What's new

Infinite Series (Aaron Venture) thread

I liked this piece a lot... so joyful! but the instruments, not so much. Is this a sax quartet (as labeled)? or are these mixed with some kind of synth

No, it's just the saxes, but to be honest they are mostly playing in the upper part of their range except for the contrabass sax. So I admit they sound a bit stressed and don't have that typical sound... should have transposed the whole thing I guess...

I think, of the woodwinds, the weak points are still the flutes, especially the extended flute family, and the oboes, including that bass oboe....
Yes, I think I've convinced myself that, for my needs (I'm quite happy with the flutes in IW now, but wherever they're not sufficient, I do already have VSL, in one direction, and SWAM, in the other) I don't 'need' the VSL SyWW package, but I might supplement IW with a couple of members of the VSL's old VI oboe family in their current 2 for 1 thing.

EDIT: I'm finding with the IW flute, if it's still not quite bright and airy enough for a given situation, it polishes up nicely with just a little eq boost around 3 or 4 kHz and a bit of an upper shelf boost above 10kHz.

Last edited:
@aaronventure A random gui bug: on some of the instruments some of the time (eg it just happened on Flute 1 for me, but doesn't happen all the time), the position menu initially comes up as the old style drop down menu then after one or a few further attempts eventually comes up with the new style graphical position selector.

I don't know if it is only me but I'm having strange notes hangs when humanize is enabled (I'm not sure if there is a precise threshold but the more I bring this up the worst it gets). If I play fast short notes some times the note hangs forever and I have to press it again to make it stop. Sometimes it plays longer than my press time and stops after it.

It is not easily reproducible but I was able to reproduce it many times, I didn't find the exact way in which it happens and I'll do further tests but it seems not happening with humanize disabled.

Look if you are able to reproduce it, maybe it is only on my side. It happened with flutes and bassoon but this is because I tried fast short notes only on them.

Anyone?

@aaronventure A random gui bug: on some of the instruments some of the time (eg it just happened on Flute 1 for me, but doesn't happen all the time), the position menu initially comes up as the old style drop down menu then after one or a few further attempts eventually comes up with the new style graphical position selector.

I think it depends on where you click, the old menu should be there with the new GUI. If I remember correctly if you click on the symbol you have the old menu, if you click on the letters you have the new GUI. Both are useful.

I don't have it in front of me right now so I cannot try.

I think it depends on where you click, the old menu should be there with the new GUI. If I remember correctly if you click on the symbol you have the old menu, if you click on the letters you have the new GUI. Both are useful.

I don't have it in front of me right now so I cannot try.
Oh I see! Sorry, @aaronventure, not a bug. Yes, it seems clicking on symbol or word brings the new gui, clicking the very rightmost part of the text box brings up the drop down menu. Cheers!

Anyone know if the volume of 2.0 is similar to 1.1? Going to go over my old projects and so I'm curious what kind of adjustments to expect!

Please note: it sounds like pitch bend is much more sensitive (due to Aaron extending it to 3 semitones). Any old projects where you've used pitch-bend to give a bit of ensemble variation will now sound like it is way out of tune, so you'll have to reduce the bend value.

Anyone know if the volume of 2.0 is similar to 1.1? Going to go over my old projects and so I'm curious what kind of adjustments to expect!
2.0 sounds louder to me. I didn't compare the levels so it could just sound more powerful. I have a feeling compression was a big part of this update.

EDIT: Pro Q reports more high frequency (and I think noise in general) in 2.0. In 1.1 the instruments (atleast the flutes for certain) appeared to have a pretty steep cut nearing 20k. The reason I mention compression is because in 1.1 no matter where you put the breath noise setting it never quite sounds like it's apart of the sound source 🤔 I tried to remedy these thing with compressors and saturation but there's no need for this is 2.0. it is all smushed in together quite nicely!

Last edited:
I just spent a few minutes playing fast on flute and bassoon with maximum humanise and didn't get any hanging notes. (Cubase 10, breath controller and midi keyboard via loopbe and midi-ox.)
No hanging notes sorry mate

It has to be a Reaper thing then!! I'll try with the standalone and see, I already tried with every plugin disabled on the track. I'll find out the cause and let you know. Thank you.

I think the hanging notes are due to humanization delaying note on events to after when note off events happen, so if you play a note thats too short sometimes it'll get stuck. Apparently note off events aren't moved so that you don't accidently trigger legato when you don't want it.

Anyway, this update sounds incredible! Really looking forward to the strings.

Would it be fair to say that, of this fabulous smörgåsbord of wind, one weaker point is the oboe?

I think I've noticed it's one of few instruments not being singled out for praise much; and, to my non-expert ears, it sounds somewhat thinner and blander compared with the robust organic character of the other IW2.0 instruments and IB1.5.

I'd be curious to know what more experienced listeners think of the oboes.

The oboe is quite thin indeed. EQ tells me it's fundamentals are low in comparison to other libraries. High shelf around 1k or so and adjust volume to make up for the loss seems to bring body back to the oboe, particularly in the low range 👍

I think the hanging notes are due to humanization delaying note on events to after when note off events happen, so if you play a note thats too short sometimes it'll get stuck. Apparently note off events aren't moved so that you don't accidently trigger legato when you don't want it.

Anyway, this update sounds incredible! Really looking forward to the strings.

Yeah I think the same thing! It is not a bug but more a "feature" that cause this, I have to try to write down the notes because I only tried to play them directly from my S88 MK1 and maybe it is the keyboard.

I remade my model of the star wars opening with infinite woodwinds 2 and infinite brass 1.5. All woodwinds and brass come exclusively from this series. Do not hesitate to take a critical look because I want to use it for educational / promotional purposes
excellent job! the only thing I didn't like is how the brass plays in the 0:48 part, I guess it's a performance issue not the library's fault. There's also a weird sound coming in @ 0:53. not sure if that's a trumpet or what but it sounds obviously bad to me. As for the WW I have no particular remarks, but that because they were well buried in this inherently loud/brassy piece I guess

It does sound great! Yeah, I was going to mention the same feedback around 0:50.

Also, I wonder if the balance between high/mid/low brass can be tweaked. The trumpets felt too quiet compared to the horns and upper-low brass (I guess trombones? I actually don't know what the instrumentation should be here). The low brass felt slightly weak too, like when the melody repeats the second time on the horns, and the low brass has syncopated bouncy rhythms with the timpani - it feels like they aren't as prominent as I'd expect.

excellent job! the only thing I didn't like is how the brass plays in the 0:48 part, I guess it's a performance issue not the library's fault. There's also a weird sound coming in @ 0:53. not sure if that's a trumpet or what but it sounds obviously bad to me. As for the WW I have no particular remarks, but that because they were well buried in this inherently loud/brassy piece I guess

It's curious, I also find this passage a little curious. On my score they are triplets but when you listen to the original recording it's almost sixteenth notes. Finally it is perhaps not this defect that you noted?

Top Bottom