What's new

Infinite Series (Aaron Venture) thread

I'm currently an FLS user, tried Reaper once and didn't much like it. Out of curiosity what advantages do you see in Reaper over FLS?
I'm Reaper/FL studio user as well. I love FL, consistency of UI, good looks, BRSO articulate but workflow based on CC is too messy in FL for me (I really don't like using automation clips). In Reaper CC management is just much much easier and better structured, also it is super flexible - I made most of things to work similar to FL studio, zooming, mouse behavior etc.). And with this theme reaper can look a bit better + familiar ;)

I'm Reaper/FL studio user as well. I love FL, consistency of UI, good looks, BRSO articulate but workflow based on CC is too messy in FL for me (I really don't like using automation clips). In Reaper CC management is just much much easier and better structured, also it is super flexible - I made most of things to work similar to FL studio, zooming, mouse behavior etc.). And with this theme reaper can look a bit better + familiar ;)

Why did you use automation clips? If you're "drawing" in dynamics and such you're much better off using the event editor. In my opinion using FL patcher in combination with BRSO is the god of orchestral programming. If you put some time in creating presets, you can just drag in the instrument preset you created and start working. With all the benefits of BRSO Articulate :)

I'm currently an FLS user, tried Reaper once and didn't much like it. Out of curiosity what advantages do you see in Reaper over FLS?
Currently, I'm using REAPER as well and have been doing ALL my work in REAPER for the past year, but I've been doing SFX and foley in REAPER for a couple of years so it's been a gradual transition. Before that, I used Cubase and long before that I used FLS.

There's nothing directly wrong with FLS but the workflow in FLS is not very well suited for orchestral or more complex/organic music. It's great for EDM, HipHop, Trap, etc, not so much when you need a lot of midi automation with like 5 different automation lanes for a large number of instruments. I'm not saying you can't make good music in FLS, you can, but for me, it felt like the program worked against me, and I became more and more frustrated with the way it did things compared to the way I wanted to do things.

It's been a good few years since I've even seen FLS so I'm unsure of what it looks like now, but before, it used these patterns that really didn't work very well for making music that's not based on... well, patterns. Or you had to do these long patterns that stretched the whole song and that always seemed like a burden to work with. Also, the way it deals with instruments and sounds (placing each as a new channel in the rack and you having to create groups to keep them somewhat organized, but still separate from the playlist so you have to find them in the rack and then create a clip to put into the playlist) never really resonated with me. This was before years before BRSO. And I do like the way you can use different articulations by changing the note colour in FLS, you could most likely do something similar in REAPER.

One of the biggest reasons for me was that REAPER is extremely flexible with a lot of user-created scripts for almost everything you can think of. I've also created a few of my own custom scripts for some of my libraries. For example, I've created a couple of humanization scripts for the Infinite Series, some basic CC automation so that I can have a marcato or swell or any other standard articulation with just the click of a button. Small things like that. And it doesn't need a dongle... like Cubase did. Which I found to be a real pain.

Why did you use automation clips? If you're "drawing" in dynamics and such you're much better off using the event editor. In my opinion using FL patcher in combination with BRSO is the god of orchestral programming. If you put some time in creating presets, you can just drag in the instrument preset you created and start working. With all the benefits of BRSO Articulate :)
Sorry, my bad. I'm not using automation clips, I'm using CC lane in piano roll (I don't like event editor, I really prefer to have one window for piano roll + cc + velocity and in FL it's not possible to see all of them at once). I tried to use automation clips to have multiple CC's in one place, one under another, but I really disliked that approach. And CC management in piano roll is messy imo, it's hard to find certain CC's when I have 30-40 and more of those.

Well some users already answered you, I must add the "total customization" I did in Reaper. I drawed icons, I wrote or edited scripts, I shaped everything to my needs and if I want to change my workflow I can everytime I want. I set up a LOT of function with one-click shortcuts. I could simply say "If I can think it I can do it with Reaper".

Another thing is the continuous improvements and updates the developers brings to the DAW. They fix things, they add things, they listen to the users and so on.

Nothing is perfect but for me Reaper is the go to for "more making music -> less adjusting things".

Thanks for the responses. I may give Reaper a try again at some point, the customization options do sound very nice (especially the scripts etc. since I'm a programmer). But many of the flaws you bring out in FL have not proven to be a problem for me (except not being able to see velocity and CCs at the same time :emoji_angry:). At least for now I'll be sticking with FL since my workflow is quite "annoyance" free.

All this Reaper talk, and even though I use Cubase, there's one thing I know for sure...

That the strings currently behave in the exact same way between both DAWs. They make absolutely no sound at all.

I wonder when we'll be able to do a full comparison!

Thanks for the responses. I may give Reaper a try again at some point, the customization options do sound very nice (especially the scripts etc. since I'm a programmer). But many of the flaws you bring out in FL have not proven to be a problem for me (except not being able to see velocity and CCs at the same time :emoji_angry:). At least for now I'll be sticking with FL since my workflow is quite "annoyance" free.

