Install AU only? Or AU and VST?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Levon, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Levon

Levon Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Hello,
    I've just made the switch from PC to Mac. I'll be setting up my new iMac and installing my various Sample libs over the next few days. One question that I have is do I need to install both VST and AU versions of the Sample libs OR are the AU versions all I need? I plan to use Logic as my main DAW, although I do have Studio One and Cubase that I may use from time to time.
    Cheers,
    Levon

Wally Garten and puremusic like this.
  2. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Logic can not use the VST's, but Cubase can not use the AU's. Just install them both.

3. VinRice

VinRice ... i am a robot ...

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    Install them all, you never know when you might switch or have to use ProTools or whatever.

4. charlieclouser

charlieclouser Senior Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Another reason to install the VST's is if you use VEPro - you can instantiate the VST versions inside VEPro and then if you at some point want to use those VEPro metaframes (or whatever they're called) on a PC slave you can copy them over and they will load, whereas if you had created VEPro templates that call for the AU version of Kontakt they won't load on a PC slave. So using VST's inside VEPro is a way to make your VEPro setups somewhat transportable.

unclecheeks, Dewdman42 and EgM like this.
  5. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
    Just like @charlieclouser mentioned, if you use Cubase (Or anything else that isn't Logic) you can load your project files using the same plugins on a Windows machine with no changes using vst versions of the plugins!

6. AmbientMile

AmbientMile Member

Oct 24, 2014
    SoCal
    I always installed both even though I've been Logic only for years. Just got a Maschine Jam and it can use both so I'm glad to have the VSTs installed as well.