What's new

InstaChord - Brilliant Little Piece of Software - On Sale $14.90

OP
robgb

robgb

I was young once
Nice! So what part does InstaChord play in that? Hard to tell what the program did as it looks like you just played all the notes? I don't know the program so I'm not sure what I just watched ;)
Watch the bottom keyboard. That's what I'm ACTUALLY playing. The top keyboard is what the result is. You use a lefthand key to change chords, and your right hand plays in the same place. You can also do automatic strums, etc.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Running Win10 Pro / Reaper v 5.79 and doesn't make any difference here, where InstaChord Output is set.
Input is 'All MIDI' and Send is to Omnisphere (which is obviously my sound source). Omnisphere2 Track Input is MIDI and Record Output is Stereo. Records and Playback is normal.
This is really the only way I know to set it up in Reaper so that it records the ouput keys (top keyboard) rather than the input keys (bottom keyboard). If anyone knows of another way, please let me know. Oh, and pardon the slow playing, my screen capture audio was lagging badly and I didn't bother to adjust it.

Oh Yeah ! my bad, as I was just focusing on @ Mornats 'Recording' word. Duuuhhhh … sure, Output: MIDI to Record: 'MIDI' :sleep: I was concerned he could not Record 'any' Output. o_O

Dewdman42

Here are some more tools I have been following, to monkey around with chords...

There's probably some more I'm forgetting. For me personally, I find them to get in the way of what my own mind and inspiration wants to do, but they are all interesting tools to experiment with

Mornats

This is really the only way I know to set it up in Reaper so that it records the ouput keys (top keyboard) rather than the input keys (bottom keyboard). If anyone knows of another way, please let me know. Oh, and pardon the slow playing, my screen capture audio was lagging badly and I didn't bother to adjust it.

Thanks a million Rob, that sorted me out! This makes it a much more valuable tool for me now. I can have it sit on one track and just feed midi to other vst instrument tracks. And now that it's recording the output I can go and tweak it and overdub it where necessary. :)

Sopranos

Are there any suggestions of pulling a melody out of chord progressions? Do the melodies all stay within the scale?

R. Soul

I've looked at pretty much all the suggestions in this thread, and finally had a look at the chord function of my Komplete S61.
Although some of these are really quite advanced, I can't believe not a single one offers what I want - an option to pick a scale and get suggestions covering perhaps 2 octaves of 7th, add9, sus4 chords, which I can trigger and come up with my own chord progression. :unsure:

elpedro

Here are some more tools I have been following, to monkey around with chords...

There's probably some more I'm forgetting. For me personally, I find them to get in the way of what my own mind and inspiration wants to do, but they are all interesting tools to experiment with
Scaler from pluginboutique is pretty interesting too....https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/72-Utility/3933-Scaler

Dewdman42

yep mentioned above in the thread already a lot, I didn't want to repeat...there are a few others also mentioned earlier in the thread

elpedro

My need to learn justifies cost of ALL of these …. given benefits posted above. Already got InstaChord and Obelisk was next.

I'm a bit concerned if Sundog ( per @ aaronventure ) is much easier to learn /use than Scaler.
From seeing his post, can you add any comment in terms of ease-of-use ?
I have both Sundog and Scaler, and prefer scaler as it is more flexible for finding chord substitution (modal interchange) and also finding the right inversions to get voice-leading right is so easy.Both are good utilities though.

VinRice

... i am a robot ...
For Logic users Sundog has the advantage of connecting via the IAC driver which means you get the actual output notes rather than the input notes that MIDI effects record - or you can just drag & drop the notes. I've got them all and with all these things there has to be a balance between between complexity/functionality and speed of use, otherwise you might as well just do it by hand.

The more theory you understand the more useful these applications become. Sundog has become my favourite - great for quickly generating string ostinati in violins with chords in violas and bass line in cellos/basses even though the app seems to be targeted at bedroom EDM producers. Hundreds of exotic scales and arpeggio patterns included.

OP
robgb

robgb

I was young once
For Logic users Sundog has the advantage of connecting via the IAC driver which means you get the actual output notes rather than the input notes that MIDI effects record - or you can just drag & drop the notes.
Instachord is doing the same thing in Reaper, so I imagine it would in Logic or any other DAW as well. Might depend on the DAW, however, because it took me awhile to sort it out in Reaper, and I needed to use a special setting to make it record the output (see video above).

Dewdman42

Depends on the DAW. In LPX the midi signal path is such that the midi plugin slot is AFTER the point where midi is recorded to a region. Then during playback, the region data is sent through the midi plugin slots before hitting the instrument slot. It would be nice if LPX provided a way to insert midi plugins in the midi signal path before recording to the region, but they don't. Anyone reading this, please submit feature request.

So in LPX this is often the issue with creative midi plugins, that IAC must be used to send the output from the plugin out and and around and back into LPX to record to region. Sundog is not a plugin, so its a bit simpler, you don't have to do the "out and around" part. on the other hand, if it were a plugin then it would sync with the host better and save with the project.

TigerTheFrog

Amphibiousician
FYI, there have been a few free upgrades to Instachord since April. The latest is version 1.20, which came out on October 10th.

Details on the new features in the upgrades can be found HERE

I bought Instachord on Plugin Boutique, and I downloaded 1.20 through my account.

bonebones

Scaler has had an update since, 1.5 is really useful with new Guitar Fretboard, ARP, STRUM, chord editing features and lots of new sounds and chord sets, also being able to set parallel harmony and go up a scale non-diatonically is really useful. See this video:

Fleer

Feeding the Trolls
Instachord is $9.87 now including three expansion packs at PluginBoutique.
Also, another same price deal on InstaScale with three more WA plugins.

KarlHeinz

I have looked in the manual but I have not found any way to use the chordprogression with strum styles or whatever as midi drag and drop, otherway its useles for me, seems to be "only" a help for playing midi keyboard, please correct me if I am wrong, if I could get the chord progression as midi drag and drop might be nice as inspiration.

Top Bottom