FL Studio now allows you to do a lot of things with Python as well. :)

To shorten the waiting time, maybe a question would help :grin:

What do you guys use to blend Infinite Woods n Brass with other libraries? What do you use for positioning / spatialization?

I know - this has been partially discussed before, but it’s very hard to screen such a monster-thread for snippets of information, and I wonder whether there is a consensus on what works best?

Do you bypass the internal seating tool / impulse responses?

I am still unexperienced in this field and would find your thoughts on this very interesting.

Longer Version
So maybe I could start with a list with the basic possibilities that crossed my mind and what I tried (beginner in this field, so bare with me). First the obvious:

1. Use the built-in seating tool and reverb (one of the two bigger halls, depending on which matches more closely with the other libs used in the project). In addition a bit of glue reverb on the section bus or master channel.

2. Use the built-in seating tool and reverb (studio hall, to keep it as dry as possible). In addition more glue reverb on the section bus and / or master channel to put all libs into the same room.

This very basic approach in some ways works surprisingly well for me depending on which other libs are involved, but I don’t have the ear yet to really judge the finesses and I assume that things can get messed up fast. For example: the seating positions in the AV libs will not precisely match the ones in the other libs (and every one is slightly or even drastically different in this regard), both with regard to stereo field and depth. I can personally not hear when e.g. a Trombone is slightly more to the left or right than one from a different lib, but even I can hear if the Trombone suddenly sits in another section or when the differences in depth are too pronounced :) I would then try to remedy this with Precedence or just some low pass filter or so to push the AV instruments a bit more to the back or front if needed, but this is probably highly unprofessional and not recommended (because combining the internal spatialization machine with a second external one seems to call for trouble in so many regards).

3. Completely turn off the inbuilt impulse responses, set all instruments to center position, and then use an external positioning tool + reverb (e.g. MIR or Precedence + Breeze, or more complex with separate ERs and then tail using different reverbs).

Rationale: As the AV libs depend so much on internal impulse responses for spatialization and reverb, I thought that it might not be the best idea to introduce yet another set of additional impulse responses on top.

I did not find a way to turn the reverb impulse responses completely off without messing in the depths of the Kontakt settings - how do you do that? And: I assume this is not intended at all, otherwise it would be mentioned / documented somewhere?

I tried to center position the AV instruments, choose the studio hall (as I don’t know how to turn it completely off), then position the instruments with Precedence, and either used Breeze as an algorithmic reverb (which can be linked with Precedence), or also Spaces II as the reverb. Advantage: I can then position the instruments correctly with the instruments of the other libs. Disadvantage: Depending on the situation (and probably mood - sometimes I think it sound horrible, sometimes I feel it’s adequate), the sonic result is less than optimal. Especially when also including other dry instruments in the same way (I tried with the Chris Hein Orchestra and Sample Modeling), there is something very artificial, even „metallic“ in the end result that I do not like.

I do not have MIR and have not tried that.

In case someone uses Precedence: do you then use it in combination with Breeze (or another algo reverb), or with a convolution reverb (like Spaces)? I think here basically my question is whether it’s a good idea to use (on top of the plethora of internal impulse responses) yet another convo reverb (for example the positioning info in the impulse responses in the convo reverb will also slightly differ from the internal stuff, introducing trouble).

So in essence: what is the recommended method to match AV libs with others? What gives you the best results?

As I’ve spent the last year or so (since entering this fascinating world of sampled orchestras) predominantly with testing, comparing, learning stuff and suffering a bit from „paralysis by overthinking“ instead of actually composing something worthy to show off, I can unfortunately not simply post several projects using different methods in context and ask „what do you like the best?“, but I hope that this day will come soon :)

Of course, I also hope so much that we can soon simply use the full AV orchestra on it’s own as an „internally coherent“ package, including strings and percussion :dancer:I found out that being forced to use keyswitch libs is against the human rights :P

I had wondered how useful these would be in a big band context. Recently did an exercise re-harmonizing the Brinstar track from the original Metroid...

Originally just had a single instrument for the melody, but Infinite series is so easy to use I ended up with some parts fully orchestrated for big band:

View attachment Metroid Theme v00-04.mp3

This arrangement didn't really call for a variety of articulations and dynamics (nor did I spend time tweaking them), but it's still impressive how much everything just works (setting aside the occasional stuck note).
Brek, your arrangement is beautiful--I love it!

Thinking about having more instant playability to get away from MIDI programming, keyswitches and all of that, I just recently dove into the Infinite Series walkthrough stuff, and WOW! Now I have buyer's remorse for not prioritizing these over a whole bunch of other orchestral libraries I've purchased in the past.

