What's new

Infinite Series (Aaron Venture) thread

I think you're not the only one, a lot of people are very much looking forward to get a copy to complete their playable orchestra.

I think you're not the only one, a lot of people are very much looking forward to get a copy to complete their playable orchestra.
Absolutely! Do you/anyone think we only get 1 string instrument per patch? I remember in a previous post we will get those detailed patches of Aaron Venture. Or also ensemble or per string instrument group patches? That's the only thing I find a pity about IW and IB, that if I want 4 trumpets, I have to load 4 patches (with 4 times the amount of CPU). I hope IS doesn't need to have 16 violins patches if I want a full V1 group.

Absolutely! Do you/anyone think we only get 1 string instrument per patch? I remember in a previous post we will get those detailed patches of Aaron Venture. Or also ensemble or per string instrument group patches? That's the only thing I find a pity about IW and IB, that if I want 4 trumpets, I have to load 4 patches (with 4 times the amount of CPU). I hope IS doesn't need to have 16 violins patches if I want a full V1 group.
Or maybe I use IW and IB wrong all this time haha

It's a bit more complex than that.

The way IS is said to work - keep in mind we know very little and won't know for sure until it's released - is that it will consist of single instruments. Looking at the way the Infinite Series is created, there's not really any way to sample a group of musicians (or even solo instruments in a wet room) and phase align them with satisfactory results. So even if we might get ensemble patches for IS there will still be X number of violins playing under the hood. It might help somewhat with CPU usage, but I doubt there will be a huge difference. The samples of the solo players won't be combined to create an ensemble patch, or at least, I highly doubt it because that would defeat much of the purpose of the Infinite Series.

The whole point is that each player (each instrument) has its own quirks and doesn't play perfectly with each other (i.e. timing and pitch) creating the sense of a group of players. If multiple players/instruments were combined and rendered into static ensemble patches/samples to reduce CPU load, you would lose A LOT of the sound created by that. It would be too homogeneous since all instruments would have the exact same pitch drift, vibrato, dynamics, and so on.

Ah oke thanks Jonathan Moray, Woodie1972 and vicontrolu, then I'm looking forward to it even more! Good luck Aaron Venture!

I finally pulled the trigger on Infinite Brass and Infinite Woodwinds after spending a week wrestling with dodgy release trails on Kontakt libraries, and wishing VSL libraries were fully phase-aligned...

...well, holy crap, I am in love with this thing after one afternoon. Yes, misuse it and you get a Casio keyboard. That's true of literally every VST, including all the synths!

But beyond the playability, the other thing I am really blown away by is how many different recording styles you can eke out of this thing. The following ten-minute noodle is mixed pretty much out-of-the-box. I slapped a tiny bit of tape compression on the master bus. Anything else added is noted in the track titles.

Aaron is a frickin' genius. Can't wait to add the strings and percussion in due course.

Hardly any latency, no real CPU strain. On my old i7 6700 laptop with 24 GB RAM. Not that memory is of any concern with these excellent libraries. So, very suitable for (live) performance on smaller more portable hardware.
No real CPU strain? I have been struggling with maxing out my CPU since I got Infinite. Sure, they are relatively easy on CPU when speaking of an instrument or two, but when you start stacking up, it brings my desktop i7 6700K to its knees. Here is a screenshot where I tested the Infinite WW and Brass orchestra, no other instruments or plugins loaded. Bus and master fx disabled. With mixed mic 3 (Bersa) these instruments hover around 50% and with three mics 60-70%. I had to raise my buffer up to 512 to make the library more usable. Those numbers would be ok, but when I start adding strings, percussion, choir, synths etc. I start to have a really bad time. But I don't blame the Infinite series for this. I think I would just need a computer with more cores and power to get the full orchestra up and running. And with 128-256 buffer! I tried running the same test with 128 and the meter jumped to 100% red. Totally unusable with low buffer sizes for me at least.

Attachments

• S1_Infinite.png
    S1_Infinite.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 63
Sorry to hear that. For me the instruments are perfectly usable. I don’t tend to use a lot of instances though, so that may explain my different experience. Since the original question pertains to a live use case, I’d argue that Infinite instruments are very usable and do not really strain the CPU. But I’m curious to hear other people’s experiences too?

128 buffer size is a tall order for that CPU given how many real-time convolution reverbs are running with a standard Infinite woodwind and brass ensemble, even with Mixed Mic. 3900X has no trouble running an entire IW + IB + other stuff template along with processing at 256 even with Mixed Mic off, but back on my old i5 4690 I had to bump it up to 1024 when mixing, and Mixed Mic had to be used.

Honestly, I think 512 is still alright (also depending on your interface, but mostly it's fine). Even 1024 is manageable, but definitely takes a bit of getting used to.

No real CPU strain? I have been struggling with maxing out my CPU since I got Infinite. Sure, they are relatively easy on CPU when speaking of an instrument or two, but when you start stacking up, it brings my desktop i7 6700K to its knees. Here is a screenshot where I tested the Infinite WW and Brass orchestra, no other instruments or plugins loaded. Bus and master fx disabled. With mixed mic 3 (Bersa) these instruments hover around 50% and with three mics 60-70%. I had to raise my buffer up to 512 to make the library more usable. Those numbers would be ok, but when I start adding strings, percussion, choir, synths etc. I start to have a really bad time. But I don't blame the Infinite series for this. I think I would just need a computer with more cores and power to get the full orchestra up and running. And with 128-256 buffer! I tried running the same test with 128 and the meter jumped to 100% red. Totally unusable with low buffer sizes for me at least.
Yeah even my older 6-core i7 5930k has problems with a full load, so much that I have to sub IW/IB instruments out to my Vienna rig. Then again, both of our CPUs are completely trounced by even a mid level Ryzen 5 now, so I'm looking to upgrade.

Top Bottom