What's new

Intel nightmare

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
W10 is actually on the rise and W7 is on the decline...

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide

8.1 is of course not going to rise, why would anyone want to use it :D

Because it works, doesn’t have nagware, has best parts of 7, lots of reasons.
I’m still reluctant to change over my 1U 8.1.

I see no reason to fix something that works great...

Maybe after I watch 10, and Intel some more.

It’s basically if you wish to stay current, work online, etc.
I like being behind the times.
Spend more time making music as opposed to “Fixing” things...

Quasar

Doesn't it seem a little unethical to sell computers, ipads, and phones with vulnerable cpu's.
It's impossible to imagine that a profit-motivated capitalist marketplace would ever engage in unethical conduct just to make money. How could you even think such a thing?

miket

On a mid-2011 iMac, El Capitan, and I'm pretty sure I got the update today. Not noticing anything, so far.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
I did the “Fix” and noticed nothing.
But thought all of my new upgrades in software and hardware were responsible 4 lower CPU usage.
Maybe so but I’ve been read how single core performance in Cinebench jumped 6% on many review forums.
Lost points on multi thread.
So if others who need single core for core locked synths and even other apps we must have lucky.

Kony

Bad ape
Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm curious about the Intel CPU hit - reason being I'm considering putting my DAW online again for BF (it's been offline since before the Meltdown/Spectre patches were released).

Apparently Intel CPUs had a 15-20% hit in performance according to this article. Can anyone confirm?

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Not on audio apps brotha’ Man Kony.
I’ve got several machines all on Windows 10 now and not once have I seen any issues.
I use Avast Premier when I go online.
I just re install, clean everything up, download new Samples then take it off again.
It’s nagware is bothersome and I’ve got several of their apps running at once during house cleaning and upgrades.

Kony

Bad ape
Not on audio apps brotha’ Man Kony.
I’ve got several machines all on Windows 10 now and not once have I seen any issues.
I use Avast Premier when I go online.
I just re install, clean everything up, download new Samples then take it off again.
It’s nagware is bothersome and I’ve got several of their apps running at once during house cleaning and upgrades.
Thanks for the feedback - are you running everything on one PC though? I am and just a bit worried it'll be an obvious 20% performance hit from using just the one PC as opposed to multiple PCs running in sync.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Thanks for the feedback - are you running everything on one PC though? I am and just a bit worried it'll be an obvious 20% performance hit from using just the one PC as opposed to multiple PCs running in sync.
I run everything on a single PC but I have cloned spares, Rehearsal PCs and experimental Benching PCs, although I haven’t tested much since the i7 4790k CPUs.

I uninstall everything other than audio when I go offline.
Windows 10 still has an attitude with offline machines.
First I have to connect the LAN twice to wake it up for service, then you can see where it throws in some files to the start menu most likely for usage data, then I check for updates, reset the time for updates to occur and everything seems fine after that little tantrum.

I still think this whole SPECTRE thing is a crock of shit.
I find it hard to believe this was recently discovered and never seen before or noticed by giants like Int€£ and Micro$oft.

Try it and see what happens. I’ve just never noticed any difference though and my machines have had the same workloads for the last 5/6 years.
Even when switching from 7 to 8.1 and then 10 after the dust settled I never noticed anything.

Top Bottom