My amateur thought is that because of the inherent limitations of playing recorded samples and having a certain amount of the expressiveness baked in, some instruments are by their nature easier to emulate on a MIDI keyboard than others. Virtual pianos (and really anything percussive), for example, are relatively easy to render on piano-like keyboards, for obvious reasons. Guitars are much, much harder to emulate because the ways in which articulations are played on a guitar are so physically different than as executed via keystroke.

So for the orchestral groups, I would opine that the order in which expressive articulation options makes the most difference, from most to least critical, are:

1) Brass
2) WWs
3) Strings
4) Percussion

Which means if I splurge on AV, I would go for the Infinite Brass first. Does this hierarchy make sense in other peoples' opinions or experience?

Really impressed with the AV series stuff released so far.

Thinking about having more instant playability to get away from MIDI programming, keyswitches and all of that, I just recently dove into the Infinite Series walkthrough stuff, and WOW! Now I have buyer's remorse for not prioritizing these over a whole bunch of other orchestral libraries I've purchased in the past.

My amateur thought is that because of the inherent limitations of playing recorded samples and having a certain amount of the expressiveness baked in, some instruments are by their nature easier to emulate on a MIDI keyboard than others. Virtual pianos (and really anything percussive), for example, are relatively easy to render on piano-like keyboards, for obvious reasons. Guitars are much, much harder to emulate because the ways in which articulations are played on a guitar are so physically different than as executed via keystroke.

So for the orchestral groups, I would opine that the order in which expressive articulation options makes the most difference, from most to least critical, are:

1) Brass
2) WWs
3) Strings
4) Percussion

Which means if I splurge on AV, I would go for the Infinite Brass first. Does this hierarchy make sense in other peoples' opinions or experience?

Really impressed with the AV series stuff released so far.
I'd agree with that hierarchy! And despite some small niggles I have with the transition/legato sounds of the WW, they are a very close second to the brass. As I said, I got rid of Berlin Woods when I got IW. And I loved Berlin Woods.

happy FL user here though i wish the "edit events" thing can be improved

1) Brass
2) WWs
3) Strings
4) Percussion

I think the ordering will depend very heavily on what music style you're making, as well as what libraries are being used...

I think the ordering will depend very heavily on what music style you're making, as well as what libraries are being used...
Very much this. Personally, at least as somebody who tends to write strings-first (a habit owning IB may hopefully break), I feel like keyswitching tends to hold back the sound of my string sections far more than others. I can get away with articulations in other sections easily, but they never have the flexibility I want with strings. Even a lumbering, reverb-soaked behemoth like Spitfire Brass can be coaxed into an acceptable, even somewhat realistic, performance.

The problem, of course, is that it has to be coaxed. And not in the Infinite way, that being massaging the CCs and making microsecond changes to the note timing for a natural instrument response - no... you're doing the same thing just for the purpose of debugging and patching over obvious holes in the library's programming. BIG difference. No Infinite experience yet, but I've at least toyed around with the SWAM instruments and lemme just say that this is a REALLY big distinction; for all of you "you have to tweak your MIDI just as much as traditional libraries if not more!" naysayers out there.

Back on topic: by comparison to brass and wind, string libraries tend to have unacceptably clunky legato, dynamics issues, bad crossfades, etc. - by my standards, disappointingly inelegant. Not even in the same zip code as agile.

If all three of these were out, I'd certainly buy IS first. In that way, I think doing it second to last may have been a genius business decision. Despite not having added them to my palette yet, the simple fact that IW and IB exist has completely changed the way I think about writing for both sections. I think I'm going to buy them soon, I got some extra hours at work the past few weeks.

Very much this. Personally, at least as somebody who tends to write strings-first (a habit owning IB may hopefully break), I feel like keyswitching tends to hold back the sound of my string sections far more than others. I can get away with articulations in other sections easily, but they never have the flexibility I want with strings. Even a lumbering, reverb-soaked behemoth like Spitfire Brass can be coaxed into an acceptable, even somewhat realistic, performance.

The problem, of course, is that it has to be coaxed. And not in the Infinite way, that being massaging the CCs and making microsecond changes to the note timing for a natural instrument response - no... you're doing the same thing just for the purpose of debugging and patching over obvious holes in the library's programming. BIG difference. No Infinite experience yet, but I've at least toyed around with the SWAM instruments and lemme just say that this is a REALLY big distinction; for all of you "you have to tweak your MIDI just as much as traditional libraries if not more!" naysayers out there.

Back on topic: by comparison to brass and wind, string libraries tend to have unacceptably clunky legato, dynamics issues, bad crossfades, etc. - by my standards, disappointingly inelegant. Not even in the same zip code as agile.

If all three of these were out, I'd certainly buy IS first. In that way, I think doing it second to last may have been a genius business decision. Despite not having added them to my palette yet, the simple fact that IW and IB exist has completely changed the way I think about writing for both sections. I think I'm going to buy them soon, I got some extra hours at work the past few weeks.
Cool reflections, that totally sum up my own thoughts & feelings. Thanks for this. Good post!

Top Bottom