What's new

InSIDious - the definitive SID chip plugin, available now (intro pricing!)

Andrew Aversa

Lead Developer
inSIDious - available now from Mike Clarke & Impact Soundworks!

Welcome to the definitive virtual version of the legendary SID sound chip, with true hardware-modeled oscillators, filters, envelopes, and sequencing.

Create truly authentic SID / C64 style chiptunes, or or push the chip beyond its original limits, creating never-before-heard thick basslines, aggressive leads, arpeggios, and much more.

Enjoy over 300 sounds designed by the most celebrated Commodore 64 and demoscene composers to fuel your inspiration.

Martin Galway
Rob Hubbard
Chris Huelsbeck
Fabian Del Priore
LMan
Jammer
Jason Page
Mark "TDK" Knight

inSIDious%20UI.png

INSIDIOUS IN ACTION

This demonstration was created by Fabio Marinelli and showcases the instrument used in a 100% authentic context (recreating the main theme from the classic game Commando).

ALL AUDIO DEMOS

INTRO WALKTHROUGH

RELEASE INFO

inSIDious
is available now for the introductory price of $49 through the end of July (MSRP: $64). It runs in the free Reaktor Player plugin (VST, AU, AAX) with full NKS compatibility.

Stay tuned for more videos and demos exploring inSIDious in even more depth!

Last edited:
Hot damn that Commando theme...so many good (and frustrating) memories. Sounds exactly like the original.

Hope it ain’t as hard to compose with as the original though ;)

Not strictly a SID memory, but getting the Rob Hubbard thalamusic tape with Zzap 64 was a beautiful and wondrous thing to my 12yr old self. Treasured it.

Every decade or so, someone brings back the SID...

My first-ever industry job involved early Commodore chips, and even their synthesis capabilities.

Nostalgia, for sure.

fantastic!! a very very faithful Commando remake :emoji_heart_eyes:!!! finally a sid emulator with ring modulation and hard sync ... It will be mine !!!

I've been using the older version and it's by far the best SID emulation I've tried so far compared to QuadraSID, HyperSID and Chipsounds. Mike did an outstanding job with it and I can only guess this will be even more refined.

In that case I believe you are in for a treat. This is almost a complete re-write; more accurate root waveforms, sound effect generator, vastly improved 6581 filter, DAW tempo sync, last-note legato, 8580 support, etc. He's been testing against four different SID revisions to get cycle-accurate output and nail down even the most eccentric elements of the chip's behavior (e.g. filters and envelopes.)

Of course, beyond the sound engine improvements, there's full NKS support, hundreds of snapshots, and the reworked UI too!

In that case I believe you are in for a treat. This is almost a complete re-write; more accurate root waveforms, sound effect generator, vastly improved 6581 filter, DAW tempo sync, last-note legato, 8580 support, etc. He's been testing against four different SID revisions to get cycle-accurate output and nail down even the most eccentric elements of the chip's behavior (e.g. filters and envelopes.)

Of course, beyond the sound engine improvements, there's full NKS support, hundreds of snapshots, and the reworked UI too!

Great! This looks really interesting.
Any idea when ISIDIOUS will actually be ready to be released?
Thanks

Hah I just dl'd the reaktor version of this this morning. Looking forward to seeing how this shapes up!

Later this month :)

And today, here is another demo, this time from LMan, using 19 instances of inSIDious all with presets included in the plugin. No other sounds used. WOW.

it's really amazing ... just listening to these 2 songs would really seem like the best sid emulation ever made ... I've never heard such a faithful sound ... obviously it will be tested well because there are so many things to evaluate... I can't wait to doing it

We're still wrapping up presets - over 300 and counting - from our esteemed sound designers. This includes authentic sounds/banks from classic games and tunes as well as brand-new sounds.

Speaking of sounds, let's check out more demos in the official playlist! We'll be posting a new demo every few days, so stay tuned!

I've heard the Last Ninja 2 Central Park loading theme literally at least a few thousand times, and this version sounds almost exactly like the original. Are you sure you didn't accidentally use the original music? :grin:

I'm really not familiar with the SID emulators, have all of them sounded this authentic or did this just nail the thing?

I've heard the Last Ninja 2 Central Park loading theme literally at least a few thousand times, and this version sounds almost exactly like the original. Are you sure you didn't accidentally use the original music? :grin:

I'm pretty sure that the guy who made that remake (Fabio Marinelli) will also share video with InSIDious rendition :)

I listened carefully to all the songs proposed so far and I am really surprised ... I tried some vst sid emulation but I never found what I was looking for, here it seems to me there is everything ... PWM, ring mod, hard sync, management of combined waves ...
and also the filter that i have heard on ocean loader 3 also sounds great great ... in the middle part of the song it's amazing!!!
it is clear that it must be tried but from what I hear we are in front of what will be by far the best sid emulation on market ... those songs are incredible !!

Time to unveil release date & pricing!

inSIDious will be available to the world on July 15th, for the introductory price of $49 (MSRP: $64). Want to stay posted on the news? Feel free to sign up for our mailing list (bottom of any page on our site)

inSIDious runs in the free Reaktor Player plugin (VST, AU, AAX) with full NKS compatibility. And we'll have a video walkthrough day 1 showcasing some of its key features and sounds... so stay tuned!

Last edited:
Time to unveil release date & pricing!

inSIDious will be available to the world on July 15th, for the introductory price of $49 (MSRP: $64). Want to stay posted on the news? Feel free to sign up for our mailing list (bottom of any page on our site)

inSIDious runs in the free Reaktor Player plugin (VST, AU, AAX) with full NKS compatibility. And we'll have a video walkthrough day 1 showcasing some of its key features and sounds... so stay tuned!

EXCITING. Looking forward to seeing this in action.

Top Bottom