussed.
People who don’t look into the matter but keep seeing how they’re System is prone to security issues will stop after the second sentence and start looking at a new system.
We’ve had far worse scenarios than these last 2 recent ones but suddenly these are hyped up and I don’t know a single person who has any problems with their PC.
Micro$oft is still looking at a large % of users not using 8.1 or 10.
Their goal is to get everyone in a Cloud.
They collaborate with Intel and others on many levels.
Intel trying to keep market share has struck deals with AMD to use Vega GFX, AMDs top iGPU guy has been hired by Intel and their first CPU looks great.

I’m simply saying the rest of the world doesn’t analyze issues as you and I would.
A few headlines and their ready for a new OS or a new smart phone laptop or PC.

Quick update from the Mac side of things. The updates today for Sierra included the fixes for Spectre & Meltdown. From some immediate testing with Logic Pro before and after I'm not seeing any significant (or indeed any) performance impacts. So far so good...

Quick update from the Mac side of things. The updates today for Sierra included the fixes for Spectre & Meltdown. From some immediate testing with Logic Pro before and after I'm not seeing any significant (or indeed any) performance impacts. So far so good...
Good news, thanks for posting. What kind of mac are you using?

Top Bottom