What's new

Infinite Woodwinds — Welcome to the Next Generation // Update 1.1 adds an E-flat clarinet!

i'm liking mainly on the extremely low memory footprint, flexibility of the instruments, consistencies and wide range of instruments sampled. Tone wise not too bad as well. However, i'm curious how complex is the programming part. Lots of midi CC involved is it ?

Ouch Aaron, exactly the day I returned to work...you should have some mind reading capabilities, now I have to wait for this evening to listen to the demos. :crying:

And now striiiings time!!

Last edited:
Btw, the demo for Dance of the Reed flutes.....is that Infinite Strings i'm hearing ??? hehe
No, starting development tomorrow. I've yet to actually record anything. Everything's planned out, though.

i'm liking mainly on the extremely low memory footprint, flexibility of the instruments, consistencies and wide range of instruments sampled. Tone wise not too bad as well. However, i'm curious how complex is the programming part. Lots of midi CC involved is it ?
You can download MIDI files for each demo and see for yourself. Most of the parts were just performed right in. I use Geco MIDI for Leap Motion and it lets me do up to 5 controllers with a single hand. Playing in Dynamics, Vibrato Depth and Rate is all very easy and intuitive with it.

The whole thing is very fun to play. I'd spend hours just soloing.

If you only have 1 controller, you can always perform the controllers 1 by 1, or draw in vibrato later.

Whether you're playing or sequencing, you're using Dynamics, Note Velocity and Note Duration to shape any line and any note, be it long or short. Use Vibrato for added expression. You can also play Vibrato right on the modhweel/with a breath controller. If you're playing, you're doing it all at the same time, so sometimes you can get a piece done as fast as you can play the parts in. Very fast and complex runs are easier if you just sequence them.

When I was updating the Mars demo for the release of woodwinds (I had to throw out the lib that was in there and do all the woodwind parts again for Infinite Woodwinds), it took me a single afternoon to get all 15 woodwind parts recorded. I'm talking about ~7 minutes per part here.

But even if you suck at playing, you'll get better results in a shorter time even if you're sequencing (at least I did), since you already know if your head how your want the note to sound and you just draw exactly that in the CC1 lane. You don't worry whether "it can do this type of melody" so melody complexity doesn't really impact the time it takes to draw in the controllers. You don't have to hunt for articulations 'till you find the right one, or do stretching or anything. Think of CC1 as the exact amount of breath, with each of the 127 values important and noticeable. You can hear vibrato even when the amount is small, and what you're actually hearing is the Dynamics slider moving by ~2 or ~3 values (out of 127) in the background. Full dynamic range is at your disposal and you have infinite ways to inflect a single note.

Wow.
This sounds great and like something I actually need. Insanely small RAM footprint for all the things it does. How is the CPU workload?
If you enable mixed mic, its CPU usage is reduced by 40% and is then less than that of an average patch.

As I was updating some Infinite Brass demos for the woodwinds release, I was switching out the existing woodwind instruments in the project. I all cases total CPU usage went down (using Mixed Mic), project sizes went down, project loading and saving time went down by A LOT.

I can run the Mars demo, fully mixed and all, at 1024 buffer on my old i5 4690 in real time. I suppose if you have a better interface solution than a Scarlet on Windows, it's working even better.

Mixed Mic can be enabled with a controller, so you can pick one of the 5 mixes that you like, work with that and then easily switch to triple mics and whatever mix you dialed in before rendering.

I've got some crappy old i5 from 2014 (I can't even remember what it is) and I could run a full brass section without a hitch. I basically threw out my other brass libraries because the brass allowed me to get stuff done very very quickly.

These sound amazing @aaronventure. Hope you get lots of takers.

I've got some crappy old i5 from 2014 (I can't even remember what it is) and I could run a full brass section without a hitch. I basically threw out my other brass libraries because the brass allowed me to get stuff done very very quickly.

And Woodwinds are even lighter, both on RAM and CPU :cool:

Yeah I quote that.

This orchestra will be great for the future Surface I'll buy.

Top Bottom